Mauna Kea snow made headlines today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mauna Kea snow made headlines today

The Early Today Show with Kristine Johnson (very early AM on NBC) had a small segment on a one foot snowfall on Mauna Kea which evidently fell in the last couple of days up on the summit. (No mention was made of when the snow actually fell.)

The clip showed a scene that looked more like Vail than Hawai'i..snowboarders in action, snowballs being thrown, and adults returning to their childhoods by being kids in the snow.

Of note: Kristine botched the pronounciation of Mauna Kea and the segment itself failed to mention that snowfall up on Mauna Kea is not that uncommon of an event. Kristine did mention that skiers had to improvise their way to the summit while skiing, as (we all know) there are no lifts and most were using 4-wheelers to ascend to the start of the "skiable" lengths of snow.

It was a nice little segment that I'm certain was of interest to those unfamiliar with the snowfalls which can occur in Hawai'i.

Re: Mauna Kea snow made headlines today

Here ya go. Associated Press did a little story about it and KITV got some video footage. We cribbed a screen shot from their video (with permission).

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/31/news/story02.html
    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
      The Early Today Show with Kristine Johnson (very early AM on NBC) had a small segment on a one foot snowfall on Mauna Kea which evidently fell in the last couple of days up on the summit. (No mention was made of when the snow actually fell.)

The clip showed a scene that looked more like Vail than Hawai'i..snowboarders in action, snowballs being thrown, and adults returning to their childhoods by being kids in the snow.

Of note: Kristine botched the pronounciation of Mauna Kea and the segment itself failed to mention that snowfall up on Mauna Kea is not that uncommon of an event. Kristine did mention that skiers had to improvise their way to the summit while skiing, as (we all know) there are no lifts and most were using 4-wheelers to ascend to the start of the "skiable" lengths of snow.

It was a nice little segment that I'm certain was of interest to those unfamiliar with the snowfalls which can occur in Hawai'i.
      Kristine can be forgiven(major news babe! ). It looked beautiful from what I could see yesterday morning , but the clouds took that away fast.
      Last edited by alohabear; January 31, 2006, 04:50 AM.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
        Here ya go. Associated Press did a little story about it and KITV got some video footage. We cribbed a screen shot from their video
        dass cool.
        hey.
        gotta question;
        Who.... is the named "Carl" in the pic...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/31/news/story04.html

the wavy one on da right?

Comment

Driving down the Pahoa Highway yesterday you get this magnificant view of Mauna Kea's white top. Made for a lot of swerving for some on the roadways but the view was worth it. Clear skies helped too.

One good thing is the temperature drops a bit even in Keaau so the snow was a welcomed relief.
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Hey, they just did a quick story on the Mauna Kea snow here on our local news too. There is more snow there than there is here (New England), our ski areas have been hurting this year. Just icy here. Could have filmed "March of the Penguins" in my backyard. BRRrrrrrrrrrrrr

People in the news clips looked like they were having fun on their snowboards.
            Honumel

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              dass cool.
              hey.
              gotta question;
              Who.... is the named "Carl" in the pic...

http://starbulletin.com/2006/01/31/news/story04.html

the wavy one on da right?
              Doh! Baaaad webmaster. I go fix now. I don't know how I mixed those up!

Blaine
              Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

It appears Hawaii got some decent national tv coverage over the past 24 hours. Did anyone see Lost's Dominic Monaghan on Jay Leno last night? DM brought a bag of poi to share and, needless to say, that part of his segment wasn't all that favorable about taste and texture of poi but it was funny. Monaghan (so weird to throw a 'g' in there as my maiden name is Monahan!) gave Hawaii a thumb's up and talked a bit about the 'slang'. He loves 'uncle' and 'da kine'!!! Jay wasn't getting it at all!

But, back on topic, we've had a decent amount of local news coverage about the snow on the Big Island. Looks like fun! Cold, but fun!

Comment

Attention All Parents:

If your child is less than 10-12 years old, you should not take them to the top of Mauna Kea. The reason is known as cerebral edema. It's a swelling of the brain which happens to all of us at high altitude. But when this happens in children, it's especially dangerous cuz their skulls are still growing. The brain is somewhat "cramped" in a childs skull. Edema can cause death in children.

Just a note. Better safe than sorry.
                  FutureNewsNetwork.com
                  Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Ho yeah lunchtime in Keaau and the temperature was a cool 78-degrees. Boy you can feel that cold Mauna Kea air rushing into Puna. Das nice
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X