Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In 1994 I was enjoying the life in Mexico....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In 1994 I was enjoying the life in Mexico....

...until one day in Sept. I had just finshed working on a cheesey TV Show called "Alcapulco Heat", and decided I'd stay in Mexico for at least four months. I had several job offers on the table, and a beautiful girlfriend at the time there. So what was my hurry to get back to Hawaii and join the 'rat race' once again?
    Everything was simple there at the time. I had a nice condo right up from La Playa Los Muertos. Then in a split second my world was turned upside down. One day I return to the condo to find a strange women sitting there with my girlfriend. Girlfriend tells me she meets her on the beach. She gives my girlfriend a sob story about how her boyfriend up and left her in the town of Tepic. So my girlfriend offers her our couch until she can get her life together. 48 hrs later I awake one morning to find a naked dead body on my couch!!! 48 hrs after that the Mexican Federales have me in custody, they think I have killed her! But before I'm arrested I get plenty of phone calls from Las Vegas media. They all want my story. Seems this girl stole a Loomis Truck out of Vegas! Her name was Misty LeAnn Smith, and I never was able to find out actually what happened because Federales shipped me to Mexico City Immigration waiting until Interpol picked me up. An autopsy in Mexico proved I did nothing to her. But what I'm trying to do is find out what happened after I left Mexico. Did they catch her boyfriend who ripped her off for Loomis truck mney or what? Do any of you have an idea how I can obtain this info?

Re: In 1994 I was enjoying the life in Mexico....

I guess there must've been several Loomis bank truck heists during that period, because the most famous one involved a woman by the name of Maria C. Tallchief, who helped rob Loomis of more than $2 million. She was a driver for Loomis who one day just drove off in the truck outside of Circus Circus. She turned herself in two years ago (on TV) after 12 years on the run (in Amsterdam).

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; May 1, 2007, 11:31 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Wow! Whatta story, Beachboy. Upside down is an understatement! I can understand your curiosity. BTW...what happened to your girlfriend in that situation? Was she also arrested? Since the autopsy proved you didn't kill "Misty", did you ever find out why/how she died or even have a suspicion why? Man, you were one lucky guy that you didn't end up in a Mexican prison for a long time, in spite of the autopsy results.

Have you checked the archives of Las Vegas newspapers? I doubt the online archives go back that far but, possibly, someone in Vegas can help you. Interesting story...keep us updated, 'k?!

Comment

The only big armored car robbery in Las Vegas in the 1990s prior 1994 was the Loomis armored car one in which Heather Tallchief (I called her Maria above) helped her boyfriend, Roberto Solis, steal over $2 million.

The connection between that Misty woman and this particular bank robbery could be that she might have been a former girlfriend of Roberto Solis, who is still a fugitive from the law, even though Heather turned herself in.

Two of the locations that Solis was known to have frequented were Mexico and Las Vegas.

Miulang
        Last edited by Miulang; May 1, 2007, 03:58 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          The only big armored car robbery in Las Vegas in the 1990s prior 1994 was the Loomis armored car one in which Heather Tallchief (I called her Maria above) helped her boyfriend, Roberto Solis, steal over $2 million.

The connection between that Misty woman and this particular bank robbery could be that she might have been a former girlfriend of Roberto Solis, who is still a fugitive from the law, even though Heather turned herself in.

Two of the locations that Solis was known to have frequented were Mexico and Las Vegas.

Miulang
          sorry Miulang, but you are wrong on several accounts here. In 1994 alone there were 3 Armoured Car heist in Las Vegas! Misty died in my Puerto Vallharta Condo, her boyfriend was caught going into Costa Rica about one year later with about 85% of the stolen money, and he wasn't Solis either!

My memory is pretty good considering my age and how many years ago this happened. Why, because the corrupt Mexican authorities thought I killed her and had the money stashed somewhere. The autopsy proved that she died of natural causes. She died of dyhidration because of the terrible cause of 'Montuzuma's Revenge'. Then if there was any doubts still, her boyfriend getting arrested in Costa Rica 100% proved my innocents.

Yes, my girlfriend at the time was arrested too. Being thrown in Mexico's immigration lockup in Mexico City was a real nightmare too. I immeadiately had to establish myself in the lockup there as the 'Alfa Male'. First thing on my agenda was wrestle away a pair of pants from someone in lockup. I had a pair of long pants within the first ten minutes there! Immigration in Mexico City was freezing at night. When the Federales arrested me in my condo it was 9P.M. at night. Puerto Vallharta is kinda like Hawaii is weather wise, but Mexico City was super cold! When I was arrested I was only wearing a pair of board shorts & tank top.
          In some repect it all seems like yesterday. Boy I had the Las Vegas media calling me off the hook. How they found out about me is something I have never been able to figure out?!

Comment

You asked earlier:

Originally posted by Beachboy View Post
            But what I'm trying to do is find out what happened after I left Mexico. Did they catch her boyfriend who ripped her off for Loomis truck mney or what? Do any of you have an idea how I can obtain this info?
            Now you answered your own question.

Misty died in my Puerto Vallharta Condo, her boyfriend was caught going into Costa Rica about one year later with about 85% of the stolen money, and he wasn't Solis either!

My memory is pretty good considering my age and how many years ago this happened. Why, because the corrupt Mexican authorities thought I killed her and had the money stashed somewhere. The autopsy proved that she died of natural causes. She died of dyhidration because of the terrible cause of 'Montuzuma's Revenge'. Then if there was any doubts still, her boyfriend getting arrested in Costa Rica 100% proved my innocents.
            This is traumatic for anyone to go through.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wow! I've not heard of death due to Montezuma's Revenge. Of course it can happen if one doesn't state hydrated. "Misty" must've been afraid to seek medical help. My former BF, a musician, was touring in Mexico and was hypervigilant about what he ingested while there. Band members were falling victim to MR but not him! His last day there he ordered orange juice and ended up with a drink similar to Tang...made with tap water. By the time he unlocked the front door to his home in SoCal after breakfast and a flight home...he made a B-line for the bathroom. He was sick for several weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                You asked earlier:

Now you answered your own question.

I was able to find a small piece of info on the internet confirming his arrest....that is how I was able to answer my own question.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
                  Wow! I've not heard of death due to Montezuma's Revenge. Of course it can happen if one doesn't state hydrated. "Misty" must've been afraid to seek medical help. My former BF, a musician, was touring in Mexico and was hypervigilant about what he ingested while there. Band members were falling victim to MR but not him! His last day there he ordered orange juice and ended up with a drink similar to Tang...made with tap water. By the time he unlocked the front door to his home in SoCal after breakfast and a flight home...he made a B-line for the bathroom. He was sick for several weeks.
                  I never suffered from 'Montazuma's Revenge',while living in Mexico, I have a pretty strong gut already from my third world travels in the past.

But I did get a terrible case of 'Dengue Fever' while there. For an entire week the only time I left my bed was to use the bathroom. Every joint in my body ached beyond belief. Plus a fever was there too the entire time.
                  Oh, did I mention projectile vommiting? Yeah well, I had that too with the Dengue.

Comment

Well, at least you solved your own mystery!

Miulang

Comment

It sounds like a mystery novel.
                      Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                      Sharing withother survivors...
                      www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by blueyecicle View Post
                        It sounds like a mystery novel.
                        That's right!

Beachboy, Start Blogging!! You've got so much to write about. An interesting Life with so much to share. Mystery, suspense, pain and romance!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

okay, this is what I was able to find. It's not much but it proves that it wasn't Solis with Misty Smith. It comes from the "Las Vegas Review-journal"

'In August 1994, 23-year-old Brinks armored truck driver Misty Leann Smith sped off with a truck containing $ 1.84 million. She was found dead under mysterious circumstances in Mexico and her boyfriend, Anthony Frisco, 29, was later arrested trying to sneak into Costa Rica with a satchel of cash. In 1996 Frisco was sentenced to five years in prison. And in January of the same year, a Loomis transport truck was robbed of $ 3 million after the vehicle was hijacked while parked at a side door at the MGM Grand. No arrests have been made. Las Vegas bank robbieries 1990 51 1991 101 1992 120 1993 127 1994 85 1995 124 1996 141 1997 87 1998 92* *As of Dec. 22 Source: Federal Bureau of Investigation Mike Johnson/Review-JournalCopyright (c) 1998 Las Vegas Review-Journal'
                          Record Number: HEIST2310292265

Comment

[...]'In August 1994, 23-year-old Brinks armored truck driver Misty Leann Smith sped off with a truck containing $ 1.84 million. She was found dead under mysterious circumstances in Mexico[...]
                            Wow! Montezuma's Revenge is not, normally, a death sentence. Karma can be.

What's amazing to me, BB, is that she gave her real name to you and your then girlfriend.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
                              That's right!

Beachboy, Start Blogging!! You've got so much to write about. An interesting Life with so much to share. Mystery, suspense, pain and romance!

Auntie Lynn
                              ahhh all the stuff necessary for a good novel, or as you say blog. But unfortunately 1stwahine, my grammar is pretty piss poor. When it was time to learn good english I was off surfing somewhere. But mind you, you aren't the first one to tell me this either. I even had Hollywood come a knocking before wanting me to put together some material. But my biggest problem with all that is I never kept a journal. So my timelines are a bit messed up. But adventures I've had! I was almost executed in Thailand in the mid 80's. Locked up in Vientienne, Laos around the same time too. Was caught in Burma in the wrong place(six months prison). I also have many wild stories from India too. Personally, for me in the late 60's I met and actually had a friend(Paul Watkins) who lived at the Spahn Ranch in the San Fernando Valley. Paul introduced me to a guy named "Charlie", who later turned out to be Charles Manson!!!

Also during my wild days I found myself vacationing at a few different 'Club Feds. Along the way I met such people as Michael Milken, Charles Keating, and Geno Gotti to name just a few. So yeah my 54 yrs on this planet have been filled with many adventures to say the least.
                              But my single greatest adventure has been trying to be a great father & husband to my family. Who I might ad changed me around completely, in a very positive way. Nothing like having a good family by your side, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X