Non-Hawaiians seek entry into Kau Inoa registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Hawaiians seek entry into Kau Inoa registry

Getting back to the topic, I believe Kau Inoa is even more urgent, now that the U.S. census bureau has come out with some questionable numbers for kanaka maoli. Apparently some are disputing the government’s assessment. So I would say, that makes it even more crucial that Kau Inoa limit their registry to those with native Hawaiian blood.

If anything, it will allow them to get a more accurate count of just how many kanaka maoli live in their homeland.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
    USA TODAY, page 2A
    11 March 1993

Comment

Mililani said "another registry" - ahh, separate but equal. Brilliant !!

Miulang thinks it IS special to be Hawaiian.

As I said, both of these arguments sound exactly like what white folks were saying 50 years ago.

Why would you mimic behaviors of people that you don't agree with?

History is a harsh task master.
      FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
        Mililani said "another registry" - ahh, separate but equal. Brilliant !!

Miulang thinks it IS special to be Hawaiian.

As I said, both of these arguments sound exactly like what white folks were saying 50 years ago.

Why would you mimic behaviors of people that you don't agree with?

History is a harsh task master.
        The kanaka maoli ARE special because of what happened to them in the past. The world is coming to realize that indigenous people and their cultures are treasures and that they should be allowed to practice their culture in their own way. They should not have to be assimilated into the mainstream if they don't want to be assimilated. Indigenous people walked on their lands first, and they should be given respect for that.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          The kanaka maoli ARE special because of what happened to them in the past.
          Name one culture -- just one! -- anywhere on the planet, that has not suffered oppression in the past.
          Explain why every other oppressed culture is not also special.
          Explain how a given culture can be "special" if they have suffered the same as everyone else on the planet.

The world is coming to realize that (...)
          The entire world? Massive over-generalization, unsupported by factual references.
          Or did you find that on Wikipedia?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

^ So what's up? Haven't gotten a response, which could be explained away by my being on ignore, but...
            "Hey fool, we gots yo leada!"
            "But I can't even read good."
            "Whatever that means, you ____ peasant."
            "That (stuff) is the MOST BALLER THING EVAAA!!!!"

Comment

Change a few words in Miulangs post and it sounds something like this:

White people and white culture are a treasure and they should be allowed to practice their culture in their own way, White people should be given respect because when they got here, they took over.

Sounds silly huh? I'm all for practicing culture. Anybody's culture. Fun is fun no matter what label you put on it. Perhaps Hawaiians should bring back human sacrifice, and abandon the Christian religion, in order that they can have a little more legitamacy. Yeah right....and maybe white folk will start up slavery again. NOT !!

One of my favorite cultural pasttimes that many Hawaiian children partake in is called Soccer. Look at all those happy kids practicing their culture.

Inconsistency is the hallmark of most "indigenous" preservationists.
              FutureNewsNetwork.com
              Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                Name one culture -- just one! -- anywhere on the planet, that has not suffered oppression in the past.
                I might have to dig through my history books a little deeper but I'm pretty sure Anglos were never opressed by other cultures

Explain why every other oppressed culture is not also special.
                Think location. Hawaiians are special here because these islands are their ancestral home.

Explain how a given culture can be "special" if they have suffered the same as everyone else on the planet.
                Same as everybody else? You should back your comments up with facts.

Comment

Change a few words in Miulangs post and it sounds something like this:

White people and white culture are a treasure and they should be allowed to practice their culture in their own way, White people should be given respect because when they got here, they took over.
                  Not even remotely similar Tim.

One of my favorite cultural pasttimes that many Hawaiian children partake in is called Soccer. Look at all those happy kids practicing their culture.
                  Pssst Tim, Asians are not Hawaiians. Well, not unless they have the magic koko.

Comment

More slimy lawyering done by the anti-Hawaiian group. I'm not really sure what these people want, since they don't seem to be adversely impacted by the existence of the list (which I haven't signed up for, since I don't really need another T-shirt). Perhaps Thurston Twigg-Smith needed to take up a new hobby after his retirement from the Advertiser, so he and his buddies helped form a little mutal appreciation society dedicated to annoying Hawaiian activists. Not that annoying activists isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but becoming one in the process is doubly annoying.

I don't have any unique ideas at all or opinions worth considering on the issue of Hawaiian sovereignty, but I believe that Hawaiians, just like every other people, have a right to have pride in their own ethnicity. Perhaps this is irrational; if it is, then it is an irrationality on the same level as pride in one's country or family. It is irrational because love is irrational. After all, isn't an ethnos merely a large extended family? There's nothing wrong, then, in being a little "ethnocentric"!

Of course, men commit atrocities in the name of ethnic pride, just as they do in the name of religion, or the nation, or whatever. But abuse does not invalidate proper use. As long as we make sure to differentiate the difference between fanaticism and piety, between nationalism and patriotism, and between racism and ethnic pride, then we can breathe easy. If Americans of whatever ethnicity want to celebrate their unique heritage, let them do so. There is no such thing as a "mere human" and thank God for that! Otherwise we'd be living in quite a dull society.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                      I might have to dig through my history books a little deeper but I'm pretty sure Anglos were never opressed by other cultures.
                      "Might?" Oh, you definitely need to dig deeper. Or, assuming you had a decent edumacashun, just take a minute or two to think about what you just said.

Hawaiians are special here because these islands are their ancestral home.
                      Ah, but Miulang did not say Hawaiians are special "here" -- she merely said they're special, period. Big big difference.

Same as everybody else? You should back your comments up with facts.
                      Why? I said "Explain how a given culture can be "special" if they have suffered the same as everyone else on the planet." I didn't say everyone had suffered the same things, just that every culture has suffered, period.
                      Comprehension skills usually enable folks to have a better discussion, k?

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni Martin View Post
                        More slimy lawyering done by the anti-Hawaiian group. I'm not really sure what these people want, since they don't seem to be adversely impacted by the existence of the list (which I haven't signed up for, since I don't really need another T-shirt). Perhaps Thurston Twigg-Smith needed to take up a new hobby after his retirement from the Advertiser, so he and his buddies helped form a little mutal appreciation society dedicated to annoying Hawaiian activists. Not that annoying activists isn't a bad thing, necessarily, but becoming one in the process is doubly annoying.

I don't have any unique ideas at all or opinions worth considering on the issue of Hawaiian sovereignty, but I believe that Hawaiians, just like every other people, have a right to have pride in their own ethnicity. Perhaps this is irrational; if it is, then it is an irrationality on the same level as pride in one's country or family. It is irrational because love is irrational. After all, isn't an ethnos merely a large extended family? There's nothing wrong, then, in being a little "ethnocentric"!

Of course, men commit atrocities in the name of ethnic pride, just as they do in the name of religion, or the nation, or whatever. But abuse does not invalidate proper use. As long as we make sure to differentiate the difference between fanaticism and piety, between nationalism and patriotism, and between racism and ethnic pride, then we can breathe easy. If Americans of whatever ethnicity want to celebrate their unique heritage, let them do so. There is no such thing as a "mere human" and thank God for that! Otherwise we'd be living in quite a dull society.
                        This is the first time I've ever quoted an entire post, but I've done it in the hope that folks will re-read it. Unbelievably sensible, and it's Keoni's very first post here! [/applause] There's not a single word that I disagree with.
                        My basic point has always been that pride in ethnicity is perfectly fine. Demanding special treatment isn't.
                        Welcome to HT, Keoni!

Comment

My basic point has always been that pride in ethnicity is perfectly fine. Demanding special treatment isn't.
                          Welcome to HT, Keoni!
                          Mahalo nui loa. I hope you'll find my point of view to be refreshingly independent. I have my own unique ideas for promoting the Hawaiian nation, since I am in part one of the Tribe. Suffice it to say that they do not involve special lists or more Federal programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Keoni Martin View Post
                            I believe that Hawaiians, just like every other people, have a right to have pride in their own ethnicity.
                            No disagreement there. But when they start forming groups with definitive entrance requirement (like blood quantum) rather then anyone who is interested, I start wondering what's up.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                              The world is coming to realize that indigenous people and their cultures are treasures and that they should be allowed to practice their culture in their own way. Miulang
                              This is an excellent point and brings a larger issue into the discussion. The US is barely hanging on to its status as the last 'superpower' and good riddance!

A lot of us have been fighting for minority (racial, women's, disabled, gay) rights for years, and neocons/PNACers are giving us a bad name through their last, desperate attempts to cling to imperialist ways.

My only caveat would be that if any nation, culture or religion would defend oppression against its own people, for example genital mutilation of young girls, then there needs to be a united effort by enlightened citizens of the world to stop it, by education or force if necessary.

Who would lead this force? It can't be the US, because there is no credibility left. If a leader emerges, it won't be a caucasian, but hopefully it will include like-minded caucasians as part of its constituency, and the healing can begin.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
                                If a leader emerges, it won't be a caucasian, but hopefully it will include like-minded caucasians as part of its constituency, and the healing can begin.
                                Why not? How can you heal if you begin with a tenet of exclusion?

Comment

Working...
                                X