selling a car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling a car

I found someone to buy my car, but what documents do I need?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: selling a car

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    I found someone to buy my car, but what documents do I need?
    1) Certificate of title (buyer files this);
    2) Notice of transfer (seller files this).

Notify your insurance company to drop coverage as of date of transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
      1) Certificate of title (buyer files this);
      2) Notice of transfer (seller files this).

Notify your insurance company to drop coverage as of date of transfer.
      Where can I get that?

And the car has been sitting idle for a month, so there's no insurance on it

Comment

The title for the car should have all the necessary documentation with it. Also, I would include a bill of sale, stating it's being sold as is.
        Never be bored, and you will never be boring. --Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

And the car has been sitting idle for a month, so there's no insurance on it
          Are the registration and safety current?

Comment

Originally posted by Altivec View Post
            The title for the car should have all the necessary documentation with it. Also, I would include a bill of sale, stating it's being sold as is.
            You don't actually need a bill of sale. But it doesn't hurt to have one.

Adrian, I hope you find that title before someone else finds it. That's your claim to the car.

Generally at the bottom of the title is a perforated form you fill out and send in to DMV. This form is VERY important as it disavows you of any infraction from the date of receipt of that form to DMV on the vehicle. It also gives DMV a timetable to allow the new owner to register the car. They have 10-days to register it before penalties accrue.

If you cannot find your Title, go down to DMV and file for a lost title. Here on the Big Island this county will make require you to put a legal notice in the paper for a few days before issuing another title. DO NOT LOSE THIS CERTIFICATE!
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The NOTICE OF TRANSFER is the perforated section attached to the CERTIFICATE OF TITLE. Or, there is a separate card with the same information. Like Craig said, you need to file this to avoid being ticketed for citations as the registered owner of the car. You have 10 days to file it.

The new owners have 30 days to apply for a new CERTIFICATE OF TITLE before additional penalties accrue for late filing.

Comment

I had to get a replacement Certificate of Title for a car I sold last year. I went down to the satellite city hall in Ala Moana Center and they issued me one on the spot. There was a fee ($10., I think?) and, iirc, I had to show them the registration and ID. Sorry to be so vague...it's part of my short term memory!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  I had to get a replacement Certificate of Title for a car I sold last year. I went down to the satellite city hall in Ala Moana Center and they issued me one on the spot. There was a fee ($10., I think?) and, iirc, I had to show them the registration and ID. Sorry to be so vague...it's part of my short term memory!
                  Oh c'mon! I just came back from the Ala Moana Satellite City Hall to transfer my plates!

I need a new title because the car has been through a total of 3 license plates.

Comment

Oh c'mon! I just came back from the Ala Moana Satellite City Hall to transfer my plates!

I need a new title because the car has been through a total of 3 license plates.
                    Sorry, Adrian, but you've lost me. Did you have a difficult time getting a new title? I assume you're still discussing the car you're selling.

Comment

Working...
                    X