Happy Columbus Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Columbus Day!

Columbus Day commemorates the discovery of the Americas in Columbus's famed expedition to the West, in which he hoped to find a naval route to India. Instead, he found an entire continent that was mostly unknown to Europe, Africa, and Asia at the time. While other Europeans had sporadically visited the Americas earlier, and there are varied theories of even earlier contact by East Asians, Phoenicians, and others, Columbus's expedition triggered the great wave of European interest in the New World. Unlike the earlier visitors, Columbus aggressively popularized his discoveries and arranged for return voyages. While controversy remains about many of the actions of the era, the colonization of the Americas is still seen largely as a good thing and thus worthy of celebrating.

Columbus and 90 crewmen boarded the three ships that were to make the first voyage to the New World, the NiƱa, Pinta, and the flagship, Santa Maria.
    This is a federal Holiday, but I have to work. Do you? That's OK, I had a Monster Energy Drink this morning and I'm fired up!

According to talk radio, this is also Sigourney Weaver and Matt Damon's birthday. Sigourney is so beautiful. I'm gonna' call this "Sigourney Weaver Day".
    sigpic The Tasty Island
Working...
X