Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traditional or modern life - what would you choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Traditional or modern life - what would you choose?

Modern life for me! I'm as old as dirt, so I've been fortunate enough to learn how to live in the "traditional" way. I like that I have a choice!
    A proud sponsor of
    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Modern now. It will be "traditional" in the future.
      What is traditional now was modern then.

(You know what I mean... )

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
        Modern now. It will be "traditional" in the future.
        What is traditional now was modern then.

(You know what I mean...)
        lol

Yeah, just 7 years ago we used 100mb Zip discs to transfer files, in "tradition" of the floppy era. Compared to today's "modern" multi-gigabyte flash drives, CD-Rs and DVD-Rs.

Seriously, my answer to the question is:
        1) If it were possible, would you like to live off the land?
        Yes. I'm a country boy at heart, modern and urbanized only out of circumstance of the environment I'm in.
        2) If you believe that a traditional way of life is superior, explain why and in what way.
        I wouldn't say it's superior, because as you mentioned, it can be difficult, but I imagine it has its merits. I can't say for sure what though, as I've never lived strictly off the land. My mother sort of did when she lived on Parker Ranch, and has fond memories of it, if that's any validation.
        3) If you believe modern life is superior, explain why and in what way.
        Modern life can benefit human health, well being and longevity with the medical and dentistry technology available to day. At the same token, modern foods can be counterproductive to that (preservatives, pesticides, refined sugar (teeth). Also a modern home would protect you much better in the event of a storm or flood than a "traditional" home. Unless you lived in a cave. lol
        4) If you are some one who doesn't want to live in a traditional way, but were forced to, what would you miss most about modern life?
        TV and Internet. Car I can go without. I love to walk, even if it means walking from Waianae to Hawaii Kai.
        5) If you have lived off the land, what did you find rewarding and what did you find difficult?
        Never have, unless you count picking mangoes and growing a few herbs in the garden that.
        sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

If any of you get the chance Guns, Germs, And Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond is an excellent read.

The author suggests that Traditional or Modern, members posses the same level of intelligence. They just applied it differently. Things are the way they are due to environment. Also that traditional societies were not as eco-friendly as we like to believe. There is evidence to suggest that ancient Maori's killed off certain native mammals. Or the evidence of what happened on Easter Island, where religious beliefs caused the people there to cut down too many trees to erect their giant stone structures.

Sorry, I hope this does not distract from the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by GnosticWarrior View Post
            If any of you get the chance Guns, Germs, And Steel: The Fates of Human Societies by Jared Diamond is an excellent read.

The author suggests that Traditional or Modern, members posses the same level of intelligence. They just applied it differently. Things are the way they are due to environment. Also that traditional societies were not as eco-friendly as we like to believe. There is evidence to suggest that ancient Maori's killed off certain native mammals. Or the evidence of what happened on Easter Island, where religious beliefs caused the people there to cut down too many trees to erect their giant stone structures.

Sorry, I hope this does not distract from the subject.

Ah yes...Yali's question about the Haves and the Have nots. It was required reading for my World History and Civilizations course.Although part of the way things are can be contributed the environment (The rise of food production in the Fertile Crescent), there are other factors involved (domestication of animals, metallurgy, weapons and cavalry, transport and communication, writing, political organization etc. of the Haves)

A good read.
            Last edited by Keanu; April 7, 2007, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
              Life was simple, like my uncle makes reference to in his song "Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u".
              OMG, I love that song! Your uncle wrote that? My best friend used to live in Kahalu'u, and we used to go around singing it all the time.

Oh yeah, the question. I like to *think* I could live the traditional life, in fact it's one of my goals to try it one day. But I'm realistic enough to know I'll probably fail miserably and go running back to the city.
              "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Originally posted by modpirate View Post
                OMG, I love that song! Your uncle wrote that? My best friend used to live in Kahalu'u, and we used to go around singing it all the time.

My uncle wrote Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u while in San Francisco (That's what my mom says, Jerry Santos is my mom's youngest brother). I'm glad that Kahalu'u (for the most part) has been able to maintain its simple country persona. I think it's a traditional town.

Comment

My uncle wrote Ku'u Home O Kahalu'u while in San Francisco (That's what my mom says, Jerry Santos is my mom's youngest brother). I'm glad that Kahalu'u (for the most part) has been able to maintain its simple country persona. I think it's a traditional town.
                  Does Jerry live in Hawaii Kai now? I've seen him at The Shack twice already. I told him "Howzit Jerry" to which he smiled back and said "Eh, Howzit!".

I think Henry Kapono lives this side, because I seen him cruisin' the Hawaii Kai Costco a few times with his young Keiki.

I'll have to check out that Guns, Germs and Steel. Sounds like a great read.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                    Does Jerry live in Hawaii Kai now? I've seen him at The Shack twice already. I told him "Howzit Jerry" to which he smiled back and said "Eh, Howzit!".
                    Roger that.

Remember the old Primo beer commercial with howzit the dog?... "Eh, how come you neva said howzit to howzit, cause howzit said howzit to you."

Comment

Ah yes...Yali's question about the Haves and the Have nots. It was required reading for my World History and Civilizations course.Although part of the way things are can be contributed the environment (The rise of food production in the Fertile Crescent), there are other factors involved (domestication of animals, metallurgy, weapons and cavalry, transport and communication, writing, political organization etc. of the Haves)

A good read.
                      For me, GG&S was a recommended reading by Charlie Munger. I actually had the book sitting on a shelf for about 3-4 yrs. before I actually read the whole thing. Yes, there were other factors that determined who were the haves and have nots but I still view it as environment. Some did not have the photoperiod to domesticate certain crops, or like how Africa does'nt have animals that can be domesticated. Whatever amenities an area was blessed with determined what evolved later.

What Hawaii needs are country boys with money, with business know how. From what I observed, some lost the country to get the money, and those who are still country don't have much money. Hawaii needs those with both and hopefully you'll be/are one of them. Don't you think this is the only way to protect the land, So that people who are attuned to the land can remain stewards instead of being displaced?

Comment

I'm glad that Kahalu'u (for the most part) has been able to maintain its simple country persona. I think it's a traditional town.
                        I'm glad to hear that. One of the reasons I've avoided going to Hawaii (besides not wanting to be within a thousand miles of my family) is that I knew I'd get totally depressed at all the changes that have inevitably occurred. Nice to know some places are still the same.
                        "Luke, help me take this mask off. Just for once, let me look at you with my own eyes. No, it turns the other way, Luke. To the left. No, to your left. Push down and twist. Line up the little arrows. Never mind, I'll do it."

Comment

Working...
                        X