Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made In Hawai`i

Comments on this recent editorial?

(BTW - the blogger is a close friend of mine - we play `ukulele together regularly - and she's met a few HT'ers, too.)

Re: Made In Hawai`i (FEED THE STATE)

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Comments on this recent editorial?

(BTW - the blogger is a close friend of mine - we play `ukulele together regularly - and she's met a few HT'ers, too.)
    I believe we need to support our self-sustainability. We buy lots of things from overseas, simply because they are not made here, but we need to have a positive flow of goods and services that 'feed the state.'

I ONLY buy Hawaiian eggs, Hawaiian milk, and other Hawaiian foodstuffs as much as possible.
    Manufactured goods is different, sometimes it is necessary to outsource part of the process. (Do you know how to recognize a "made in Hawaii car?*) I'm fine with 51% or more, but this is one of those slippery slopes that just isn't universally applicable.

A friend, an artist of Hawaiian descent, uses paints, canvas, frames and equipment from Europe, Asia and the Mainland, but paints TOTALLY Hawaiian themes. Granted, since the artwork is the valuable part, "Made in Hawaii" is satisfied.

Another artist friend (gee, I seem to have plenty artist friends!) uses island stone almost exclusively, but he's 100% Portagee, and his themes are not always Hawaii-oriented. But, it's 100% "Made in Hawaii."

We need to support, even with just a label, those things that feed monetary nutrient into our island economy.

In my opinion, that's what "Made in Hawaii" is about.
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Re: Made In Hawai`i

I fully support "Made in Hawaii" stuff, at least in my mind. This goes for anything "Made in America". Unfortunately, they are few, and the price tags don't agree with my wallet. Buying veggies direct from a farmer, like that one covered in the news a few weeks ago in Hawaii Kai, is the wave of the future. May not be good for supermarket business, but it would sure encourage more self sustainability.

Comment

Re: Made In Hawai`i

If the characters and website for my book were designed by a Honolulu based company and I wrote approximately half of the book itself in Hawaii, does that make it "made in Hawaii"?

Comment

Working...
        X