Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Open 24 Hours

Originally posted by Palolo Joe View Post
    Can't go wrong with the Eggs Benedict at Wailana. Especially after 8 or 12 cocktails.
    I had to pop seven virtual Tums after reading this.

pax

Comment

My favorite 24 hours resturants are as follows:
      1) Zippy's- by the old Wistera restaurant
      2) Hungry Lion
      3) Likelike Drive Inn
      4) Wailana Coffee House
      Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
        Wailana Coffee House on Kalia and Ala Moana. I've never had anything good there.
        It's the only cheap diner-like place in Hawaii where I've had a great grilled cheese sandwich.

Comment

Originally posted by achow View Post
          My favorite 24 hours resturants are as follows:

2) Hungry Lion
          I used to work next to Hungry Lions, so I know about their food. Before the new owner took it over, the food was really going downhill. I once ordered a Hot Turkey sandwich close to closing and the brown gravy tasted like soap. I had Teriyaki something, and there were bits of egg in it, like they didnt clean the grill after cooking up some scrambeld omelette. And I have a personal problem about how much their food (and Zippy's) costs. Its way too expensive. The 'new owner' just sold Hungry Lions I think, it wasnt working out for him. Even with the price increase, I guess its tough to be in the food industry, even with a landmark name like Hungry Lion's.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent View Post
            I used to work next to Hungry Lions, so I know about their food. Before the new owner took it over, the food was really going downhill. I once ordered a Hot Turkey sandwich close to closing and the brown gravy tasted like soap. I had Teriyaki something, and there were bits of egg in it, like they didnt clean the grill after cooking up some scrambeld omelette. And I have a personal problem about how much their food (and Zippy's) costs. Its way too expensive. The 'new owner' just sold Hungry Lions I think, it wasnt working out for him. Even with the price increase, I guess its tough to be in the food industry, even with a landmark name like Hungry Lion's.

I haven't seen their mascot lately. What an awful job. Waving at motorists while encased in a heavy lion costume in the hot sun. Can you imagine the aroma inside that faded mangy-looking lion's head??

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
              That's right.. Byrons! They have such a huge menu board. Almost as "bad" as as Mililani Restaurant. Mind boggling. We used to stop by Byron's late at night when I worked for Hawaiian Airlines (long time ago).
              I used to work the late shift at Hawaiian Airlines too a number of years ago. I became very familiar with Byron's and the 24 hour L&L across the street. Found myself preferring the L&L since it gave more for the money; ie, for about the same price, eggs spam and rice at L&L came with an extra peice of spam and more rice than Byron's.

One late night eatery that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread or the other thread is Sanoya's Ramen on King St near McCully, open till 3am. The place is always packed. The crowd there seems to be mostly Japanese tourists who consider the place their secret inexpensive ramen shop outside of Waikiki. I've eaten there a few times, but have been turned off by the site and smell of the pile of unclean dishes visible in the kitchen as you walk through the entrance. Although not as good as Taiyo's, they are good for satisfying a late night/early morning ramen craving.

Recently opened is NeoNabe, which looks very interesting, and is open till 2am/5am, but I haven't tried them yet.
              Last edited by mapen; October 30, 2006, 05:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X