Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend visits `Iolani Palace

Here is her vibe upon visiting: http://bit.ly/GxWpb

anapuni808 (or anyone else): any insight as to the birdcage?

Re: A friend visits I`olani Palace

Sorry - I knew better. That should be `Iolani, of course.

And as soon as I typed this correction, I saw that someone kindly sent me a message to that effect (thanks). Wish I could blame it on finger-slippage, but no, I was just sloppy.
    Last edited by Leo Lakio; October 30, 2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Re: A friend visits `Iolani Palace

Either your friend had a very BAD docent, poorly trained in the history or your friend wasn't paying attention. I read what was posted and found so many errors in perception that I was shocked.

Whatever is placed in the rooms has a historical connection to the room and is as accurate as they can make it. In Victorian days, a birdcage was often used as a decoration - often without any birds. The birdcage was not there when I was a docent but if added later, it was done after much research. I may not always agree with the Palace on their methods but they are very careful as how things are displayed.

and as far as your friends blog goes - the Queen's bedroom is very different from what they described. The description was of the Imprisionment Room, not the bedroom. As for the portraits of the Kaiser & "Sissy" - I've no clue who those might be or where they were displayed.
      Last edited by anapuni808; October 31, 2009, 12:00 AM.
      "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
      – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Here's a portion of the reply she got from the Curator, which clears up a few things (including the birdcage) ---

Other than the lock box and quilt, the furnishings in the Queen's Imprisonment Room are period-substitutes. These are based on what was described in the Queen's autobiography, Hawaii's Story by Hawaii's Queen. While imprisoned, the Queen mentions having canary-birds, hence the period-substitute bird cage.

King Kalakaua did visit Vienna during his trip around the world in 1881. The Austrian Royal Family was not present in the city at the time, but the King was received by Archduke Albrecht. Although the Austrian Emperor did not visit Hawaii, the Prince and Princess Henri de Bourbon (a.k.a Count and Countess Bardi) of Austria were received at Iolani Palace by King Kalakaua and given the honor of a state ball.

Comment

Yes, that curator's reply is what we were taught. By the time the Queen was imprisioned, most of the Palace orginal furnishings had already been sold. What was placed in the imprisionment room was just the bare minimum of furniture for her use. and it was very simple. The birdcage seems to be a new display item since I was giving tours but certainly makes sense.

Can you friend tell me where the portraits of the Kaiser and the other lady were displayed? I haven't been inside the Palace for a while and am very curious. I know that research is constantly being done and restoration is ongoing. So, in the past few years much has changed and I'm just not aware of all the additions.
          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
          X