UHM Men's Hoops Coach Gib Arnold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHM Men's Hoops Coach Gib Arnold

Anyone who cares already knows about this, of course, but let's get a thread started so we can comment on the early days of his administration. The press conference yesterday was upbeat and positive, and Arnold (whose father was a pretty unsuccessful coach of this same team many years ago) said all the right things about being part of the community, about honoring Bob Nash and Riley Wallace, and about recruiting.

I don't agree with his wanting to build a running team, but that's more of a philosophical difference. Coaches seem always to want to say that because it's more exciting hoops and fans respond to it. I just don't think it's a good approach for college ball.

Whatever one thinks of the Bob Nash years, they are over, and it's difficult not to catch some of the optimistic vibe that the press conference generated. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new Coach Arnold can do.
    Last edited by scrivener; March 21, 2010, 11:44 AM.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: UHM Men's Hoops Coach Gib Arnold

Don't know much about Gib Arnold, but for starters, I hope he's a good recruiter.

Comment

I just hope he truly does build his own identity and not try to follow what previous coaches have done. Nash tried running the same motion offense that Wallace did, but he wasn't so good at teaching.
      Twitter: LookMaICanWrite

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Lowery View Post
        I just hope he truly does build his own identity and not try to follow what previous coaches have done. Nash tried running the same motion offense that Wallace did, but he wasn't so good at teaching.
        Actually, Bob Nash was good at teaching the Xs-Os and imparting the fundamentals. The problem with the team (and it got steadily worse with each season that Nash was the HC) was that the players were lackadaiscial and often times out-hustled by the opponent. When Wallace was in charge, he wouldn't have allowed that to happen, and would instantly chew-out anyone who was loafing, whether in practice or in a game. Maybe it wasn't in Nash's nature to be the drill sgt./disciplinarian type. But if that was the case, then he needed to hire an assistant who could do the figurative butt-kicking and yelling for him. And unfortunately, Nash didn't do that.
        This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

I hope the son is a better head coach than the father like how Rex Ryan of the NY Jets is a better head coach than this dad Buddy Ryan.

Comment

Working...
          X