Favorite One-Dish Meals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Favorite One-Dish Meals

My Tutu use to make "foo chook", not sure if correct spelling.
    Made with belly pork, garlic ong choi and abalone and flat dried bean curd.
    Anyone had this b-4.
    bin dea-dunn dat.

Comment

Originally posted by ericncyn View Post
      aww! that's too bad! the arroz caldo of my childhood was redolent of chicken and ginger. it was like eating tinola but easier and more concentrated.

actually, glossyp, i should thank you two-fold for your post. it reminds me that a lot of filipino food has been influenced by spain and that there are permutations of several dishes throughout what used to be the spanish empire. to me, adobo always brings to mind vinegar, shoyu, garlic, onion and bay leaf; however, i've falled in love with the adobo dishes i've tried at several mexican restaurants (quintero's, for example). still, it's nice how, even tho this specific example is the result of forced conquest, food brings us all closer.

your post also reminds me that my grandma used to make nasty conconctions to heal me of ills. for example, she'd make me drink very strong black tea and eat dry toast when i had tummy problems (like the one i have now). i HATED strong black tea. ugh! i'd beg my grandma to add a little sugar but she would insist it would weaken the tea's medicinal properties, and so i'd have to gulp it down straight. yech! the funny thing is, whenever my tummy doesn't feel right, strong tea (which i now enjoy) and toast is the first thing i reach for...long before any pharmaceutical solutions.

so my grandma and your grandma had several things in common, it seems!
      Lovely observation about food and how it links cultures. Remember that old saying "Love is the universal language"? I believe that food is the universal language and people can met around a table and be enlightened by eating what is served in a particular country or household.

I swear your grandmother went to the same "Grandmother School" as mine! Exact same experience with the strong black tea. Like you, I now reach for it when I have an upset tummy.
      Last edited by glossyp; October 5, 2007, 07:05 AM. Reason: Grammar, the bane of my existence. Sorry, Scriv!

Comment

My fiancee makes this soup with dough dumplings. It's got a chicken stock base, some veggies, and these dumplings.
        There's some Chinese flavoring in it...soy sauce maybe ? She just mixes batter up and drops it into the boiling soup.

Big, doughy blobs of deliciousness
        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by tikiyaki View Post
          My fiancee makes this soup with dough dumplings. It's got a chicken stock base, some veggies, and these dumplings.
          There's some Chinese flavoring in it...soy sauce maybe ? She just mixes batter up and drops it into the boiling soup.

Big, doughy blobs of deliciousness
          Tikiyaki (a Sicilian), you chiming in on this thread brought to mind that PIZZA is the all-time country-wide FAVORITE ONE-DISH MEAL! No ifs, ands or buts.

Some may like ramen. Some may like fried rice. But when it comes to pleasing the masses, the go-to one-dish meal has got to be PIZZA!
          sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
            Tikiyaki (a Sicilian), you chiming in on this thread brought to mind that PIZZA is the all-time country-wide FAVORITE ONE-DISH MEAL! No ifs, ands or buts.

Some may like ramen. Some may like fried rice. But when it comes to pleasing the masses, the go-to one-dish meal has got to be PIZZA!
            Bah! Pizza is nothing more than Western/American machination. I'm sticking with Asian food.
            Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
              Bah! Pizza is nothing more than Western/American machination. I'm sticking with Asian food.
              Rah, rah rah! Sis boom bah!!

I hear you! I'm sticking with it too! Moa betta! Moa FLAVOR!

Especially, Fried Silet with Bituka!

HAHAHAHAHAH

Auntie Lynn
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Well, in our office, whenever there's a vote for a company-sponsored lunch: Pizza? or Bento? 9 out of 10 folks choose the Bento, including me.

Still, Pizza is certainly a runner-up.
                sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Three come to mind, one is from the oven and the other two are stove top.

Taco soup! On man that is one huge pot of homemade beans, we now use the fifteen bean soup-beans, hamburger, ground pork, black olives, onion, garlic, the sweetest & freshest corn, some frozen is very good...that you can find. (Lol how's that for a goofy sentence?) Man, oh!! dang lots of diced tomoatoes, a couple or three envelopes of taco seasoning depending on the size of your pot, and three envelopes, at least of the dry salad dressing mix...dang the flavor..CRS getting me right now, ranch dressing, yes!

The oven one I dig is Chicken Divan, oh man, rich and delicious, and the other stove top one is Chicken Spaghetti, not Italian but you cook two or three whole chickens, two works pretty well, cool & take off of the bone, by the way I cook after skinning chickens as well as they can be, (yes, once a year or so I do actually cook, but very rare) so it's not too fatty, well then you keep your chicken stock and put the chicken in it and a lot of (here comes the heart attack, LOL) Velveeta (there's lowfat and mexican flavor velveetas, now) is melted into the pot while you are cooking spaghetti, two or three boxes in another pot, and you use your favorite seasonings in that main pot, salt, pep, garlic powder, oh sorry, dangit..

..the yes! bay leaves (bad CRS today) oh wait, LOL you cook and add the spaghetti and add the cheese last, cuz that makes it the thickest, and mom got to where she'd add some broccoli, that's optional. This is a thick, cheesey soup that keeps ya full for hours. We used to eat it on the way out the door to high school football games on a cold Friday night.
                  Last edited by Karen; October 5, 2007, 04:32 PM.
                  Stop being lost in thought where our problems thrive.~

Comment

I made a big pot of PORTUGUESE BEAN STEW for tomorrow's UH-Utah State football tailgate. That's right, I said STEW, not soup. The spoon stands up! Those who want it soupy can just add their own water.

This is just a "chaser" for all the other tailgate fare.

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      I made a big pot of PORTUGUESE BEAN STEW for tomorrow's UH-Utah State football tailgate. That's right, I said STEW, not soup. The spoon stands up! Those who want it soupy can just add their own water.

This is just a "chaser" for all the other tailgate fare.
                      Where you tailgating at? I no believe the spoon can stand up in your stew!

Comment

You've obviously never had NEW YORK Pizza.
                        http://tikiyakiorchestra.com
                        Need a place to stay in Hilo ?
                        Cue Factory - Music for your Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                          Well, in our office, whenever there's a vote for a company-sponsored lunch: Pizza? or Bento? 9 out of 10 folks choose the Bento, including me.
                          What the 10th fella wanted?
                          Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

If the spoon refuses to stand up, I'll stick it in the mound of rice underneath!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                              If the spoon refuses to stand up, I'll stick it in the mound of rice underneath!
                              Hey OP, this is a "G"-rated program here. "G". Keep it "G". LOL!

I like my PBS "tick" too. Not soupy like waddah.
                              sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

No cabbage in my PBS, although sometimes I put in macaroni/pasta. But, just a little (< 1/2 cup).

Comment

Working...
                                X