NCL posts 4th Q $116 million loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCL posts 4th Q $116 million loss

I guess the Hawai'i cruise industry isn't doing too well, either!

NCL Co. Ltd. blames "challenges in Hawaii" for a $116 million fourth-quarter loss that also produced a loss for the cruise company's fiscal year, and said Monday morning it is looking at all options to cut Hawaii costs.

"Driving the decrease in net yields was downward pricing pressure in Hawaii, lower onboard revenues across our fleet ... and lower occupancy levels," the company said. Gross yields decreased 5.1 percent from Q4 2005. Payroll costs rose "principally attributable to the high crew costs associated with U.S. crew in our interisland Hawaii cruises," NCL said.

Hawaii operations represented 26.6 percent of fleet capacity compared to 19.6 percent in the fourth quarter of 2005.

"The fourth-quarter results continue to reflect the challenges we are experiencing from our expansion in interisland Hawaii cruises on our NCL America brand U.S.-flagged, U.S.-crewed ships," said CEO Colin Veitch.
    Uh. And one of the reasons why their labor costs are so high is because they have to recruit employees from CONUS (I've seen their tables at numerous career fairs up here) and then pay to ship them back and forth between wherever they live and then to Hawai'i where they'll work.

It'll be interesting to see how they can cut their costs but still maintain the level of service their guests have come to expect.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X