Boy Scout "perversion files" in Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scout "perversion files" in Hawaii

News reports indicate that thousands of pages of long-secret "perversion files" kept by the Boy Scouts of America were made public. There is a link that can be sorted by name, location, etc. Here is the link sorted by state.

The now public records list Hawaii's problem scout leaders and associates:
    • Dunham, Edward P.
    • Green, William L.
    • Kamp, Michael William
    • Kubic, Jerome W.
    • Strain, Gary L
    • Wilson, Dale Edmund
    • Zottoli, Joseph

Their troop locations were:
    • Wheeler AFB
    • Palolo School
    • Schofield Barracks
    • Barber’s Point
    • Mililani
    • Honolulu
    • Honolulu

If you were a scout, a leader, or parent, you can check out the link to read details on the years of interest to you. Perhaps there is something that needs to be followed up on in your life or family member's, and now there is a way to know research the problem.

Side topic:
    Being on top of the story [inserting sarcasm here], the StarBulletin article states: "While those three were the only named individuals involved with Hawaii Scouts in the Times documents, the newspaper’s database referred to more than a dozen other Hawaii cases but had no details for those.The Star-Advertiser could not immediately reach the three for comment."

Meanwhile, I found a mainland online paper that gives the link, and the link has full details.

I wonder how long until the SB catches up?
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Re: Boy Scout "perversion files" in Hawaii

The L.A. Times had a good write-up on the issue, and it has its own database of the reports, which includes digital scans (and spotty OCR text captures) of the hand-written reports.

The Wilson case (1971) is pretty clearly not a report of questionable behavior while a Scout leader, but a report of sexual misconduct (several indecent exposure arrests, among other offenses) in his past, on the mainland. Sounds like Aloha Council severed relationships with this person before anyone reported him for anything, but I wonder what led to Aloha Council getting a copy of the FBI report.

The Strain case (1984) was of interest to me because I was a Scout that year and had friends in a Mililani troop (but not that one, I don't think). The report is impossible to read, so I got nothing out of that.

There are two records (1982) in the db for the Dunham cases, with two different troops listed, but the reports are identical. No details are given, but he was on active duty in the Air Force with 26 years' service and was asked to retire of this situation. From the report: "The improprieties referred to charges, which he did not challenge during court martial proceedings, that he had taken indecent liberties with toys in his troop. The man maintains that the incident was not as it was represented but has, nevertheless, accepted removal from Scouting."

I grew up in Scouting and treasure my memories in the organization. It's with relief that I don't see any familiar names and that my troop doesn't show up anywhere in the database. But my heart breaks for the thousands of people whose own experiences were so horrible. I'm still trying to sort through my feelings about all of this.

Do you have a link to the mainland paper you mention? My search was similar to the SA's: Those were the three reports with details. There were others listed but without names or copies of the documents.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh my...I wonder if that's the same Ed Dunham I met quite awhile ago. Scriv, I think I know how you're feeling as a family member attended the Virginia McMartin Preschool. That case still bothers me to this day...almost 30 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by Amati View Post
        The now public records list Hawaii's problem scout leaders and associates:
        • Dunham, Edward P.
        • Green, William L.
        • Kamp, Michael William
        • Kubic, Jerome W.
        • Strain, Gary L
        • Wilson, Dale Edmund
        • Zottoli, Joseph
        Aren't women also capable of perversion? (Long ago, I was a cub scout den chief, serving at the direction of a den mother, so I know that women also serve.)
        Greg

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
          ... that he had taken indecent liberties with toys in his troop.
          We all know you meant 'boys,' but the typo was so appropriate regarding the attitudes of sexual predators toward their victims, I couldn't resist mentioning it.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

That's not an error in my typing, but the actual text I copied and pasted from the OCR capture of the report. I edited another part of that sentence but missed that one. And yes, kind of appropriate.
            But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
            GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Do you have a link to the mainland paper you mention? My search was similar to the SA's: Those were the three reports with details. There were others listed but without names or copies of the documents.
              Here is the mainland online newspaper article.

This is the sentence within the article with the link (it is the ending sentence):
              To search the Boy Scout files, go to www.kellyclarkattorney.com.
              Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

I grew up in Scouting and treasure my memories in the organization. It's with relief that I don't see any familiar names and that my troop doesn't show up anywhere in the database. But my heart breaks for the thousands of people whose own experiences were so horrible. I'm still trying to sort through my feelings about all of this.
                Just as with Kamehameha Schools, who knows how many of these sexual assaults could have been prevented had the Boy Scouts reported *all* of these cases immediately to the proper authorities, instead of clumsily trying to adjudicate these situations in-house.
                Last edited by Frankie's Market; October 20, 2012, 01:36 AM.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                X