Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asian Cult Cinema

Originally posted by flying snow
    Hero (the cinematography is just breath taking)
    Yeahhh!!! Love that movie. Fantastic test for the video system too. That and Crouching Tiger are easily two of my most favorite Asian movies. Wasn't so big on House of Flying Daggers, but my wife loved it -- I told her I thought it was a "kung fu chick flick"

I'm a big fan of most Jackie Chan, usually more the not as recent ones. Rumble in the Bronx was awesome, as is Legend of Drunken Master. The various Police Story movies were fun too.

One must consider Kurosawa of course.

There was one kung fu movie I watched with friends a loooong time ago (like beginning of high school long ago!) in an artsy theater. I can never remember the name of it. But it had this gang of seven motorcycle kung fu guys. What I really remember from it was the scene where one of their members died, and they tied him to his motorcycle and ran him off a cliff in slow motion, complete with explosion in mid-air after a minute. The reason I remember it is because we all thought it was campy and hilarious, and we were getting dirty looks from others around us for laughing. Ah well :P

Comment

im a big asian movie fan. a big movie fan in general. been a HIFF member. my old business did dvd rentals and we specialized in asian/foreign movies.
      id recommend:
      banlieu 13 (district b13) french action movie
      shinobi awesome ninja movie
      the promise most expensive movie made in china. similar to house of flying daggers
      my sassy girl awesome 'chick flick' based on a real story
      infernal affairs someone mentioned andy lau? this movie reminds me of 'la confidental'. its so good that scorcese is directing nicholson, decaprio and a bunch of others in yet another (non-horror) remake of an asian movie renamed 'the departed'
      arahan korean action movie sort of like 'kung fu hustle' or 'volcano high'
      azumi japanese ninja movie, if youve seen this and liked it, youll love shinobi.
      park's trilogy of films, oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, sympathy for mrs vengeance these are the closest i'll watch to miike takeshi films anymore. i was never really into ultraviolence.
      SPL awesome chinese action movie starring donnie yen and sammo hung. a must see.

save the green planet if youve seen park's films, youll probably like this one too. its se7en+kpax put together.

imo, tom yum goong isnt as good as ong bak.

most of these are available for sale at my friend alex's store, toys n joys. yesasia and sensasian also carry these titles. id recommend yesasia, they never have bootlegs. tower video may have them but they charge alot.
      Last edited by Hellbent; September 4, 2006, 05:52 AM.
      Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
        This next guy ain't Asian, and if his "straight2dvd" work qualifies as cinema....you know who should just retire? Mr Aikiddo Man himself, Steven Seagal. My poor husband just loves the ol' s.o.b. and will get each and every dvd da bugga puts out....*sigh*...just looking to catch a glimpse of him busting an aikiddo move or two....pathetic, really.
        i never quite understood his appeal either. i mean some of his earlier movies were great. i watched a THS special on him, but havent watched his latest movies. i heard some were okay. a suprising amount of people rented his movies.
        Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
          im a big asian movie fan....
          id recommend...

most of these are available for sale at my friend alex's store, toys n joys. yesasia and sensasian also carry these titles. id recommend yesasia, they never have bootlegs. tower video may have them but they charge alot.
          thanks for your recommedations. very helpful. can you recommend the best shop to go to view these titles as rentals?
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

i wish i could still say come to my shop =(
            try diamond head video, alpha video (the one on king and dillingham), or video systems. i think theres an asian netflix-like unlimited rental also, but i dont recall the name of it.
            Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

im pretty sure i set the record for killing threads. is it my breath?
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

im pretty sure i set the record for killing threads. is it my breath?
                Oh? Put 'em up, man! I seem to be pretty good at it too... :\

Comment

i generally like those selections but "the promise" sucks pretty bad. i hear its not even successful in its home country of china. that's not bad for an art house type of movie but a very bad sign for a mainstream film.

banlieu 13 (district b13) french action movie
                  shinobi awesome ninja movie
                  the promise most expensive movie made in china. similar to house of flying daggers
                  my sassy girl awesome 'chick flick' based on a real story
                  infernal affairs someone mentioned andy lau? this movie reminds me of 'la confidental'. its so good that scorcese is directing nicholson, decaprio and a bunch of others in yet another (non-horror) remake of an asian movie renamed 'the departed'
                  arahan korean action movie sort of like 'kung fu hustle' or 'volcano high'
                  azumi japanese ninja movie, if youve seen this and liked it, youll love shinobi.
                  park's trilogy of films, oldboy, sympathy for mr vengeance, sympathy for mrs vengeance these are the closest i'll watch to miike takeshi films anymore. i was never really into ultraviolence.
                  SPL awesome chinese action movie starring donnie yen and sammo hung. a must see.

save the green planet if youve seen park's films, youll probably like this one too. its se7en+kpax put together.

imo, tom yum goong isnt as good as ong bak.

Comment

I dunno, i liked The Promise despite some of the cgi.
                    Heres an upcoming one I just heard of:
                    The Curse of the Golden Flower

http://imdb.com/title/tt0473444/
                    Zhimou directs Chow Yun Fat and Gong Li!!!!
                    Set to debut in December in a worldwide release
                    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Working...
                    X