Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speaking of Paris, Where Is Gary Rodrigues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Paris, Where Is Gary Rodrigues?

Did Gary Rodrigues ever show up to prison. He was sentenced to 5 years.

"A jury found Rodrigues guilty last November (2002) of negotiating consulting fees for the union's medical and dental contracts and funneling those fees to his daughter, Robin Haunani Rodrigues Sabatini, without the executive board's knowledge and approval. He was also found guilty of accepting $117,000 in kickbacks from an agent of the union's life insurance carrier."

http://starbulletin.com/2003/10/01/news/story1.html

Did he show up? Die? Appeal?

Re: Speaking of Paris, Where Is Gary Rodrigues?

He and his daughter are still out on appeal. Might as well have them arrested and detained indefinitely as enemy combatants. Toss in Clifford Uwaine while you're at it.
    "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

As far as I've gathered, he and honey-girl had their appeals denied by Judge David Ezra. Sentencing has been scheduled for August, I think, but they plan to appeal the failed appeal. Good *cough* to know they were savvy enough to invest their loot in a way that allows for their legal expenses.
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...22/detail.html

Wow, looks like they finally got around to sending the Union crook to the slammer.

Even though it took 5 years, it's still a big day for Hawaii, .....maybe. We'll see how long he stays in before he gets pardoned or let out for health reasons or whatever.

But still, for Plantation Union Hawaii to actually convict and punish one of the strongest union leaders is a good sign.

Might actually mean i will see Hawaii change directions before I die.

Aloha

Comment

I am well-acquainted with the insurance agent who testified he passed the envelopes full of cash to Rodrigues: the agent was his high school classmate. Although against the law, these rebates (kickbacks) are a fairly common practice in the insurance industry.

Comment

Ian Lind has a good post about Rodrigues today. I did not know his long history of uncovering/covering this story. Well worth a read if you are following this tale of greed.

Comment

Originally posted by kamuelakea View Post
              Wow, looks like they finally got around to sending the Union crook to the slammer.
              Maybe. You mentioned a number of reasons he may be let out, but from the posturing of Rodrigues’ attorney Doren Weinburg, it sounds like they may take this all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. So, I think there’s less concern over trying to get out of the prison time. We’re talking legacies now, Kamu. Never say never.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

http://starbulletin.com/2007/12/30/news/story03.html

And it continues.

At least Gary boy will be able to enjoy Christmas, New Years and the Shugah Bowl before checking in.

We'll see how long it takes for him to be released for a "medical" reason.

Comment

Working...
                X