Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any Martial Artists in da house?

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
    Been practicing for 5 years. Love it. Keeps me centered mentally, and physically, as is the point.
    I need to return to it; I practiced for over ten years, but stopped when I started hula. Got a couple friends to start as well, and now one of them teaches classes for my teacher.

Comment

Originally posted by TATTRAT View Post
      Been practicing for 5 years. Love it. Keeps me centered mentally, and physically, as is the point.
      Ever since I started Kendo, I've felt more focused mentally than I've ever been before. Plus there's physical benefits. Gotta love the martial arts when you find proper instruction.

Comment

Nah, Sinjin, no offense taken. None meant, either.
        Well I am just a monkey man, I'm glad you are a monkey woman too.

Comment

I'd love to take up some kind of martial art as I could definatly use some serious balance in my life at the moment. Any recommendations for something relatively close to the Waikiki area, classes at night or on the weekends.

When I was about 12 or so I took judo for a short period and remember my instructor taking us through some rolling/tumbling exercises. He'd follow rather quickly behind us with a bamboo stick hitting the mat as we made our way across it. One mess up or slow down ans "WHAP", ouch, lol. We still had it made though cause I remember the karate class next door practiced with no mats at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
            hmmmn...oO(wonder when this thread is going to disintergrate into a "you know you are trained in a McDojo when...")
            In Ireland they train exclusively in McDojos. Seriously, R. Gracie and BJJ made many dojos look like they were represented by clowns.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

My wife was interested in Tai Chi, any recommendations?
              Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                I'd love to take up some kind of martial art as I could definatly use some serious balance in my life at the moment. Any recommendations for something relatively close to the Waikiki area, classes at night or on the weekends.
                http://www.hawaiikendo.com/

If I were moving back to Hawaii, my first choice dojo would be Kenshikan.

Comment

Originally posted by LocoBoy View Post
                  When I was about 12 or so I took judo for a short period and remember my instructor taking us through some rolling/tumbling exercises. He'd follow rather quickly behind us with a bamboo stick hitting the mat as we made our way across it. One mess up or slow down ans "WHAP", ouch, lol. We still had it made though cause I remember the karate class next door practiced with no mats at all.
                  heheh Judo. One of my best childhood memories involved Judo. I was six when my dad signed me. Back when he was younger he attained brown belt. I think he wanted it a family tradition. Anyway, one day I ended up paired with this girl. I couldn't trip her because she locked her arms. Next thing I know--fwoop!--I was on my back. I think that set a theme in my life. >_>

I stayed in for a while but Judo didn't interest me.

Years later I started practicing Shorinji Ryu Karate. Good times and was in it for about nine years. Then I made the decision to go to evening classes to get out of college faster and well... now I've got the physique for Sumo.

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
                    In Ireland they train exclusively in McDojos. Seriously, R. Gracie and BJJ made many dojos look like they were represented by clowns.
                    only Ireland has McDojos? I know you must have seen this before, but it never fails to crack me up.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o View Post
                      What the heck was that? *laughs*

Did you see how someone in the comment area spelt Kamehameha? I'm sure that comment was all about Dragonball Z. Speaking of which, what do HTers think of the use of Kamehameha on Dragonball Z?
                      I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Did some martial arts during small keiki times. I wish I kept up with it. As a youngster, I loved going to see all of the Bruce Lee movies. It motivated me to learn Kung Fu. I took Shaolin Kung Fu. My si fu taught John Carradine. I remember sparring with an older kid who barely started. My instructor gave us protective gloves and foot pads, but it was still full contact. After a few kicks and punches, the kid ran out of the studio and never returned. I felt really bad

Comment

Originally posted by Jake's Ohana View Post
                          After a few kicks and punches, the kid ran out of the studio and never returned. I felt really bad
                          "The kid" would probably do much better in a TKD McDojang. There's something for everyone. If he didn't get hurt, I wouldn't feel too bad

Comment

Aikido...and it was a discipline, a state of mind, not a form of fighting. That would be unfair for one's adversary.

Let one's one energy be their demise, you just help them along. That's what I loved about Aikido, use their strengths against them. YOSH! and out da door
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                            X