Bunda & Dela Cruz: screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunda & Dela Cruz: screwed?

Blogger Larry Geller is reporting that a Maui resident has filed a complaint with the Chief Elections Officer, citing Lt. Governor candidate Bobby Bunda may have failed to officially resign from his state senate seat (his term not expiring until 2012) in time to run for higher office.

The Star Advertiser's Derrick DePledge also gives his take on the matter.

Of course, the courts may rule in favor of Bunda. But can you imagine if it doesn't? Man, all those blue-and-red palaka print signs that Bunda's supporters have been putting up all over the place will have gone to waste. Tsk tsk!!!

However, a lot more teeth gnashing would go on at Donovan Dela Cruz's camp. Recall that the former city councilmember spent more than a year campaigning for mayor, with the expectation that Muliufi Hannemann would resign in order to run for Governor. Well, more than a few Dela Cruz supporters were surprised and dismayed when he gave up running for mayor and decided to run for Bunda's senate seat two weeks ago. And who could blame them for being disappointed? They spent many months canvassing all of Oahu and putting up "Dela Cruz for Mayor" signs. Now, they had to go and take them all down.

But now, if the judge rules that Bobby Bunda can't run for lt. governor this year, you can bet that Bunda will stay put as state senator. And that would mean that Dela Cruz is screwed..... big time!

I'm not a supporter of Dela Cruz. But man, if that scenario unfolds, I'll sure feel sorry for him. Even though every mayoral poll I've seen had him finishing no higher than 3rd (behind Kirk Caldwell and Peter Carlisle), Dela Cruz at least had a fighting chance in the race. And as I said, his supporters spent the better part of a year carrying out an ambitious islandwide campaign. If it turns out that Dela Cruz has no state senate seat to run for in 2010, it'll be a double-whammy of disappointment for all of them.... and probably some second-guessing that, win or lose, their man should have stuck it out in the mayoral race.
    Last edited by Frankie's Market; August 12, 2010, 08:47 PM.
    This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Re: Bunda & Dela Cruz: screwed?

(Yawn)

HK?
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Working...
    X