Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

America's Top Model - Going 'hapa' in Hawaii?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America's Top Model - Going 'hapa' in Hawaii?

Blackface on 'America's Next Top Model'
    Continuing the resurgence of a makeup practice long considered taboo, "America's Next Top Model" featured a number of models painted with dark makeup to resemble bi-racial women. On the episode, which aired tonight (Oct. 28), host Tyra Banks said the goal was to create an editorial celebration of the "Hapa" (that's Hawaiian for mixed-race) children of immigrants who relocated to Hawaii to work as sugar cane farmers in the mid-19th century...

[Tyra] Banks tasked models with interpreting exotic racial combinations like "Russian-Moroccan," "Native American-East Indian," and "Botswanan-Polynesian," photographing them herself in the green reeds of a sugar plantation on the island of Maui... The models were sent to makeup, where each was painted with varying degrees of dark body makeup to match the perceived skin tone of the corresponding race they were conveying.
    Without, hopefully, getting into an argument of what "hapa" means, I'm curious what you think about this practice. Is it a tribute to, and celebration of, mixed races and "people of color"? Or is it an insult, a caricature, an ironic misstep into racism when the intent was obviously the opposite?

It always grates when national or international shows come here, then go home with nothing but footage of cheesy shirts and coconut bra luau parties. Obviously this trip to Hawaii was aiming for something a little higher. I can't help but think they missed the mark, though... a tone deafness that's unfortunately common across the mainstream fashion industry.

Re: America's Top Model - Going 'hapa' in Hawaii?

I'm curious about "Native American - East Indian" We are so varied in characteristics. For example the Plains and SW tribes have the higher cheekbones and other facial traits, are darker in complexion tone, whereas
    us from the NE and MW are lighter, don't have high cheekbones and other
    stereotypical ideas. No one thinks I'm NA but I am 100%.

I find it interesting that she chooses that word, she sounds like she is being "sincere" and she is mixed herself. I don't watch her show so I probably
    should've seen the episode before even commenting!

Comment

I don't watch the show, so I may be taking it out of context, but I think changing skin tone is no more offensive than changing hair color, consistency or length, changing eye color, painting eyes, eyelashes and brows, displaying tattoos or changing wardrobe. I find it no more offensive than various provocative poses models strike. In summary, the existence of the show tops any content it may contain with regard to offensiveness. Too bad MJ never appeared on the show (Or did he?).
      May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

I noticed that many news headlines called this practice "blackface." I contend this was in no way "blackface." Even if I had never lived here in Hawai`i, what Tyra did does not make the same statements as Lara Stone or the Australian skit. Those were intended to be African or African American. Dictionary definitions of blackface are 1) "an entertainer, esp. one in a minstrel show, made up in the role of a black." 2) " makeup applied to a performer playing a black person especially in a minstrel show; also : a performer wearing such makeup."

I am not biracial and cannot speak for those who are. But I can share my opinion. Hawai`i is very unique in its mixing of racial backgrounds, and I see that Tyra wants to share that idea. It is typical that the rest of the world would cry foul. I believe that is yet another precious thing about Hawai`i, and in generations to come racial equality lessons will come from Hawai`ian kama`aina.

Comment

Tyra Banks said the goal was to create an editorial celebration of the "Hapa" (that's Hawaiian for mixed-race) children of immigrants who relocated to Hawaii to work as sugar cane farmers in the mid-19th century...
          Whenever I want an outside authority's thought-provoking and insightful commentary on race relations and modern cultural heritage, I look to swimsuit models and afternoon-TV talk-show hosts.

No such thing as bad publicity. Maybe Sarah Palin or Paula Abdul are available as guest judges for her next round of competition...
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Working...
          X