Merrie Monarch 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Merrie Monarch 2006

My "Ohana" placed 4th - HULA KAHIKO KANE.
    Halau Ke Kia'i A 'O Hula; Kapalama; kumu Kapi'olani Ha'o (552 points)

Congratulations!

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I can't seem to find any mention at all in the online press regarding the return of or any performance commentary about Mark Ho'omalu and his new Academy of Hawaiian Arts halau. Did I somehow overlook it, or did his halau get snubbed once again?

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        I can't seem to find any mention at all in the online press regarding the return of or any performance commentary about Mark Ho'omalu and his new Academy of Hawaiian Arts halau. Did I somehow overlook it, or did his halau get snubbed once again?
        "Of course, it's different instruments, kahiko and 'auana," said Aileen Que, from the "Oakland Raiders" halau of the Academy of Hawaiian Arts from California. "Drums versus strings. Once you're on the floor, you do the best you can do; both are pretty strenuous. Kahiko is pretty spiritual and expression plays a great deal in the performance. It's mostly in honor of Pele, so we take it very seriously."

'Auana, on the other hand, "is joyous and you move differently," she said. "And it caters more to love songs."

and...

The Academy of Hawaiian Arts' performance of "Ke kaua o ka waka nui" was a disco-driving and excitingly modernistic dance, with canoe paddles and grass ponchos as props, limbs akimbo to broadcast their contempt for the enemy. Then they saucily shouldered their paddles and strutted off, heigh-ho, heigh-ho!
        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Wow, mahalo Blaine. Just call me Mr. Magoo.

Funny, though, when I used the online SB's search engine, nothing Merrie Monarch-related popped up for "Academy of Hawaiian Arts".

Comment

Funny, though, when I used the online SB's search engine, nothing Merrie Monarch-related popped up for "Academy of Hawaiian Arts".
            Google finds some older references. I had no idea it had been around so long. I confess, even I didn't know Mark Keali`i Ho`omalu until my kids fell in love with Lilo & Stitch." He's definitely unconventional, but talented.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

He's definitely unconventional, but talented.
              He's also very abrasive in person, to the point of being very cocky and offensively intimidating when it comes to his style and knowledge of hula, but his talent is undeniable.

Comment

Wow, mahalo Blaine. Just call me Mr. Magoo.

That's because the search engine is Google and google hasn't crawled the newest editions yet. It takes a week or two before that stuff starts to show up in search results. (Ach, just saw PZ's post... oh well...)

"Academy of Hawaiian Arts" is a relatively new name for his old halau. He will claim it's a new halau, that he disbanded the old one. Whatever. It's still Mark's halau, no matter the name.

Mark should get the chip off his shoulder. He has chosen to follow his own lead and he should be comfortable with that. He puts out good stuff, in my book. But it's inevitable that someone would take offense. He should let it roll off and keep on keeping on.

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

He's also very abrasive in person, to the point of being very cocky and offensively intimidating when it comes to his style and knowledge of hula, but his talent is undeniable.
                  Oh...damn. I hate it when that happens. I can't think of a single reason or excuse that can justify being an a$$h0!e. Not one. Not even 'talent'.

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue

Oh...damn. I hate it when that happens. I can't think of a single reason or excuse that can justify being an a$$h0!e. Not one. Not even 'talent'.
                    The notoriety maybe? After he was snubbed years ago at his first appearance at Merrie Monarch (which, to me, shook the foundation of Edith Kanaka'ole Stadium that night), maybe he thought that being an a$$h0!e was the only way to offset and deal with all of that and still remain a contender waiting in the wings whether anybody liked him or not. I know it's still a lame and immature excuse, but his haumana must have some very good reasons of their own to be able to endure and tolerate his "eccentric" behavior and attitude, and you gotta give them a lot of credit for hanging in there and persevering.

Comment

The notoriety maybe? After he was snubbed years ago at his first appearance at Merrie Monarch (which, to me, shook the foundation of Edith Kanaka'ole Stadium that night), maybe he thought that being an a$$h0!e was the only way to offset and deal with all of that and still remain a contender waiting in the wings whether anybody liked him or not. I know it's still a lame and immature excuse, but his haumana must have some very good reasons of their own to be able to endure and tolerate his "eccentric" behavior and attitude, and you gotta give them a lot of credit for hanging in there and persevering.
                      Do you know what Mark's attitude was like prior to that first MM festival? I remember that particular festival and the waves he created.

A dozen or so years ago I worked with a mainland director who was the poorest excuse for a human being I've ever met. He had a dedicated staff who traveled with him. He treated every one of them like ca-ca. I finally took one of them aside and told him he did not deserve to be treated like that nor should he allow it to continue. All of those staff members were *allowing* that kind of treatment to continue. The member's excuse was that it was worth it because he learned so much. The director was extremely knowledgeable and creative. He was a great director. I told the staff member that he would learn twice as much if he stood up for himself and refused to be mistreated. To me the ongoing verbal abuse in front of everyone was a sign of insecurity. I told the director that as I quit the job and walked off the set. I won't watch the abuse and humiliation of others.

Learning (be it hula, filmmaking or whatever), no matter what the age, should be interesting, fun and, most important, abuse free! JMNSHO!

Comment

Kudos to Burl for his wrapup piece in the S-B today; I especially liked his description of wahine hair ("wild women of Wongo"!?!) Thanks for writing a piece that brings those of us who've never been to MM right into the stadium.

Comment

I enjoyed this year`s festival. It was good to see the awesome hula everyone displayed. It was nice having Mark Keliihoomalu`s halau coming back to the Merrie Monarch after some time away...
                          Every Halau was outstanding, Everyone on the Big Island deserves a Big Mahalo for a great job!!!
                          EVery year it get`s better and better.... IMUA
                          bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Did any of my stuff appear? Been without papers or Internet on the Big Island! Sending bits of copy via laptop and cellphone is like shoveling coal into a boiler fire ...
                            Burl Burlingame
                            "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
                            honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941
                              Did any of my stuff appear? Been without papers or Internet on the Big Island! Sending bits of copy via laptop and cellphone is like shoveling coal into a boiler fire ...
                              Ha! Or paper tape messages to the ships at sea! I can relate!
                              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

I flew back from Hilo to Honolulu on Sunday...

Spent a couple hours at the airport...

Noticed about 10 Halaus departing... (saw a couple members sneaking off to have a cigarette against their kumu's wishes)

The Hilo airport was pleasantly overstaffed... lines were not a problem....

Most the Halaus seemed to unpack at curbside....then count there luggage and check in as a group.

Was nice to see them at ease... however, most members seemed to be extremely exhausted and wanting to get home already.

It was a nice change of pace for me as I freaquently travel between Hilo and Honolulu... Much "Aloha" going on....etc...

Was a nice ending to a good week on the big island...

Best t-shirt seen from the merrie monarch...

"Body By Hula" (take on "body by jake")
                                "Hulalicious"
                                and
                                The traditional lei around the neck shirts....

"Also thought the Halau that sported the "TITA" designs on the front w/ explanation on the back was cool as they came into the airport w/ about 30 - 40 members it seemed like...

Simple observations of a departee at the airport.

Comment

Working...
                                X