Kona Kampachi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kona Kampachi

I was surfing the web and came across this site about these yellowtail fish farmed at OTEC in Kona for the sushi trade. Has anyone at HT tried it? How is it compared to the Japanese Hamachi in it's taste and oily-ness?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Kona Kampachi

It has very light taste and delicate texture. I think it's best enjoyed as sashimi. I've had it prepared two different ways other than sashimi. In one case it was grilled and served with a simple ponzu-soy sauce and it was very good. Another way was with a too heavy miso-butter sauce which didn't complement the fish. Very pricey though.

Comment

Very pricey but very delicious if prepared simply (I bought it at Uwajimaya in Seattle for about $16/lb). Served it grilled with wasabi mayonnaise. Glossyp's right: it would make for great sashimi too. I think that's mostly how it's being served right now, because it is very light and delicate tasting, compared to maguro or tombo.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Pretty wonderful stuff. Thumbs up over here. I've only had it as sashimi.
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Does the Kampachi have the oily rich taste Hamachi has? I think it comes from the cold waters that produce the fat.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            Does the Kampachi have the oily rich taste Hamachi has? I think it comes from the cold waters that produce the fat.
            Not really. I know the taste you're talking about that is common to cold water fish. While the fish is almost buttery in texture, it doesn't have an oily feel or taste.

Comment

I would have to say that it almost tastes "clear." Not mealy, not fatty, just very refreshing.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

This is actually a farm-raised "kahala" with none of the problems encountered with wild kahala. No parasites in the meat and no risk of ciguatera poisoning.

It's related to the popular sashimi fish, "hamachi".

BTW, these guys tried raising papio but found they grew too slowly.

They were going to release 10,000 of the papio from the discontinued farm experiment into local waters (where they came from in the first place) but the state said "no". So they were destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Composite 2992
                  ...BTW, these guys tried raising papio but found they grew too slowly.

They were going to release 10,000 of the papio from the discontinued farm experiment into local waters (where they came from in the first place) but the state said "no". So they were destroyed.

I never knew this about Kona Blue. When was this?
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                    I never knew this about Kona Blue. When was this?
                    Not sure exactly when they were going to do this. One of the researchers there told me about it. It was right before they went into developing the Kona Kampachi project. We both shook our heads at the lost opportunity.

I understand that Anuenue fisheries are now raising papio for release. This would be similar to the idea behind raising salmon for release in Alaska and elsewhere.

This state certainly could use a lot more work when it comes to aquatic resource management. At the moment there is next to none.

Comment

Working...
                    X