Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non-Hawaiians seek entry into Kau Inoa registry

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    But there is simply nothing special about being Hawaiian.
    YES there is!

Originally posted by timkona View Post
    Racism, and racial ethnocentrism, is stupid.
    I agree, but racism is a white man's word. Why do you use that word so much? This has absolutely nothing to do with race! This has to do with keeping a people and culture intact.

The hawaiian's are only trying to hold on to what little is left. Too much has already been taken away, but apparently some people believe we should be left with nothing, but it ain't going to happen. There are more hawaiians learning how to play the white man's game. We would rather have things done peacefully, but if it turns ugly, we are better prepared today to stand up and fight for what is pono. We'll win.
    A proud sponsor of
    http://www.haleamano.com

Comment

Should I be curious about this issue, or the one where five Native Hawaiian filed suit against OHA (the one where they were supposed to help those with minimum 50% Hawaiian blood but they extend to those of lesser blood requirement)?
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Mililani View Post
        I agree, but racism is a white man's word.
        Actually, that is not true. The equivalent word exists in at least five other languages I can think of, and three of those are Asian. The concept of embracing one's own race and/or culture over others is certainly not exclusive to Caucasians.

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
          Actually, that is not true. The equivalent word exists in at least five other languages I can think of, and three of those are Asian. The concept of embracing one's own race and/or culture over others is certainly not exclusive to Caucasians.
          According to the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest known usage of the word "racism" occurred in a 1936 book by an American "fascist", Lawrence Dennis, in "The Coming American Fascism". Kind of ironic huh? seems like Mililani was correct.

Comment

IMO trying to beat the "white man" at his own game is the surest way to lose one's identity in the end. The more you behave like your enemy, the more you become like him. I would recommend turning your back on him. What form exactly that would take I cannot say. Just say NO to Spam would be a start.
            “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
            http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by sinjin View Post
              IMO trying to beat the "white man" at his own game is the surest way to lose one's identity in the end. The more you behave like your enemy, the more you become like him. I would recommend turning your back on him. What form exactly that would take I cannot say. Just say NO to Spam would be a start.
              Then you also say no to paved roads, schools and hospitals. Wouldn't it be better if we imua together?

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
                According to the second edition of the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest known usage of the word "racism" occurred in a 1936 book by an American "fascist", Lawrence Dennis, in "The Coming American Fascism". Kind of ironic huh? seems like Mililani was correct.
                Yes, in reference to the specific English word "racism". I was referring to the general concept of racism or racial superiority - perhaps too broad a definition for this discussion - and the existence of equivalent words in other languages/cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahi Waina View Post
                  Then you also say no to paved roads, schools and hospitals. Wouldn't it be better if we imua together?
                  Despite the fact that those things already existed in the world when my ancestors were still dressed in skins, I take your point. IMO, yes it is better to build a future together but I, as a haole, deserve no vote in the matter. It seems to me it would require that the haole not be characterized as the oppressor, the usurper, the invader any longer. I think that letting that go would not be an easy matter for many. I would only hope that whatever is the future of Hawaii, that it can be on terms decided by Hawaiians.
                  Last edited by sinjin; August 9, 2007, 07:36 AM.
                  “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                  http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
                    So there are some things that the kanaka maoli can "legally" prove belong to their culture: hula for one and ku (tiki) for another.
                    Won't happen. You can't copyright/trade mark an entire style. There's no precedent for copyrighting/trade marking traditional songs or dance. You can copyright a *new* song, but not a old one where the author is long dead.

Besides, it would require the Hawaiians to actually get together with one voice. From what I've seen that's been the biggest problem for them to get anywhere. If they could do that, then they could get a version of the Akaka Bill passed that they want and get official recognition for their status.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                      Won't happen. You can't copyright/trade mark an entire style. There's no precedent for copyrighting/trade marking traditional songs or dance. You can copyright a *new* song, but not a old one where the author is long dead.

Besides, it would require the Hawaiians to actually get together with one voice. From what I've seen that's been the biggest problem for them to get anywhere. If they could do that, then they could get a version of the Akaka Bill passed that they want and get official recognition for their status.
                      Ahhh...this may be true today, but as you stated, laws are based on precedents. And if a precedent is set, then the laws can change. In Australia, for instance, the government there recognizes the aboriginal right of the first people to have trademarks placed on their "indigenous cultural intellectual property". There's no reason on earth why some of the akamai young kanaka maoli who are going through law school today can't attempt to put something like what Australia has to protect its aboriginal people in place here in the US.

And believe it or not, the kanaka maoli activists are coalescing. The activists who aren't with Kau Inoa have gathered together in an informal group called Hui Pu. They are the political arm of the kanaka maoli movement.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

From the link given:

3. Does Australian law protect ICIP?
                        Australian law only protects some ICIP, including:
                        • Works that are protected by Australian copyright law. Australian copyright law protects the material expression of an idea eg in a painting, a song that is written down or taped or a written story
                        • Moral rights of individual artists
                        • Designs that come under the Australian Designs Act

Australian law does not protect other aspects of ICIP, including:
                        • The underlying idea or information that is put into a work eg the story told in a painting
                        • A style or method of art eg cross hatching or dots
                        • Some performances such as dance and music if they have not been recorded at all
                        • In general, a community’s rights in an artwork

Looks like it's more a concept rather then law.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                          From the link given:

3. Does Australian law protect ICIP?
                          Australian law only protects some ICIP, including:
                          • Works that are protected by Australian copyright law. Australian copyright law protects the material expression of an idea eg in a painting, a song that is written down or taped or a written story
                          • Moral rights of individual artists
                          • Designs that come under the Australian Designs Act

Australian law does not protect other aspects of ICIP, including:
                          • The underlying idea or information that is put into a work eg the story told in a painting
                          • A style or method of art eg cross hatching or dots
                          • Some performances such as dance and music if they have not been recorded at all
                          • In general, a community’s rights in an artwork

Looks like it's more a concept rather then law.
                          Another example...this could get interesting if the kanaka maoli ever decided to pursue this recourse (they already have been recognized by the UN as an indigenous people).
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Were Hawaiians the very first to ever carve tiki? The very first to ever hula?
                            Seems to me that other Polynesian cultures were the originators and Hawaiians merely put their own spin on tiki and hula, which would make other cultures the owners of the wishful "copyright", eh?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                              Seems to me that other Polynesian cultures were the originators and Hawaiians merely put their own spin on tiki and hula, which would make other cultures the owners of the wishful "copyright", eh?
                              Oh well in the end we're all Chinese anyway right?
                              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
                                Hawaiians were the first to carve Ki'i with the images of Ku, Kane, Lono.

Hula originated in Hawai'i. Other Polynesian cultures have their own cultural dances but those dances are not Hula. Hi'iaka, the patroness of Hula, is a Hawaiian deity.

You're welcome.
                                Last edited by Keanu; August 9, 2007, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X