Honolulu Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honolulu Magazine

I recently picked up an issue of Honolulu Magazine for the first time in a while. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed... well... very haole. Maybe it's more of a money thing; Honolulu is a glossy city magazine (seems like every city in the country has one these days) and it's clearly aimed at the wealthy upper crust. But even considering the economic demographics, I still can't shake the feeling that this is a magazine written by rich haoles, for rich haoles. I know for sure that it's not aimed at me.

Re: Honolulu Magazine

Are you talking the issue with the Queen on the cover? And still too haole? Is it too high brow? I wonder if they reach who they think they reach.
    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
      I recently picked up an issue of Honolulu Magazine for the first time in a while. Maybe it was just me, but it seemed... well... very haole. Maybe it's more of a money thing; Honolulu is a glossy city magazine (seems like every city in the country has one these days) and it's clearly aimed at the wealthy upper crust. But even considering the economic demographics, I still can't shake the feeling that this is a magazine written by rich haoles, for rich haoles. I know for sure that it's not aimed at me.
      Honolulu Magazine has been published since 1888 (until 1966 it was known as Paradise of the Pacific) and was started under a royal commission from King Kalakaua. So in terms of glossy city magazines, it's one of the longest running in existence.

As far as it being written by "rich haoles", I'm sure that those who are employed by the magazine would get a good laugh out of that one. Is it targeted to an affluent demographic? Absolutely. But the affluent targeted are local professionals of all ethnic backgrounds, not just caucasian (I presume you did mean white folks). The majority of people I see driving the expensive cars and shopping in the high end stores that advertise in the magazine are more likely to be locals of Asian extraction.

You are certainly right about it not being targeted to those of us who don't have bundles of disposable income!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro View Post
        I got to look over the May 2007 issue at my Dentist's office which featured this article. I was hoping they would allow full access to the article which they stated would be available 6/05 but so far it's not.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing you were. Lot's of ads for high end luxury products. Their content did not entice me to buy a subscription.

Comment

Almost completely OT, but if anyone can get hold of some Honolulu magazines from about 1979-1982, please drop me a PM.
          "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Working...
          X