Benefit concerts at Crouching Lion Inn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benefit concerts at Crouching Lion Inn

Those of you who've been to the Crouching Lion Inn and heard live music there over the past two years probably met Carl Golden, who runs all the music stuff there and plays there a lot himself, especially the Wednesday night Open Mic events (which some of you have attended). He and his wife Toni (a schoolteacher) are extemely well known and loved out there in the Punalu`u area.
    Well, tonight there's going to be a benefit show to help them out -- their house burned to the ground this morning. It's already online at this link and I heard that several TV camera crews were out there just a few minutes ago.
    The Breaking News story includes:

A fire this morning destroyed a two-story house in Punaluu and left seven adults and two children homeless.
    Eight of the occupants were home when the fire broke out just before 6 this morning and escaped without injury.
    Firefighters said the home was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived at 6:04 a.m..
    Thirty-five firefighters from seven companies including five engines, two ladders, and a water tanker responded to the alarm.
    (...)
    A fire department spokesman said the home sustained heavy damage and is unlivable

The concert at the Crouching Lion tonight starts at 7pm. There's no charge for admission, but any donations to Carl and Toni will be accepted. They got out with only the clothes on their backs.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Emergency concert at Crouching Lion Inn for 03/23/11

KITV already has a 33-second video of the fire on their website at http://www.kitv.com/news/27295598/detail.html , and KHON has a picture on their website at http://www.khon2.com/news/local/stor...okdX0tZKg.cspx .

Comment

Last night's concert was an excellent start in helping the Golden family, and we're doing it again tomorrow (Friday) night, from 7 to 10pm. In the next couple of days I'll have a list of what items these wonderful people really need.
      There was a really big story about the fire in today's paper at this link. Front page coverage.
      The big problem, as the paper points out, is that the closest fire hydrant was "over 1,000 feet" from the house. ("Over" is right. It's about 2,000 feet!).
      Grrrrr...

Comment

Lika, keep us posted re: what is being done. This is one of the major functions of HT: supporting each other in our times of need.
        I missed the last two nights, but I'll help in the future!

K
        Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
        ~ ~
        Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
        Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
        Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Somehow I have a hard time grasping the concept of a concert as an "emergency". Perhaps a benefit would be more fitting. Just my 2 pennies.... which are worthless.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel View Post
            Somehow I have a hard time grasping the concept of a concert as an "emergency".
            I understand. Just to explain -- I put the word "emergency" in the thread title just because the benefit concert was going to be held in a matter of mere hours after my post. And also the Goldens were/are in urgent need of help.
            The next one is tonight from 7 to 10pm.
            Hopefully Kaonohi can make it there. (Thanks for your kind words, K.)

Comment

Working...
            X