Too Sad News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Too Sad News

Permanent installations (with lighting, even!) like Craig mentions are not as common, I reckon, but it's not a practice that started in Hawaii, nor -- depending on how far back you go -- the U.S. Within the U.S., though, they're most commonly linked to the southwest and to Hispanic communities.

Here's a Wikipedia entry on the roadside memorial, and a couple of sites devoted to descansos: Dave Nance's photography project, and descansos.org. There's even a movie in the works. There has been debate in the U.K. specifically about how they can be traffic hazards. Some states ban them. California actually charges a fee to set one up.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
      i was kinda thinking something similar too. i wondered out loud to my wife at age do you actually start acting intelligently? i figured around 25 is when I stopped doing stupid stuff. but then again when im 45 i might look back and think 'what was i thinking' and so on. why not drop the legal drinking age to 18 and raise driving to 25, or something like that? it would push the public transportation and decrease pollution. too bad it would never happen.
      The first "accident" (the subject of this thread) is what started all this. That crash had nothing to do with the legal driving age. It involved a possible stolen car, unsupervised 15-year-olds at 4:30 a.m., drugs (if you don't think alcohol is a drug, I've got news for you), no driver's license, and extremely poor judgment on the part of the driver *and* passengers. Sometimes poor judgment results in death or injury. There is just no getting around that.

There is something terribly wrong here, and the legal age of any behavior has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
        The first "accident" (the subject of this thread) is what started all this. That crash had nothing to do with the legal driving age. It involved a possible stolen car, unsupervised 15-year-olds at 4:30 a.m., drugs (if you don't think alcohol is a drug, I've got news for you), no driver's license, and extremely poor judgment on the part of the driver *and* passengers. Sometimes poor judgment results in death or injury. There is just no getting around that.

There is something terribly wrong here, and the legal age of any behavior has nothing to do with it.
        Yep and I'll bet those kids were, "Really good kids who never get into trouble" kinda kids. I gotta keep reminding myself that my kids are saints if good kids take a car without permission, drive it with no license while being illegally intoxicated during a time when saints are sleeping. Can you imagine the really bad kids

And Maddie...now I can't get that video of ABBA with their shiny silver catsuits prancing to Dancing Queen! BTW did you get enough sleep?
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza

Looks like the only one who really lost-out in this deal is the guy whose car was stolen! A lot of "humbug" in filing the report with the police and his insurance company.

The deaths are tragic, but those kids brought it on themselves with their own actions. Sorry, but my sympathy is lessened quite a bit.

And, what were they doing out unsupervised at 4:30 a.m.? Remember that public service message:

IT'S 4:30 A.M. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE?

I know where mine are. They're not out joy-riding in stolen cars!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific

And, what were they doing out unsupervised at 4:30 a.m.? Remember that public service message:

IT'S 4:30 A.M. DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR CHILDREN ARE?

I know where mine are. They're not out joy-riding in stolen cars!
            Or drinking with their friends. Okay my 22-year old did offer me a beer when he visited me last weekend.
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X