Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tropic Thunder" film set to shoot on Kaua'i

Aloha from Kaua'i!
    Well, Kaua'i finally has a big production film coming to shoot here this summer!

It is called "Tropic Thunder" and stars Ben Stiller, who also directs - Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr., Nick Nolte and Owen Wilson with a much touted cameo by Tom Cruise!
    I went to the casting call for extras a week ago -- the usual, listen to the casting director talk about the film, fill out a card with your particulars - have your picture taken -- we'll call you (or not!).

It is set to start production here mid-July and go through October.

I was involved with one other film here on Kaua'i, - "To End All Wars" and that was one of the most fantastic experiences of my life -- so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll have use for me in this film!

I think we can thank Ben Stiller for our Kaua'i shoot - he has a home up in Kilauea and is a huge supporter of the island! Mahalo Ben!

Malama Pono,
    Janet

“Tropic Thunder” DreamWorks Pictures

cant wait to see this movie
    Feel the 'Tropic Thunder'

DreamWorks Pictures and Red Hour Films will bring production of the big-budget comedy “Tropic Thunder” to the Garden Isle this summer. The film, starring Hollywood heavyweights Ben Stiller, Jack Black, Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Cruise will be the first major studio production shot on Kaua‘i in more than five years. Principal photography is scheduled to begin in July, but production executives have been on the island since December. According to Kaua‘i Film Commissioner Art Umezu, filming will take place at several locations around the island, with a primary set “in the central southern area” of the island.

“What’s astounding is that all the filming will be done on Kaua‘i, with the exception of a few post and L.A. studio shots,” said Umezu. “That’s quite amazing in this day and age of digitized film technology.”

With a reported budget of more than $100 million, the film is poised to be one of the biggest productions ever brought to Kaua‘i, an island that has hosted such blockbusters as “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and the “Jurassic Park” series, also from DreamWorks.
    Last edited by admin; August 30, 2007, 06:55 PM. Reason: Found and linked source article, reduced to excerpt.
    *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
    http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

Re: “Tropic Thunder” DreamWorks Pictures

Lorna, a thread related to Tropic Thunder was started here a couple of months ago. The info you've provided seems a little outdated. Do you have a link for it? Also, if you link the source then you need to quote only a highlight or 2. Saves a lot of typing and keeps admin happy!

Comment

Re: “Tropic Thunder” DreamWorks Pictures

Tom Cruise is in it?

I'll pass.
        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Re: "Tropic Thunder" film set to shoot on Kaua'i

Here's more current news related to this production.

Owen Wilson Drops Out of Upcoming Comedy
          Owen Wilson, hospitalized after an apparent suicide attempt, has dropped out of the upcoming ensemble comedy "Tropic Thunder." The 38-year-old actor will not appear in the DreamWorks movie, already six weeks into production in Hawaii. Sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to comment, told The Associated Press that Wilson was to have a cameo role in the film. "Tropic Thunder" stars Jack Black, Robert Downey, Jr., and Ben Stiller, who is also directing.

Comment

opps sorry
            *Lorna* I'M BACK MISSING HAWAII
            http://www.myspace.com/lorna_uk

Comment

They were filming at the Kauai Sands Hotel. I had 4 days booked there in August, and they were wrapping up the first day i was supposed to stay there. I had to cancel the trip tho.

I was kinda interested to see what they did to the hotel for filming.

I guess I'll have to wait for the film.

Owen Wilson suidie attempt...what's up with that ? When I heard that last week, I was like "Geez, what could THAT guy be depressed about?"
              http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
              Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
              Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
                [...]Owen Wilson suidie attempt...what's up with that ? When I heard that last week, I was like "Geez, what could THAT guy be depressed about?
                I heard on tv a few days ago that it might have to do with his breakup with Kate Hudson. Sorry, can't remember whether it was the news or E.T. Anyway, there was mention that Kate's been "nice" to Owen; that there's no animosity. Still, that doesn't mean the guy can't be depressed over the break-up...if, indeed, that is the cause. However, depressed enough to attempt suicide takes it to a whole, 'nother level...one that needed medical intervention.

I'll take my doctor's beanie off now!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I heard on tv a few days ago that it might have to do with his breakup with Kate Hudson. Sorry, can't remember whether it was the news or E.T.
                  Only ET or Insider would report about him.

Don't think he's taking the breakup too hard, but then from what his brothers been saying in interviews, he's a very sensitive guy and voted "most likely to get married" among the Wilson brothers.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                  X