No announcement yet.

What can we do to help the homeless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What can we do to help the homeless?

The StarBulletin keeps putting out excellent Editorials!

"Homeless crisis requires cooperation between city, state"
    http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/08/e...itorial01.html

"GOVERNOR Lingle has announced an ambitious plan to deal with what she accurately describes as a "major disaster and catastrophe" of homeless living on the beaches of Leeward Oahu. Lingle and Mayor Hannemann are scheduled to meet Monday to resolve their differences, and his cooperation might be critical for the plan to succeed."

Governor Linda Lingle is doing her utmost in helping to solve our Homeless Problem. As for Mufi...it remains to be seen. I hope and pray the meeting goes well for we all will be waiting for the results ~ not only the Homeless!

Homelessness affects all of us.

Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

A New Director for IHS! No moa da odda lady who neva like KauKau Wagon cook last year...remember? She is out!

Welcome to Connie Mitchell.
      http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/09/news/briefs.html

Auntie Lynn

btw: I'm sure glad those commercials will stop. Yeah, the one with da two wahines. If they want to ask for help show the people that needs the help not Rich bitxhes!

Comment

In today's StarBulletin http://starbulletin.com/2006/07/11/news/story08.html
        "Homeless issue nets governor and mayor"
        By Crystal Kua

"Gov. Linda Lingle and Mayor Mufi Hannemann stood together yesterday pledging cooperation after meeting to discuss homelessness along Leeward Oahu beach parks."

"It was a good meeting," Lingle said. "I appreciate the mayor being here and talking about something we both want to achieve, which is return the beach to the community and help those people who are living on the beach currently."

clap, clap ~ Big applause! Finally something coming together foa the people.

To see is to believe. The main thing it is done and the rest is now to be implemented as planned. What it is ~ no BS da people!!!

We not DUMB!

Auntie pUpule

Comment

The City of Las Vegas' latest attempt at resolving problems with the homeless population there apparently didn't go over too well.

The new ordinance makes it illegal to "knowingly establish" sleeping quarters near defecation unless that "deposit" is made in an appropriate sanitary facility. It was passed unanimously by the Las Vegas City Council as part of a bill making it a misdemeanor to go to the bathroom in public.
          Looks like the sh*t hit the fan on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
            The City of Las Vegas' latest attempt at resolving problems with the homeless population there apparently didn't go over too well.

Looks like the sh*t hit the fan on that one.
            It is also now illegal to feed the homeless in Vegas now.
            Beth Monk, a KKLZ-FM radio morning show personality, became the first person to receive a summons under a new city law that makes feeding the homeless a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $1,000 and six months in jail.
            http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/art...less31-ON.html

Comment

"The ordinance makes it illegal to run mobile soup kitchens or feed the homeless in city parks," Radke said. "Marshals are going to enforce the law."

Yikes!!!!!!! If Honolulu ever has a Lolo Law such as da one in Las Vegas...not only Sharon going Calaboose! Alohacandy, 1stwahine and da rest of the gang of da Kaukau Wagon crew!!!!

Auntie pUpUle
              Last edited by 1stwahine; August 21, 2006, 05:52 PM.

Comment

There was a thread above about adults moving home and it being frowned up.
                Well things happen...and I don't think its fair for others to jugde.

My husband and I had our own home, lived in Big Island ~ 2 good jobs 2 kids...everythings all good ~ then we let relatives move in bcuz they were evicted out their place, and little did I know they were into ICE. F***ed up everything, my husband started to use without me know, (becuz he knows I hate the Sh**)ANYWAY...one night I confronted him and the relatives and told him they go and he can go with them!

well they were all fu**ed up on ice that it got violent. That night I packed up the kids jumped on the plane and went home.

Been home with mom and dad, saving up, rebuilding my credit (house in kona foreclosed, hmmm no surprise)ever since. Now though with rising rent we decided rebuild the house, so that my little family can have own area and parents can have own area and we'll just do filipino style(they've got the biggest house on the block and the most cars too, and they're the hardest working people I know) for now. All of us pitching in and helping each other has worked out better for ALL of us.

Well thats my thoughts on that, we all need to do what best not just for ourselves but for others too
                Tristin-Mataiva . . . . . Zoom, Zoom, Zoom! ! !
                I sell cars...TTFN, have a nice day and Drive Safe!!!
                email: zoomhawaii@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  "The ordinance makes it illegal to run mobile soup kitchens or feed the homeless in city parks," Radke said. "Marshals are going to enforce the law."

Yikes!!!!!!! If Honolulu ever has a Lolo Law such as da one in Las Vegas...not only Sharon going Calaboose! Alohacandy, 1stwahine and da rest of the gang of da Kaukau Wagon crew!!!!
                  Auntie pUpUle
                  They close down church soup kitchens here too! And then we end up with more problems! At least it's a small helping hand. It may not solve the problem but it isn't hurting.
                  Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                  Sharing withother survivors...
                  www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Hey Auntie...you let me know if they shut down the soup wagon kau kau thing.

Sometimes I might sound hard hearted in this forum, but if you can't feed the homeless from the back of a van without a food service permit, or some other redtape nonsense, well thats just wrong.

Pennyante crap like that chaps my ass.
                    FutureNewsNetwork.com
                    Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

Sometimes I might sound hard hearted in this forum, but if you can't feed the homeless from the back of a van without a food service permit, or some other redtape nonsense, well thats just wrong.

ah timkona... your like me...hard... and then soft....

Comment

Originally posted by timkona

tHANKS Timkona! I will let you know and everybody too if ever it would come to that. I would make LOUD noise and gladly go to jail if I no can feed The HOMELESS.

dAT would be soooooo WRONG!!!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

The weirdest ironic thing about this???

The homeless could get fed free meals in jail!

I mean heck... in vegas they jail the feeders... not the homeless

Auntie... I know you would go to jail for this cause and I would be one of the first persons collecting bail money for get your okole out!

It would be very unjust if a law like this ever passed here in Hawaii!
                          Last edited by damontucker; August 21, 2006, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Then what?

Can't bring a dish to a potluck at the park if you the only person bringing a dish??

"Oh sorry, I guess I'm the only person who brought food. So nobody can eat."

Yeahright
                            FutureNewsNetwork.com
                            Energy answers are already here.

Comment

To keep a discussion going with 1stwahine that we had in another thread:
                              http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...4&postcount=51

Mayor Wright Housing seems like an ideal model for people that are homeless only because of the high costs of rent...not because of lack of employment.

Why can't the state build about 10 - 20 more across the state and make the rent a sliding scale as stated: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showpos...4&postcount=51

Comment

Originally posted by manoasurfer123 View Post
                                Mayor Wright Housing seems like an ideal model for people that are homeless only because of the high costs of rent...not because of lack of employment.

Why can't the state build about 10 - 20 more across the state and make the rent a sliding scale as stated
                                Simple: No moa MONEY!!!!

For more information on Public Housing: http://www.hcdch.hawaii.gov/

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                X