Cartwright or Moiliil Field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartwright or Moiliil Field?

Has the name of the oldest baseball field in Hawaii, Cartwright Field, been changed to Moiliili Field?
    The Bus calls it out as Moiliili Field.

Trivia question -
    When was the first baseball game played in Hawaii, who won, and the score?

No fair googling! Gotta be smarter than me!
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Cartwright or Moiliil Field?

Actually, Ron, if you're listening carefully, you'll also hear Brickwood Galuteria call out Varsity Theatre. I think the recordings need to be edited and/or updated.
    As for your question, I don't have an answer!
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

They havn't used Brick's voice for a couple of years now. But I thot it was better than what they use now, especially when it's at deafening levels!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
        They havn't used Brick's voice for a couple of years now. But I thot it was better than what they use now, especially when it's at deafening levels!
        I ride the bus every day. I definitely hear him. My point is the recordings are old.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Those are better than Termite Palace.

Comment

Actually, they are two separate fields -- Cartwright Field (corner of Keeaumoku & Kinau Streets ... a hidden gem) and Moiliili Field (corner of Isenberg and King Streets).

I used to play in a mountain ball league played at Cartwright Field. The way the field was laid out, it was perfect for me. I could throw a mountain ball curve ball, if the wind was right. Loved that field!

As to where the first baseball game was played in Hawaii, I have no idea.

Comment

I am also not sure Cartwright Field is the oldest baseball field in Hawaii. Where did you hear that?
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

It's over 100 years old and I've heard that it was THE oldest, so if it ain't, then which field in opperation is?

Honorur, you're correct, so that answers that. Thanx. I had wrong info from way back.
                To close this out, the trivia answer - 1866, Natives 2 - Haoles 1
                Que the fat lady...
                Last edited by Ron Whitfield; July 24, 2008, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Used to live a block from Cartwright Field, unfortunately they had a fatal stabbing near the park last week.

Makes sense that Moiliili Field is in Moiliili and that park dates back to the old Honolulu Stadium days.

Aj

Comment

According to this entry at the Hawaiian Historical Society, Cartwright Field is the site of the first baseball diamond in Hawaii, so you might be right. However, the article doesn't cite any references and I haven't been able to locate anything to corroborate, even after about an hour in my local library.

I have a keen interest in this subject, and I make an annual visit to Cartwright's grave, so it would be great if I could find something authoritative to back this up.
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
                      It's over 100 years old and I've heard that it was THE oldest, so if it ain't, then which field in opperation is?

Honorur, you're correct, so that answers that. Thanx. I had wrong info from way back.
                      To close this out, the trivia answer - 1866, Natives 2 - Haoles 1
                      Que the fat lady...
                      I think the Natives won that game on a bottom of the nineth "walkoff balk" by Capt. Cook.

Comment

Cartwright Field may be the oldest baseball/softball field in Honolulu. I don't really know. But if you've ever gone there, it does seem that the rest of the city was built around it.

It's in an odd location, next to, and almost under, the H-1 overpass. With H-1 at its back, and across the street, beyond right and center field, a seedy row of stores and apartment complexes, bordered and protected by dark, heavy trees, this park almost seems an oasis.

Comment

Showing my age but the road by the basketball courts was the entry to the original H1 freeway which at that time was called the "mauka arterial"
                          The Keeaumaku St. overpass was non existent.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy View Post
                            Used to live a block from Cartwright Field, unfortunately they had a fatal stabbing near the park last week.

Aj
                            Any ghost sightings at night in that area?

Comment

Ghosts? Huh? Scary! I live right across the street...all I see are 10 million micronesians & their children, and occasional baseball/softball games.
                              Bitter & Sweet....all in one bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X