Chlorinated Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chlorinated Water

I did not used to taste chlorine in the tap water on Oahu but lately (I think since the island-wide power outage) I have been noticing that the tap water tastes chlorinated. Oddly, if I leave a cup of water sitting for a few hours, it tastes even more strongly chlorinated than when it was just out of the tap. Am I just imagining things or has anyone else noticed this too?

Re: Chlorinated Water

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary coming out of my faucets. But if you are in doubt, you should test it out. That's what water quality test strips are for.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Kahalu`u water tastes good as ever, better than bottled, best I've ever tasted. Come get some! Free while it lasts....
      Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
      ~ ~
      Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
      Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
      Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

One thing is for certain, you folks in Hawaii have no idea how good the water is here.

Try SF Bay Area. They don't call it the Municipal Utilities District for nothing. You set a pitcher of water on the counter for an hour, then siphon off the top 1/4 and drink that. Tastes like crap no matter what.

Lots of things are bunk in Hawaii, but water is terrific.
        FutureNewsNetwork.com
        Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by Adri View Post
          Oddly, if I leave a cup of water sitting for a few hours, it tastes even more strongly chlorinated than when it was just out of the tap. Am I just imagining things or has anyone else noticed this too?
          Chemically, chlorine evaporates from water left sitting out at room temperature. I don't think BWS/Environmental Services use enough chlorine to even survive the trip between the tap and the container. Last time I noticed they were discussing moving from chlorine to bromine.

You might be tasting iron content. Not much to be done about that unless you install a filter on the tap or use something like a reverse-osmosis system or a whole-house conditioner (with varying degrees of success). Not a health hazard, anyway, more a taste preference.
          Youth may be wasted on the young, but retirement is wasted on the old.
          Live like you're dying, invest like you're immortal.
          We grow old if we stop playing, but it's never too late to have a happy childhood.
          Forget about who you were-- discover who you are.

Comment

Kaonohi: Thanks but that's a little far for me to travel for daily water

Frankie's Market and Nords: Thanks as well. I'm not the only one on my street who thinks the water occasionally tastes funny but it's not a consistent thing. I'm going to try a water filter

Comment

Working...
            X