Place to work on your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Place to work on your car

I'm sure a lot of you have your own driveways, but I am not so lucky. I live in Waikiki and as I am lucky enough to have a parking spot, they do not allow people to work on their cars. I have always worked on my car for my own maintenance, not because I'm cheap but I just don't trust anyone but myself. That being said, is there anywhere I can go and do my own oil changes, tune-ups, etc? Parking lots, garages that are auto service friendly? If there isn't such a friendly lot, can you suggest a good garage for a tune-up? I have a Jeep Wrangler.

Re: Place to work on your car

I've always wondered how multi tenant buildings deal with that. That dillema came up one day when having a discussion on electric vehicles. Where does a condo owner plug the vehicle in for an overnight charge?

As a homeowner we take it for granted our garages and driveways. But it's gotta be hard for those who lack those facilities.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
      I've always wondered how multi tenant buildings deal with that.[...]
      I lived in a condo building in Hawaii Kai that kept 3 parking stalls on the parking structures roof top level available for residents to wash their cars. I doubt they would've allowed any servicing, tho', and I didn't see any going on.

The building I live in now allows emergency, minor car repairs (enough to drive it off the property!) and rinsing a car with a bucket of water. That's it! Of course, no charging facility!

For the first time, I was delayed in leaving my condo's parking structure the other day. A resident's car keys were lost and he had to call a tow truck to tow his Jeep to the dealer. I guess the Jeep must've had a computerized locking system otherwise a locksmith could've been called. Anyway, the car's owner found a tow truck that was low enough to drive into our parking structure. That was another first for me!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
        I've always wondered how multi tenant buildings deal with that. That dillema came up one day when having a discussion on electric vehicles. Where does a condo owner plug the vehicle in for an overnight charge?

As a homeowner we take it for granted our garages and driveways. But it's gotta be hard for those who lack those facilities.
        See, what you need to do is to hang out a big old, ugly extension cord over the side of your balcony to plug your car in.

All kidding aside, I used to illegally work on my car in my condo parking spot late at night or whenever possible, I take it to the driveway of my friend's house who gave permission of course. When done, took the friend out to lunch or dinner and called it a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane350 View Post
          I'm sure a lot of you have your own driveways, but I am not so lucky. I live in Waikiki and as I am lucky enough to have a parking spot, they do not allow people to work on their cars. I have always worked on my car for my own maintenance, not because I'm cheap but I just don't trust anyone but myself. That being said, is there anywhere I can go and do my own oil changes, tune-ups, etc? Parking lots, garages that are auto service friendly? If there isn't such a friendly lot, can you suggest a good garage for a tune-up? I have a Jeep Wrangler.
          Do you work on New Fords by any chance??? maybe we can barter something here
          I live right outside of Waikiki and that type of car repair happens all the time with me and my neighbors...

PM me and maybe we can exchange the occasional parking stall for the occassional car advice

Private Message me and maybe we can work something out...

Comment

Unfortunately, no I don't. A lot of newer work requires an OBD-II scanner which I don't have or know anything about. Thats one of the main reasons I bought a Jeep. Straight six is pretty easy to work on, and the Jeep forum community is very helpful & quite a large gathering. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane350 View Post
              as I am lucky enough to have a parking spot, they do not allow people to work on their cars.
              Do they have a on-site manager? If not, then you can do anything you want - as long as no one complains.

Comment

It's really important to be friends with the security guards.

I used to live in a high-rise on Date Street. Despite a rule prohibiting working on your car and a security patrol, I did two repairs on my car (at separate times) while I lived there. I bought the security guard a Zip Pac both times, promised him I wouldn't make a lot of noise or a mess, and he let me slide both times.

The first repair was a driveshaft bearing replacement. I had the car on jackstands (with me under it) the whole time, so it was very obvious to passers-by that I was working on my car. I guess this wasn't a problem for anyone. It also left a nasty mess on the ground, which I spent a lot of time cleaning up.

The second was a thermostat replacement. Not making a big mess with the coolant was a MAJOR chore. It made the repair take about 3 times longer than it should have, but I managed.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                  Do they have a on-site manager? If not, then you can do anything you want - as long as no one complains.
                  Yes, there is an on-site manager. My first week I saw a tenant doing an oil change and subsequently getting the book thrown at them! Anybody suggest a good garage for a tune-up?

Comment

Working...
                  X