Hawai'i On PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawai'i On PBS

There was a real good show on PBS tonight (at least in SD) about Hawai'i. "Over Hawai'i" covered all the islands except Niihau, photographed mostly from a helicopter, good narration and very nice music. Produced by channel 9 in Seattle, which has CDs for sale. The show brought back so many pleasant memories, so often I'd go, "Oh, we were there!". At age 65 it is a little amazing looking at that Na Pali coast and thinking we hiked it 3 times to Kalalau, I don't see any way that can happen again. A treasured memory: a hike from Koke'e, we called it the Ginger Trail, I don't know what the official name is, but you do go through a vast forest of yellow ginger, you emerge upon a stream fed pond surrounded by another forest of yellow ginger, a water fall at the lip dropping into Waimea Canyon which stretches far off to the sea. Wow. What a place! And of course Maui, its hard to look in any direction and not see beauty. Too many hikes to Waimoku Falls to count. On and on, so many wonderful memories.

Re: Hawai'i On PBS

Did it include pledge breaks featuring folks from Seattle, or your local crew? The station here (producers KCTS-TV) featured a number of our local "Hawai`i Radio Connection" crew as hosts and phone volunteers in pre-recorded breaks for national use. (I was unavailable to join in on the taping nights, unfortunately.)

Comment

It ran uninterrupted in SD with about a 5 minute standard pledge plea at the end. Another show about Kilauea started right afterwards but I drifted off to sleep.

The cable company here (Cox) does a nice job of providing lots of music channels however Hawaiian is not there. A commercial AM station here used to run Ports Of Paradise, but the station changed formats at least 5 years ago. Friends in Hawai'i get a Hawaiian music channel from their cable company, I think its Oceanic. Ages ago on trips there I'd slap a tape in a cassette recorder radio tuned to the local Hawaiian music station then go out for the day and hope for the best. Sometimes it was 20 minutes of screaming car ads, sometimes really good music. I bought a little machine to transfer music from tape to the computer (then to CD for listening in the car), but the machine broke down after I'd gone thru only about 1/4 of the tapes. I know I got most of my favorites on CD before the machine broke. Alas, no sales slip, so no return or refund. I set the computer on KKNE a lot, their selection is wider without so much repetition. KAPA is also a good choice.

Comment

i'm in SD, too, and watched it!

i DVR'd it so my wife can watch it... she wasn't home at the time.

i loved the music

a few of my facebook friends were watching, too.

joel

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
          Friends in Hawai'i get a Hawaiian music channel from their cable company, I think its Oceanic.
          For many years, DishTV has run (nationally) a Hawaiian music channel, which (as with all their music channels) is a feed provided by Muzak. For quite a while until mid-2007, I was the programmer for that channel (as well as several others, including classical and new-age music). Prior to my work, the programmer for the Hawaiian feed was Derrick Malama, now "Morning Edition" and "Kanikapila Sunday" host for Hawai`i Public Radio (and one of my mentors in learning about Hawaiian music).

Comment

What a wonderful job!! Did it ever get old or were you always happy to go to work every day?

There seems an almost infinite amount to know about Hawaiian music. Its one of those things about Hawai'i that a "fan" like me can only scratch the surface of, even more so with Hula. It was Hawaiian music that motivated me to learn the Hawaiian language.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalalau View Post
              What a wonderful job!! Did it ever get old or were you always happy to go to work every day?
              I like to say that I had seven great years with the company ... unfortunately, I worked there for eleven years. Corporate changes eventually made it a much less desirable position, then they closed our office and laid us off. Since then, the company has gone through and emerged from bankruptcy, and been sold yet again.

But when it was fun - yes! Basically, I was paid to listen to and select music (of all kinds) all day long.

Comment

Working...
              X