credit card recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• credit card recommendation?

it's not a really big deal but i got charged a late fee of something like $60 for a bill that i know i mailed and it burns me up to think that i can't prove that they got it. i don't know. maybe someone stole it. anyway, i'm upset that they're sticking it to me. i just wrote a letter to them and basically said that i'll continue with them if they cancel that late fee; otherwise, i'll just switch to some other card. (i told them that i always paid in full on time, no loans, etc.)

maybe there isn't much difference between the various businesses that try to get you to sign up but i thought i'd ask. basic requirement is that it be a visa card and no annual fee. i always pay the full amount on time and don't care at all for cash advance, etc.

the card i'm thinking of canceling is an Amazon/Visa card and i just got it cuz there was an initial credit of $30 if a person signed up and i often buy stuff from amazon. i don't fly often these days so i don't think the united, jal, northwest, etc cards have any incentives for me.

anyway, just thought i'd ask. maybe you guys have a card that you think is really good and offers some perks.

thanks!
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: credit card recommendation?

Originally posted by shaveice
    it's not a really big deal but i got charged a late fee of something like $60 for a bill that i know i mailed and it burns me up to think that i can't prove that they got it. i don't know. maybe someone stole it. anyway, i'm upset that they're sticking it to me.
    I read in a newsgroup awhile back that this is not an uncommon practice. I've had it happen to me. As you said, it's basically your word against theirs. There's also the chance that your payment was delayed by the post office. But, you'll probably never know. My guess is it's the former and not the latter.
    Originally posted by shaveice
    [...]
    maybe there isn't much difference between the various businesses that try to get you to sign up but i thought i'd ask. basic requirement is that it be a visa card and no annual fee. [...] anyway, just thought i'd ask. maybe you guys have a card that you think is really good and offers some perks.
    A couple of things come to mind. One, you might want to set up online payments with email confirmations of receipt. I've done this with Discover Card and love it. I can even set my account up with a certain expenditure limit and once it hits that they send me an alert email. That gives me the opportunity to check it out immediately to make sure the charges are, in fact, mine. When my expenditures don't fit my normal spending pattern (I've had to replace several electronics lately) I receive a phone call from a real person cautioning me immediately that said person is not a telemarketer and all s/he wants to do is verify some unusual activity on my account.

I, too, pay my bill in full each month. All of a sudden I started noticing financing charges. Turns out I'd made a typo when paying online; a small one that shorted the full payment by slightly over $3. I was charged the full finance charge based on the full amount. I called to explain the situation and the charge was immediately and pleasantly reversed.

So, yes...I like Discover Card with it's cash back rewards but that doesn't help your desire for a Visa card!

Comment

I had a payment delayed by the Post Office once, which led to a $35 "late fee" being tacked onto a charge account. I called the card issuer's customer service department, told them that I felt the charge should not be there, as I had mailed the payment in plenty of time.
      Since I did not have a history of being late, they accepted my explanation, and removed the charge without argument. Sometimes, if you ask, even these huge, faceless corporations will fulfill your requests, in order to keep you as a customer.
      (FWIW, though - I have long ago paid that card in full and cancelled it, as I have been focused the last few years on getting all my credit debt down to zero again, after a high of about $50K; almost there...almost there...)

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue
        A couple of things come to mind. One, you might want to set up online payments with email confirmations of receipt. I've done this with Discover Card and love it.
        I too have switched all my credit card payments online (as well as my utilities, cell phone, etc.). My grandparents were the victims of identity theft when someone stole their mail, and the police advised them to pay everything online.

I have the Citibank Dividend Platinum Select card (it's a Mastercard). There's no annual fee and I get 5% cash back on all purchases at grocery stores, gas stations, and drugstores. I pay the balance in full each month. Their online interface is really useful, and you can request the rewards checks through their site. I know AmEx offers a similar rewards program, but I believe you have to reach a certain purchase threshold ($3k in purchases) before you are bumped up to 5% cash back. Besides, I'd rather have Mastercard than AmEx anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiabla
          I too have switched all my credit card payments online (as well as my utilities, cell phone, etc.). My grandparents were the victims of identity theft when someone stole their mail, and the police advised them to pay everything online.
          I had my credit-card number stolen once when I used it online, so nothing is safe. I caught it because I check my accounts online regularly. I still make online purchases anyway - whaddya gonna do? That's today's world.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio
            I had my credit-card number stolen once when I used it online, so nothing is safe. I caught it because I check my accounts online regularly. I still make online purchases anyway - whaddya gonna do? That's today's world.
            Using a credit card is no longer a secure way to make a transaction, online or otherwise. Whether you hand your card to a cashier at a store or type it online it's still based on trust as someone always has access to the account #. I've heard of the one use card (that's not the correct name but the card # is good for only one transaction) but don't know anything about it. Maybe I'll check Discover Card online and see if they offer it.

Wow, LL. Good thing you're diligent about checking your accounts. Think I'll hele on over to Discover Card right now 'cuz I just got an email notice that my account has hit the threshhold that I assigned it ($500.; not my credit limit!). I've made a couple of electronics purchases so am not too concerned but, still, with what happened to you one can't be too careful.

I just checked the DC site and they have something called Secure Online Account Numbers: http://www2.discovercard.com/deskshop
            I'm definitely going to look into this.

Comment

thanks for all the good advice. i'm not close to making a decision but i like the ideas you've given me.

last night while doing some searches, i came across this page.

i don't think this list is complete (i can't understand why not) cuz i've got an REI Visa card and it's not listed there. anyway, that list of cards are "reward" cards where you get something back.

off hand, i'm leaning towards the gymboree card since i/my wife purchases a bunch of stuff for our daughter. nice to have some perks....
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I have used this website in the past to evaluate cards.

Hope this helps.

Comment

If you are worried about payments being late then you may want to get a credit card from a bank that is located in your city. Then just pay at one of the bank branches. There's no question of late payments due to the mail.

I do tend to pay more than the balance. Its like putting in money that I will spend later.

Comment

thanks for the link, pretender. cool site!

and thanks i-hungry for the suggestion. you guys definitely make hawaiithreads a great forum.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
                      If you are worried about payments being late then you may want to get a credit card from a bank that is located in your city. Then just pay at one of the bank branches. There's no question of late payments due to the mail.
                      Payment in person will certainly work well. What I do to avoid late charges for card payments is I utilize my credit union's free bill payment service. For most cards, the payment is made through electronic funds transfer, which is pretty fast (usually within 2 business days) and at least in my experience, reliable. Definitely better than payment by mail.

Many cards also allow for payment by phone or automatic payments, but I always liked the convenience and control of a bill payment service.
                      Last edited by Pretender; November 18, 2005, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Those are good suggestions Pretender. I need to get my act together on automatic and phone bill payment. I still mail everything.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry
                          Those are good suggestions Pretender. I need to get my act together on automatic and phone bill payment. I still mail everything.
                          FWIW, most of my ongoing, monthly bills...mortgage, insurance, maintenance fee, utilities, credit card...are paid via electronic funds transfers set up directly with each company. I pay the companies that don't offer that service via my bank's bill payment service. My guess is the post office is making up for lost stamp revenue thru the sellers on eBay!

Comment

Working...
                          X