Hanauma Bay Toilet Bowl closure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hanauma Bay Toilet Bowl closure?

I was turned away by a fence in the upper Hanauma Bay parking lot stating that it's a $500 fine to go past it, many years ago.
    So I went down to the actual bay and tried walking around the left, but a fence had been erected there with the same sign also.
    I spoke with a lifeguard and was told that the Toilet Bowl is now closed.

Been doing alot of online searching tonight... to find actual news concerning this, to no avail.

Did find this YouTube video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcWNz-cgvo

And this Wikipedia article stating it was closed in the mid nineties as I thought.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanauma_Bay

Does anyone know if it's been reopened?
    I'll check it out next time I head that way! Sure would make my day.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Hanauma Bay Toilet Bowl closure?

I found the Hawaii Dept. of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR) site.
    http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/coral/mlcd_hanauma.html

It does not explicitly ban visiting the Toilet Bowl?
    "Safety considerations
    Areas to be avoided, especially during rough water conditions, include Witches' Brew, a small peninsula and cove on the right side of the bay, and Toilet Bowl (also called Queen's Bath), a small pool around the bay's left point."

I'll find out for sure real soon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
      "Safety considerations Areas to be avoided, especially during rough water conditions, include Witches' Brew, a small peninsula and cove on the right side of the bay, and Toilet Bowl (also called Queen's Bath), a small pool around the bay's left point."
      I'll find out for sure real soon!!!
      Yes, whenever the water was rough and splashing over the paths to Witches Brew and Toilet Bowl, we'd unroll the fences at each end of Hanauma Bay's beach, at the start of those two paths. I'd guess they were closed maybe half the time.
      Good work, MM. I'm curious if Toilet Bowl has been permanently closed or not. Did you try calling Hanauma Bay and asking them directly?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I was snorkeling at Hanauma this past Sunday, and as of 3 days ago that fence is still up.
        ~ This is the strangest life I've ever known ~

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man View Post
          Did find this YouTube video
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcWNz-cgvo
          Good video. Pretty darned obvious why there were so many neck and spine injuries!

And this Wikipedia article stating it was closed in the mid nineties as I thought.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanauma_Bay
          Well, remember that Wikipedia quite often has mistakes in it, since a lot of it is reader-submitted data.
          For instance, on that same Hanauma Bay page it says "In the 1950s, dynamite was used to clear portions of the reef to expand the area available for swimming." They're wrong. It wasn't to expand swimming, it was done to open a channel for the very first underwater telephone cable to come into Hawaii. You can still see portions of that old cable right there in the reef opening, which is cleverly () called Cable Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            Well, remember that Wikipedia quite often has mistakes in it, since a lot of it is reader-submitted data.
            For instance, on that same Hanauma Bay page it says "In the 1950s, dynamite was used to clear portions of the reef to expand the area available for swimming." They're wrong. It wasn't to expand swimming, it was done to open a channel for the very first underwater telephone cable to come into Hawaii. You can still see portions of that old cable right there in the reef opening, which is cleverly () called Cable Channel.
            For confirmation, check out this History page on Hanauma Bay's official website, which says:
            "In 1956, the City and County of Honolulu sold the Hawaiian Telephone Company an easement through the bay for the first leg of a new trans-Pacific undersea telephone cable. Barges, trucks, and bulldozers were brought in. The contractor, Hawaiian Dredging, blasted a 200-ft. wide swath through the reef."

I just spoke to the office there, and yes, Toilet Bowl was permanently closed due to the hazard of rockfalls, which was happening with greater frequency.

Comment

Wikipedia quite often has mistakes in it ... on that same Hanauma Bay page it says "In the 1950s, dynamite was used to clear portions of the reef to expand the area available for swimming." They're wrong. It wasn't to expand swimming, it was done to open a channel for the very first underwater telephone cable to come into Hawaii.
              Hey LikaNui. If you have first-hand knowledge that the reef was cleared “to open a channel for the very first underwater telephone cable,” you should be a good samaritan and update the Wikipedia page. The power of that site is that unlike any commercial encyclopedia or almanac, Wikipedia can be edited by experts from around the globe. Even old futs smokin’ in da Windward crib.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

Thanks Tunnl... I think.
                And check out the reply I posted two minutes before yours...

Comment

1) Good video. Pretty darned obvious why there were so many neck and spine injuries!

2) Well, remember that Wikipedia quite often has mistakes in it, since a lot of it is reader-submitted data....
                  1) Just to point out the obvious. You and I choose to ride two wheel vehicles,
                  taking in to consideration the possibility of neck / spine and other injuries,
                  in order to do what we really want to, daily.

2) Many times Wikipedia has incorrect information, but concerning the closure of the "toilet bowl"
                  and approximately when was correct.

I stilll wanna go, bummer.

Comment

This is cool.
                    I was checking on the contact for the DLNR and discovered this page.
                    Hawaii Division of Aquatic resources
                    http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/contacts.html

I actually know Dan Polhemus and even spoke with him yesterday.
                    I know him as a research associate for the Bishop Museum.
                    So I'll get the scoops from "Da Man" soon.

Comment

Just had a great conversation with Dan.
                      He said that it is the City & County(of Honolulu) that is creating all the closed off to the public areas around. IE: Sacred Falls, Haiku Stairs, Hanauma Bay Toilet Bowl, etc.

He mentioned that the State of Colorado has instituted a liability cap of $100,000. Warning signs are posted and in most cases, the courts favor the State/Counties over plainiffs. Basically the individual has the responsibility of his/her own actions. As it should be.

So, the State and Counties of Hawaii have better options than just saying "No".

Comment

Working...
                      X