Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Hawaiians seek entry into Kau Inoa registry

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
    Why not? How can you heal if you begin with a tenet of exclusion?
    IMHO, of course:

We will be tearing down a system based on oppression and racism for the last two millenia, that just happened to be perpetrated by caucasian Europeans because they developed industrial technology first. I can totally understand how there would be mistrust of any caucasian purporting to lead the way to a new paradigm; that has been cruelly abused in the past, i.e. Christianity.

As a caucasian, I want more than anything to contribute to, and be accepted in, the new world community that I help build. I viscerally resent being excluded, as you would know from previous posts.

I would throw my support behind any third-world leader that demonstrated leadership, compassion and vision, even as my own government would brand me a traitor. For example, I am involved with advocating for developmentally disabled citizens. Hugo Chavez has put into law support structures that it will take decades for us to achieve in the US, even without the neocons taking us backwards since the 70's.

When I read the vitriolic posts against haoles in this forum, I despair in ever being accepted or taken seriously as a supporter of Hawaiian culture in my lifetime. So be it. There are still marginalized people that need help all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
      When I read the vitriolic posts against haoles in this forum, I despair in ever being accepted or taken seriously as a supporter of Hawaiian culture in my lifetime. So be it.
      Sadly, acceptance of this is not something I'm willing to make the reality of my children's lives and so I may never live in the place I love above all others.
      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Kau Inoa is designed to be voluntary Native Hawaiian registry whose first mistake is to give any notion that the control and maintenance of said registry is in any hands other than the Hawaiian Civic Clubs. OHA's connection to Kau Inoa should be noted in that they funded the registry with computers to physically house/store the data, as well as paid for the PR campaigns.

But OHA does not control/maintain/have access to the registry. I needed to know this because I have the kuleana within my own family to research whether or not we should register.

http://www.hawaiimaoli.org/KauInoa/FAQ.htm

Historically, it was the role of the different Hawaiian Civic Clubs to champion for decisions that were made in the AhaOlelo (Legislature). These were the first grassroots lobbying groups. Long before relegating their activities to the latest parade, the Hawaiian Civic Clubs were responsible for rallying the people--kama'aina, malihini, mahiko, 'oihanahana--to push for legislation and social reforms. In this respect, Kau Inoa is true to the roots of the land in terms of the process by which one gathers data for something as important as future governance. I have made my stance very clear in the past regarding my distrust for an OHA-backed initiative, but because it is imperative to me to base my decision upon fact, I have opened my mind considerably on the Kau Inoa process--even if I have yet to agree that my family should register.

That said, this thread, like so many others, really seems to stick to the same 'ol same 'ol pattern displayed around here. How often must the term 'racist' be bandied about before any of us bothers to go back and relook at broad opinions on the topic?

C'mon gang. There are a lot of pearls around just HT on the subject, potentials, reasons for, and wary pitfalls of sovereignty, Hawaiian rights, Y2K concerns, racial melding, economic drivers and co-existing autonomy. Hawai'i has the answers right in our face. It behooves us to take critical looks at them and have the guts to embrace those answers.

pax

Comment

It's funny that the post-colonialist mindset you exemplify is based on theories developed by white European men. It's simply a form of Marxism with race substituted for class. If anything good will happen for the indigenous peoples of the world, it will be based upon a return to local governance and agrarian traditions, not some utopian revolutionary rhetoric. Indeed, such utopian thinking was what caused the West to infuse their imperial adventures with demonic fervor. We must stop this nonsense somewhere. Simple is best. Hawaiians don't need a demagogue like Chavez, they need more farmers.

We will be tearing down a system based on oppression and racism for the last two millenia, that just happened to be perpetrated by caucasian Europeans because they developed industrial technology first.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni Martin View Post
            It's funny that the post-colonialist mindset you exemplify is based on theories developed by white European men. It's simply a form of Marxism with race substituted for class. If anything good will happen for the indigenous peoples of the world, it will be based upon a return to local governance and agrarian traditions, not some utopian revolutionary rhetoric. Indeed, such utopian thinking was what caused the West to infuse their imperial adventures with demonic fervor. We must stop this nonsense somewhere. Simple is best. Hawaiians don't need a demagogue like Chavez, they need more farmers.
            Utopian thinking is to believe that 6.4 billion people are going to go away so that 2 million indigenous people (estimated carrying capacity of Earth without technology) can live an agrarian lifestyle.

Comment

Better to have fertile soil than a bunch of hot air, in my unworthy opinion. Besides, I never said that everyone should live an agrarian lifestyle, or that such a state is desirable.

It has been estimated that the pre-contact population of Hawaii approached a million people. Now, given that the state of sururban sprawl has greatly decreased the acreage of arable land, we can't strictly return exactly to the way things were. On the other hand, the fact remains that we import 90% of our food. Imagine if somehow shipping costs soared beyond belief (like in most peak oil scenarios). We'd be dead. Therefore, for the sake of this land and its people, sustainable agriculture should be priority one. At least that's what this (mostly) non-Caucasian thinks.

Anyway, count me out of your revolution. But don't shoot me.

Utopian thinking is to believe that 6.4 billion people are going to go away so that 2 million indigenous people (estimated carrying capacity of Earth without technology) can live an agrarian lifestyle.

Comment

Imagine if somehow shipping costs soared beyond belief (like in most peak oil scenarios). We'd be dead.
                I think we just go back to greener methods of shipping like back to sails.

Comment

Anyway, count me out of your revolution. But don't shoot me.
                  If you fight what Castle and Cook did in Hawaii, then you already joined the revolution, because Fidel Castro fought the same company (Standard Fruit) in Honduras. And if you think that is ancient history, google on 'Prescott Bush and John Foster Dulles.'

I'm not violent, but while we are talking, others are already shooting.
                  Last edited by Mahi Waina; August 11, 2007, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Everyone tends to forget who these plaintiffs are. Go to the library and look them all up on microfiche. Can you say arrogant? Can you say vultures? Can you say 'they'll never let Hawaiians have control of THEIR OWN destiny and wish to dominate in every aspect of business here?'

I hope you all know they work for A&B and the reamainder of the Big Five and are doing this for financial gain of both the companies involved and themselves.

It is quite simple (look this up for evidence...I'm tired of further explaining...and I mean look this up at the library and state gov. archives, NOT the internet):

Alexander & Baldwin own Matson. They bring in most of our shite. They are also the ones developing most of the remaining open spaces that are supposed to be zoned for agriculture. They have also been instrumental in obtaining lands that would be used for DHHL for their own development (which is where one aspect of their lawsuits come in). Less agriculture = more shipping weight = more profit.

They have us all by the balls w/the fuel surcharge. Ask most any farm/nursery here if you don't beleive.

Keoni Martin's comment was pretty accurate. After all, more than anything else, Hawaiian culture was a celebration of plant and ocean life in the Hawaiian Islands. Rather than removing the people from their environment, these guys wish to 'take the island from the boy'. Either way, it's an aggressive tactic that should be disrespected.

I wonder what 'Iolani Palace will be like this Friday?
                    Sing with me, everyone!
                    "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                    like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                    --------------------------------------------------------------
                    http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                    The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                    http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Dupont, Monsanto, Dow, and Syngenta are also making it more difficult for farmers/nursery workers. I personally know someone who lost $12 mil. on Hawai'i island in product and is having the hardest time fighting Dupont in court (you'll see the story in Hawai'i Reporter very soon).

Overview
                      http://www.higean.org/what-impact.htm
                      Sing with me, everyone!
                      "Some folk'll never eat a skunk, but then again, some folk'll..."
                      like your mama, the slack-jawed yok'll.
                      http://www.haleakalatimes.com/ <--- better than MTV
                      The Nettle Caterpillar Must DIE!!!
                      http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/IP-22.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
                        I think we just go back to greener methods of shipping like back to sails.
                        Of course we will. But of course the snail-pace shipping speeds that sails and other pre-1900 methods of shipping that we might revert to as a result of peak oil will prevent us all from enjoying the level of consumption we have been used to until this point. All the better to turn to self-reliance.

Comment

Originally posted by DKP View Post
                          I wonder what 'Iolani Palace will be like this Friday?
                          It won't look like it did last year. The Friends of `Iolani Palace hold the permit this year. There is a ceremony planned that will be respectful of the place and the people and will show recognition to the Kingdom.
                          "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                          – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Of course we will. But of course the snail-pace shipping speeds that sails and other pre-1900 methods of shipping that we might revert to as a result of peak oil will prevent us all from enjoying the level of consumption we have been used to until this point. All the better to turn to self-reliance.
                            Not necessarily, let us assume we can build modern computer controlled sailing ships, GPS, etc etc. Then all one needs is a fleet of these ships to provide the frequency. Yes, I know I'm dreaming but hey, who knows right?

Comment

My sister Kanoe, my neice Maiyah and NEENZ.
                              REGISTERED. GOT OUR TSHIRTS. FILMED THE COMMERCIAL.
                              ___
                              "Be god to each other."

Comment

T-shirts aren't what Hawaiians are all about
                                If Bill Burgess and his hui want Kau Inoa shirts so bad, they can have mine. [...] Why do they want the shirts so badly? What do they think comes with the shirts? Good parking at the Cazimeros' May Day concert? Twenty percent off a Sig Zane mu'umu'u? VIP seating at Merrie Monarch? [...] You could wear a Kau Inoa shirt, get your name on the list and your life would not change at all. If anyone thinks being Native Hawaiian means suddenly your life is easy or charmed, he couldn't be more mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                                X