Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: aloha shirts=tourist racket

Das a good one!

Hmmm.... used to be a magazine/newspaper writer/photographer on Guam... sideline gig was wedding photography. Had a friend get married on the beach--next to the Okura Hotel on Tumon Bay. He was wearing a barong-style (Filipino-style island shirt)--she was wearing a white lacey island-style dress... double-ring ceremony in that the rings exchanged were plumeria/hibiscus leis. They were married in the shade of a breadfruit tree--on a beautifully groomed beach...the reef flat was still and not yet stirred up by the day's winds (the wedding was at about 10am)... the reef was a bright turquoise --in contrast to the deep blue of the outer reef and the sky... after the ceremony, we had a traditional Guamanian/Chamoru fiesta-style wedding--roast pig (lechon), lumpia, pancit, sushi, sashimi, tataga, sesjun, red rice, finedene, and the rest of the fixin's... truly a neat wedding! (except the hotel staff there all wear Barong Shirts as part of their *uniform*...)

My wedding? Long Beach CA... in a church reception hall (no liquor, no dancing... aargh!)... honeymoon? In a Motel 6 in Yuma AZ on the way back to New Mexico... had to go to work the Monday after our Friday wedding. Aaargh! (And because I was wearing the same suit as the pastor <the marry-'em and bury-'em suit>--folks were getting us mixed up all night at the wedding reception as well... <sigh>)

SO... this recent trip to the islands was sort of a *make-up* for our honeymoon...

Kinda...

Not quite the same thing tho...

Mo later, though...

Island Dave (aka fanihiman)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them!?"
      And I thought the only place I'd ever read that phrase was on bumper stickers attached to automobiles belonging to residents of Newport, RI. Very commonly seen...and somewhat paradoxically to me...as Newport, being host to hundreds of thousands of tourists on an annual basis, is so dependent on the revenue they bring.

Comment

I had a shirt that was a print of surfboards side by side all around the shirt. I liked it, but every time I wore it to Waikiki or Chinatown it seemed to be a magnet for panhandlers. I sent it to my brother in Chicago and told him to wear it and see what happened. Says he gets compliments on it and no panhandlers yet.
        You can apply any terms to any situation to suit your perspective.

Comment

Hey where do you guys buy your aloha shirts?

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
            Hey where do you guys buy your aloha shirts?
            I prefer the look of the old "silkies" so keep an eye out at thrift stores. If I'm in Kapahulu I'll stop at Bailey's and drool over the shirts hanging from the ceiling...out of reach...for a reason!

Comment

Not for nothing but if you rummage through some of the shirts at the swap meet at the stadium, there's some not tacky ones. I wear mine all the time here at work and thanks to me wearing one every friday during the summer, my co-workers have dug theirs out of the closets. It's tough for me to buy cause I'm a cheap SOB lol and yet I don't want to buy something tacky. My motto when looking for an aloha shirt: If It doesn't look like a uniform, it's worth looking at the price tag.
              -kp!

Comment

Working...
              X