Black Eyed Peas @ Bayfest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Eyed Peas @ Bayfest

When you combine one of the biggest acts in Hip-Hop with a military base operating under wartime security, what do you get???? Traffic, oh yes! Bigtime. The Marines and the promoters say they are not giving any refunds and pointing the finger of blame at the concertgoers for not planning better. But with all this bad publicity, I don't know if those folks have the simple luxury of telling all those angry ticketholders "Tough!" and ignoring the complaints.

http://www.khon2.com/mediacenter/loc...net&navCatId=3

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/20223/40/

http://www.khnl.com/global/story.asp?s=10939268

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...stalled+on+H-3

My take on the matter: The Black Eyed Peas aren't some washed-up heavy-metal band from the 1970s/'80s, which is what Bayfest has had as concert headliners up till this year. Perhaps the show's promoters should have realized that they needed a venue that offered more parking and better access than Kaneohe Marine Base to accomodate a concert of this magnitude.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Black Eyed Peas @ Bayfest

Having gotten their $ and with no refunds, it'll probably happen again.
    They have legit ground to stand on by saying planning should have been better by the concert goers who were probably the last minute type.
    I don't think the bases are on mega-alert status any more.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

If anyone wants to swallow military P.R. without any question, they can do so at their own peril. I'm going to maintain a level of skepticism, judging by the military's track record when it comes to forthrightness with the public (i.e. Pat Tillman, LaVena Johnson).

1) When Debbie Bookatz (the Marine Corp community marketing director) says that 90% of the tickets issued were used, note that she didn't mention how much of that portion included people who only got to see a small portion of the show. Thus, the amount of disatisfied patrons is well over 10%. But will that marketing director proudly state that to the press? Duh!!!
      The marines/concert promoters are making it seem like it is just a small minority of whiners who all came at the last minute. But the reality is that the number of disatisfied ticketholders is quite bigger than what they are willing to admit.

2) If you watch the KGMB report, there is the interview of the woman who was told to park in a spot so far away from the site, it took her 45 minutes to walk there. Now that is ridiculous! Even if someone walked from the farthest edge of the Aloha Stadium parking lot to the gate, it would take maybe 5-7 minutes. A 45 minute walk from a parking spot to the concert venue is a clear indication that the parking arrangements were hopelessly inadequate.
      This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

The way I look at it, for those who came early (about 90% of the ticket purchasers) they got the concert. To those who travelled late... well tough I say.

This is the same thing as being on time for a flight at the airport. Arrive 1 or better yet 2 hours (maybe more) you are just about assured to get your seat and flight out. Come to the airport late, you have to stand in a long check-in line, go to security, etc. before getting to the gate, and possibly miss your flight.

I think the same thing would apply to this concert event and should be to all others. The bigger the act the earlier you should come. No one is currently bigger than Black Eyed Peas who have dominated the charts with either a #1 or #2 record (or both) all summer long.

I am sure the sympathizers of / or actual ticket purchasers who missed the concert because of traffic will think otherwise, but my view is set on this one.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

It does seem tho that there is woefully inadequate access to the base and expediting entry was not planned well either. Had this been adressed better there probably would not have been the intense traffic bottleneck.
          Blame on both sides.

Good thing Woodstock wasn't set at the base!
          https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
            It does seem tho that there is woefully inadequate access to the base and expediting entry was not planned well either. Had this been adressed better there probably would not have been the intense traffic bottleneck.
            Traffic management and adequate parking arrangements are obvious issues that KMCAS needs to address if they ever plan to bring a hot act like the Black Eyed Peas to Bayfest in the future.

But there were other problems, as this story shows.

http://www.khnl.com/global/Category....autoStart=true

When any concert venue/facility is hosting a show that will attract thousands of people, it is the responsibility of those managing the event to provide proper wheelchair accessibility. Even if there are just a handful of such concertgoers, the management has an obligation to provide whatever accomodations are necessary to ensure the safety and wellbeing of patrons with disabilities. Telling them "Tough!" isn't an option.

Yet another sign that the Bayfest event planners were too inexperienced and inept at organizing a concert of this magnitude. While the entertainment taking place on the stage was world-class, it was strictly amateur night when it came to the organization and planning. That is the cold and hard truth.

Perish the thought!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              When any concert venue/facility is hosting a show that will attract thousands of people, it is the responsibility of those managing the event to provide proper wheelchair accessibility. Even if there are just a handful of such concertgoers, the management has an obligation to provide whatever accomodations are necessary to ensure the safety and wellbeing of patrons with disabilities. Telling them "Tough!" isn't an option.
              Agreed 100%. How could the event planners neglect the handicapped! I was so disappointed to see that story on last nights news. MCBH will be lucky if the Americans With Disabilities lets this one go with the casual comment "tough".
              ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

If some people got there at the end of the show, the show was either really short, they were really late, or the traffic/parking wasn't adequate. Maybe for some a combo of all three.

If they have that much difficulty, they should have distributed instructions and warnings along with the tickets when they were purchased.

Comment

Wasn't there a Woodstock 2 concert in the 80's?

Comment

Working...
                  X