X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Usenet newsgroups

From this thread:

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye
    I do know some of the regulars seem familiar from when I was active on another Hawaii forum. That's how I remember Helen. She was the only one shooting rockets. Is that forum still active. I forget da name. When I was there, there was a couple of guys always getting into arguments. "Where's the proof!" "I have proof." "Then prove it!" On and on. Was getting kind of monotonous and I just kinda faded away. Sorry OT.
    You seem to be describing the usenet newsgroup alt.culture.hawaii which still exist.

Re: Usenet newsgroups

How do you access that newsgroup? I remember years ago belonging to a couple when I lived in Texas...I think one was soc.culture.hawaii or something like that. I remember Iz was a member and regular contributor to one of those groups.

Comment

The other group is soc.culture.hawaii which is moderated while alt.culture.hawaii is not. As far as accessing newsgroup it depends, some people use the google web site (I know you can read it but no idea on how to post), other use software that allows you to access the newgroup directly, and others like myself use a ssh (or telnet) client to access your ISP and then use pine to access the newsgroups.

Comment

[...]When I was there, there was a couple of guys always getting into arguments. "Where's the proof!" "I have proof." "Then prove it!" On and on. Was getting kind of monotonous and I just kinda faded away. Sorry OT.
        [...]...I think one was soc.culture.hawaii or something like that. I remember Iz was a member and regular contributor to one of those groups.
        Ooooooh...long ago memories!!! <wave to Lurkah!> Maybe HT should have a coming out party for all of the former Hawaii newsgroup posters...whoever you are! At Gordon Biersch, perhaps?

IIRC, Iz participated in alt.music.hawaiian...even gave props to the 'cyber ohana' on one of his CDs. And, the argument? Nah, there was no argument. That was a full blown war! Those guys chased each other all over the internet...and the island! It was a cyber soap opera of epic proportions!

Comment

"At Gordon Biersch, perhaps"

tutu, what chat group was that and what did they name themselves again?

Comment

It wasn't a chat group. It was the alt.culture.hawaii Lynch Mob.

Comment

it was a group. we chatted. online, so no actual chat was actually heard of course, but it was chatty.
              it was a chat group

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Ooooooh...long ago memories!!! <wave to Lurkah!> Maybe HT should have a coming out party for all of the former Hawaii newsgroup posters...whoever you are! At Gordon Biersch, perhaps?
                The last time I was at Gordon Biersch, I shared a table with J. Barrett, M. J. Wise and the late Gino Lancette while listening to BB Shawn (Shawn Ishimoto) at his first "No Boundaries" CD release party, and that was many years ago.
                IIRC, Iz participated in alt.music.hawaiian...even gave props to the 'cyber ohana' on one of his CDs.
                TutuSue, remember this from IZ's very first online attempts at writing haiku?
                Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 19:03:11 -1000

......oK hErE I gO wItH mY hAiKu..............

*nEva wRoTe a hAiKu bEfOr
                nEVA tO lAtE fOr lEaRn
                mIgHt bE oNe tEaChA SoMeDaY

IZ
                And what an awesome teacha IZ still IS today!! Woof woof!!
                And, the argument? Nah, there was no argument. That was a full blown war! Those guys chased each other all over the internet...and the island! It was a cyber soap opera of epic proportions!
                The Hui Lupo wolfpack. Kimo, is that the group you had in mind? IZ also had his own chatroom called IzChat that was, and is still semi-active btw, sponsored by Rabbett's hotspotshawaii.com website.

Comment

"Woof! Woof!" The Pueo days...which were also the Nay-ten days! IIRC, the haiku requirement was the initiation into an email group. I remember Iz participating for awhile then a certain member caused major havoc and was banned. Eventually Hui Lupo was 'organized'! By then Iz had had enough. Too bad. He was such a wonderful addition. He used to tell me..."The wes' side is the bes' side."...in reference to where I live!

I had to work so missed Shawn's release party but did end up with the CD, which Nancy gave me at the party where I met you!

Comment

Working...
                  X