• Show
Clear All

Re: Honolulu's best steakhouse?

Oh yeah, and the one at my house.
    Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Chucks.

ah yes. mauka, d.h. of duke's on sunday, yea?

Blue Moon, which as moved I think,

Bm moved? from da kine... wards?!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
        used to have to tasty Roquefort Steak, basically roquefort (like blue cheese) and butter on a nice cut of steak.
        I had that. It was yummy.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

yeah, i saw an ad for BM, it said waiks now.

i went back for the roquefort steak, but they took it off the menu =(

the best steak i ever had? the cedar plank steak at emerils in vegas. it was super good the first time i had it. i went back a year later and it didnt live up to the memory. which reminds me, anyone know where i can buy cedar planks in hawaii? none of the local hardware stores have it. i hope i dont have to go to some gourmet shop and pay alot for it. hmm.. i wonder if i can make up a roquefort cedar plank steak?
          Last edited by Hellbent; August 11, 2006, 03:31 AM.
          Aquaponics in Paradise !

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for posting! You guys came up with some spots I wouldn't have thought of which is what I was hoping for. The list research begins!

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbent
              yeah, i saw an ad for BM, it said waiks now.
              It's not Blue Moon, it's BREW Moon.

The Ward Centre restaurant hasn't closed. The Waikiki location is a cafe that serves beer on the second floor of Local Motion's Waikiki store.

Yes, the same place that MTV's Real World filmed at a few years back.

Comment

I won't bother mentioning my suggestions because they've been mentioned already!

I remember being at Buzz's Steakhouse Pearl City with the BF who was pissed at the fact that he had to go UP to the salad bar to get his own salad despite paying $30-$40 for his meal.

If, for some reason, you find yourself in Omaha, NE...Omaha Prime is the place to go. It doesn't get better than that.

[Looking forward to my annual Christmas gift of Omaha Steaks from my cousin in Lincoln!]
                Tessie, "Nuf Ced" McGreevey shouted
                We're not here to mess around
                Boston, you know we love you madly
                Hear the crowd roar to your sound
                Don't blame us if we ever doubt you
                You know we couldn't live without you
                Tessie, you are the only only only

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                  Hy's is excellent for its food, ambience (Audy Kimura live most nights), and service. The list should really begin with Hy's.
                  i absolutely agree...audy's dinner music is a delightful as any i've heard anywhere...their porterhouse is the stuff of food comas...sooo ono...
                  Don't be mean,
                  try to help.

Comment

I've been to RUTH'S CHRIS just once. Excellent, but I prefer HY'S. Have not yet been to MORTON'S.

For the money ($14.95), the Gaelic steak at MURPHY'S BAR AND GRILLE is the best. Beats anything at OUTBACK, STUART ANDERSON'S, BIG ISLAND STEAK HOUSE (and those places are good).

Another dish I need to try is the skirt steak prepared at 12th AVENUE GRILLE.

Comment

I'd put in my vote for Hy's.

Part of the magic is that they age their beef for 43 days.

And if you go there for the mellow music, go early. Audy's gig ends at 10 p.m.

Comment

Not necessarily calling it the best, BUT...

$9.95 for the sizzling steak platter on Wednesdays at Eastside Grill.

WINNAHS.

Comment

Kincaids at Ward has decent prime rib, so does Tiki's, but my vote for the best steakhouse in town is Chuck's Cellar (I think it's on Kaiulani) right next to Round Table. The sizzling ribeye is pretty awesome at Side Street too.

Comment

Certainly a contender is the Colony in the Hyatt Regency Waikiki...

Colony's Mixed Grill: Lobster with Drawn Butter and Ribeye (my choice) with Peppercorn Sauce. Also includes starch of your choice on the side, which for me was a fully-loaded baked potato. $36.

The Colony grills their prime, dry-aged cuts on live charcoal with Kiawe wood. Absolutely perfect, and you have to try that peppercorn sauce! It's like A-1 with a Tex-Mex twist.

On the cheap, it's hard to fault The Shack's 8 oz. New York Strip for just $11.99...

Dig those grill marks!

On the REALLY CHEAP is the Steak Plates served in front of Foodland's Koko Marina location (also available at other FL locations). Ribeyes grilled on live charcoal every Thursday. You get 4 oz. exactly, sliced up with rice and tossed salad for just $6. O.K.. that's not a steakhouse, but still, it's really ono!

I've been to the Outback Waikiki (next to Red Lobster) and Hawaii Kai locations (HKTC) several times. The Hawaii Kai location seems to be consistently better at cooking the steaks properly as ordered.

Definately Hy's.

Heard mixed reviews from friends, but haven't been yet to Morton's. Supposedly they offer free steak pupus at the bar during Happy Hour.

Wherever I order steak, it has to be done medium-rare (leaning on rare), preferably with A-1 and a fully-loaded B.P..
                            Last edited by Pomai; August 12, 2006, 01:16 PM. Reason: I feel better when I write
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai

Heard mixed reviews from friends, but haven't been yet to Morton's. Supposedly they offer free steak pupus at the bar during Happy Hour.
                              They do. Tender beef in little rolls, like mini-sandwiches. So good! The waiters keep bringing them around, too, so you can have plenty.

I've had dinner there a few times. It's very good, but I'm still recovering financially.

Comment

I went to the "Colony" at the Hyatt Regency when it first opened decades ago. At the time, they rolled a cart over with the primal cuts of beef: rib-eye; strip loin (NY); tenderloin (filet mignon). You'd order by the thickness (1", 1'1/2") or by weight (10 ozs., 12 ozs.) and they'd slice and weigh it in front of you before preparation. It was quite impressive as they weren't off by more than a half-ounce.

Also in the old days, Lyn's Deli in the Ala Moana Center (in the general vicinity of the present-day Food Court) had a NY steak dinner for $3.79, including the sides. The steak itself was a tad under eight ozs.

Comment

Working...
                                X