Bishop Museum on craigslist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop Museum on craigslist?

Saw this recently, and found it odd - http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/npo/1202600396.html the BM searching for person to fill a high position of prominence - VP of Developement
    Here's hoping the quality of most applicants accepted for interview are beyond the norm that can be found on cl.
    https://www.facebook.com/Bobby-Ingan...5875444640256/

Re: Bishop Museum on craigslist?

Originally posted by Ron Whitfield View Post
    Here's hoping the quality of most applicants accepted for interview are beyond the norm that can be found on cl.
    Perhaps they are hoping that by giving wide coverage to the opening, they will increase the applicant pool. And, by using CraigsList, they are raising the awareness of the position to people on the mainland who may be job searching (many people planning on moving to another area check CraigsList for homes to buy, to review the job market, etc.). I think it was a smart move to put the ad where job hunters might be looking. Plus, the ads are free, so it doesn't hurt anything to list there.
    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Craig’s List is often used for positions that are never advertised through conventional means, such as through the newspaper. A good example is a television news reporter job. The rationale is if you are keeping up with the latest news locally (as a good reporter should), you would already know that the position will soon be vacant. But for applicants from the mainland and elsewhere, you need an international source, so craigslist is the cheapest, widely-read way to reach them.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
      USA TODAY, page 2A
      11 March 1993

Comment

But you would think there would be a museum coconut wireless that would supercede the internet's version of a sidewalk shopper.
        And it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere outside of Hawaii.

Comment

Many people in Hawai`i believe the Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum (now commonly known just as the Bishop Museum) is funded through the Bishop Estate and has, therefore, unlimited funds.

Actually the Museum was created with and funded by the much smaller estate of Charles Reed Bishop in honor of his wife, Bernice. Over the years the museum has struggled financially, and a free ad on Craigslist certainly helps. Museum staff are notoriously underpaid; salary for say, the Assistant Director of Ethnology (responsible for care of the extensive artifact collection) was, and probably still is, slightly over minimum wage. The employees are dedicated, self-sacrificing people working more for the love of what they are doing than for the financial rewards. Over the years the museum has lost many qualified people who were just unable to survive on what the museum was able to pay them.

Positions that serve to bring in more money than they pay out in compensation are an exception, as the ad shows.

Our museum is a treasure for all Hawai`i's people to cherish. If you are ever trying to figure out a worthy organization to donate to, look no farther. They are also always in the market for volunteers.
          Last edited by Kaonohi; June 5, 2009, 12:02 PM.
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Just don't try to work for them if you aren't brown, my friend got the third degree from all the Hawaiian aunties over there for being white, and she's one of the most competent people (at her job) that I know. Yay for Hawaiian racism.

Comment

bishop museum has used craigslist for lesser positions. some months ago, iirc, they were advertising for some IT job. if they've had luck with lower-echelon hires from CL, they'd be hard-pressed to argue against using it for upper exec searches.
              superbia (pride), avaritia (greed), luxuria (lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath) & acedia (sloth)--the seven deadly sins.

"when you wake up in the morning, tell yourself: the people i deal with today will be meddling, ungrateful, arrogant, dishonest, jealous, and surly..."--meditations, marcus aurelius (make sure you read the rest of the passage, ya lazy wankers!)

nothing humiliates like the truth.--me, in conversation w/mixedplatebroker re 3rd party, 2009-11-11, 1213

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                Just don't try to work for them if you aren't brown, my friend got the third degree from all the Hawaiian aunties over there for being white, and she's one of the most competent people (at her job) that I know. Yay for Hawaiian racism.
                Not to say that your friend's experience isn't true, but I think it unusual. Many Caucasians, Japanese, Hawaiians and others work together there in harmony.
                Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
                ~ ~
                Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
                Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
                Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jewlipino View Post
                  I presently work at the museum and along with previously working there have over 10 years accumulated. I am Caucasian and haven't experienced racism the way portrayed above.
                  Yeah there are a few racists around, but they're of many races and against a few too. Idiots, though not in unusual proportions I believe?

Most people don't get paid enough compared to their worth at the museum.
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

But you would think there would be a museum coconut wireless that would supercede the internet's version of a sidewalk shopper.
                    1) I like that sidewalk .... in the past 12 hours there are at least 3 homes listed for over $900,000. Doesn't sound so lowly to me!
                    2) I believe that you cannot list outside of the area .... for example, jobs that are available in NYC cannot be listed in Florida, etc. Ditto for Hawaii jobs and items for sale, they go onto the Hawaii listing. (Someone let me know if I'm wrong on this...?)

Comment

I wonder........ could it be that they have someone in mind for the position but by law must advertise the position? I've seen this is academia. And museums don't fall too far from the tree. Some one who is going to search for a "professional" position would look in journals related to that field. Advertising a position like that on Craiglist or even in the paper would largely go unnoticed and the person targeted would be one of very few applicants. This way the museum gets who they want in the position and they satisfy the law.

Comment

you would think there would be a museum coconut wireless that would supercede the internet's version of a sidewalk shopper.
                        In case you haven’t figured it out, Ron, people worldwide have access to craigslist — even the Hawai‘i section. If a candidate from the mainland is in the market for a Hawai‘i job, he/she can check out the Hawai‘i section.
                        Originally posted by acousticlady View Post
                        could it be that they have someone in mind for the position but by law must advertise the position? ... Advertising a position like that on Craiglist or even in the paper would largely go unnoticed and the person targeted would be one of very few applicants. This way the museum gets who they want in the position and they satisfy the law.
                        I didn’t want to bring this up, but yes, this is another reason why employers use Craigslist. I do feel for the applicants who thought they were being given a fair shake.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                        USA TODAY, page 2A
                        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                          In case you haven’t figured it out
                          That's why we value your input of the completely unknown.

Comment

I wonder........ could it be that they have someone in mind for the position but by law must advertise the position? I've seen this is academia. And museums don't fall too far from the tree.
                            The job advertising requirement would mainly apply to government/civil service positions, public education institutions, and possibly, agencies that are required to do so due to federal/state funding that are received. Bishop Museum is not a public entity. But I don't know if they may be the recipient of a funding source(s) that compells them to advertise job vacancies in so-so number of publications and listings. Best person to ask would be someone who actually works in the museum. Perhaps Menehune Man could shed some light on this?

Some one who is going to search for a "professional" position would look in journals related to that field.
                            Advertising in an industry journal/trade publication devoted to musems would be the logical thing to do. But did you actually take a look at the Craigslist ad in question? Here is the job description:

The Vice President of Development is a member of the Museum’s senior management team and is responsible for the strategic planning and implementation of the day-to-day and long-term goals of the Museum’s fund development, planned giving, and major gifts programs. Prospective candidates should have experience in major gifts, foundation and corporate support, direct mail, fundraising events, and planned giving. Strong organizational and management skills required.

Whew! That's a mouthful. Strategic planning, management skills, etc. But the most important thing (and the most difficult thing) that will make or break the candidate is: is he/she any good at fundraising? That is what it all really comes down to.

There are a dozen bullets under the "skills" section. Not coincidentally, this item is the first bullet, in case anyone reading this ad didn't get the message that this job is mainly about fundraising.

• At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience in the fund development activities of a non-profit organization.

Now, it may be true that this "VP of Development" job will be advertised in some museum journal. But there is no reason to limit advertising this particular job to such publications, as this is not a curator or researcher position. As the first bullet shows, BM is not necessarily looking for someone with a museum background. They are looking for someone with experience in fundraising for a non-profit organization. So the ideal candidate's previous job might have been at a church, hospital, educational institution, charitable organization, symphony orchestra, etc.

Based on this and the fact that BM is cutting staffing and hours of operation, I would say that this Craigslist ad is serious and not a mere formality. Mired in a serious recession that may get worse before it gets better, it appears that the museum is sparing no effort to find the best qualified person for the vital task of fundraising, no matter where they are living now or what kind of organization they are currently employed in. Some people here may scoff at BM's Craigslist ad, but you never know who may stumble into it. A highly successful grant writer at a university who is looking for a new challenge. A membership drive coordinator for a public TV station who is looking for a change of scenery. Who knows?
                            Last edited by Frankie's Market; June 7, 2009, 09:24 PM.
                            This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                              Some people here may scoff at BM's Craigslist ad, but you never know who may stumble into it.
                              Very true. While I am looking at Craigslist for that $900,000 home mentioned previously, I just might see the job opening and tell my friend (the fundraising professional) about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X