48 Bellows Vacation cottages for the military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 Bellows Vacation cottages for the military

Lots of people (neighbors?) seem to be against additional development there, and want to block the project. I've heard there's an anti-military bias in Hawai`i, likely because they have a VERY big footprint in the islands, particularly O`ahu.

I know first-hand that there just aren't enough of these vacation rentals to serve the need - you get long waiting lists for people whose disposible income isn't up to the Waikiki fees. Is this how we want to treat the people who are out there putting their lives on the line, ostensibly to protect our 'six?'
    Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
    ~ ~
    Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
    Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
    Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Re: 48 Bellows Vacation cottages for the military

I couldn't agree more. The fighting forces deserve the best treatment but very seldom get it.
    I fought under Your flag and was stationed at Pearl Harbour.
    A very funny actress lady ( Joanna Lumley) is running a campaign to allow the brave Gurkas to stay in our country. She is partly successful.

(Please Google and support)

Grey Man

Comment

Without giving this any serious thought or having any meaningful knowledge about the situation in my possession, I'd say it's not hard to understand resistance to further development of any kind for almost any reason.

Comment

Yes, and believing that active duty military members and retirees have somehow done more for us all and deserve ever increasing special privileges more than non-active duty, non-retiree former military members, school janitors, garbage collectors, policemen, firemen or any other government workers (or any other citizens, for that matter) is just politically correct hogwash. If anyone enlists in the military because they believe Bellows will have more cottages constructed for their exclusive enjoyment, I truly feel sorry for them. What say we reduce our military force to a level that the existing cottages will just suffice? That way, we save not only the expense of additional cottages, but also the expense of unnecessary forces and the hugh expense of a non-productive segment of the population and industry!
        Last edited by salmoned; May 8, 2009, 02:03 PM.
        May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by salmoned View Post
          Yes, and believing that active duty military members and retirees have somehow done more for us all and deserve ever increasing special privileges more than(...)
          I love the way you can present an opposition opinion without being demeaning or threatening. It is a special gift.

Yes, right. There are numerous groups who also deserve special consideration, and do not receive it. Firemen especially!

And, every time I pull into the NEX parking lot and see "Flag General" and "O-6 or above" given priority parking even before disabled.... I am reminded: RHIP, our system is screwed, there is no justice, and those who have the gold make the rules.

Then I think of my teammates: some didn't make it back, some didn't make it back whole. Most of us didn't ask to go. And FUGIT, it don't mean nuthin'.

Yeah Sal, why should we give special privileges to those who made it back?

How stupid can I be?
          Be Yourself. Everyone Else Is Taken!
          ~ ~
          Kaʻonohiʻulaʻokahōkūmiomioʻehiku
          Spreading the virus of ALOHA.
          Oh Chu. If only you could have seen what I've seen, with your eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaonohi View Post
            I love the way you can present an opposition opinion without being demeaning or threatening. It is a special gift.

Yes, right. There are numerous groups who also deserve special consideration, and do not receive it. Firemen especially!

And, every time I pull into the NEX parking lot and see "Flag General" and "O-6 or above" given priority parking even before disabled.... I am reminded: RHIP, our system is screwed, there is no justice, and those who have the gold make the rules.

Then I think of my teammates: some didn't make it back, some didn't make it back whole. Most of us didn't ask to go. And FUGIT, it don't mean nuthin'.

Yeah Sal, why should we give special privileges to those who made it back?

How stupid can I be?

Yo Boss,

Some of "Your Team mates" never made it back from the Falklands. I am not blaming Margaret Thatcher. We did a job which we chose to do.

That cold and stony ground in San Carlos and Elephant Island is now a resting place for many of my mates. Yanks and from all places.

We took a hammering and it broke my heart to put some of your troops ( only kids) under the earh at Goose Green.

Grey Man

Comment

I'm opposed to further development of the Waimanalo coast in any form, military or otherwise. It's one of the best and biggest beaches on the island, and development tends to kill beaches.

My other worry is that more cottages may take a chunk out of, or eliminate, the public camping at Bellows. I've been camping and having fun there all my life, and the threat of cottages taking that camp area away, or the possibility that some vacationing military family might call the MPs because my camp-mates have (once again) gotten too boisterous rubs me the wrong way.

Comment

I agree. It is most unfair to characterize people who are opposed to this project as simply having an unsympathetic attitude towards the brave men and women who serve in the military. Everybody knows they are putting their lives on the line. Nobody is disputing the idea that they deserve an enjoyable R&R. So let's not make this a pro- vs. anti-military debate.

I readily admit that I am not informed enough on the specifics re: the vacation cottage plan to take a position for or against at the moment. But one thing I know for sure: this is not the kind of issue that should be decided on a priori reasoning.
                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

My question is...
                  Who's the owner of this land for the proposed building site?
                  Is it outright military owned?
                  I don't know this critical info.

As long as permits gotten, built to code, etc...
                  Any owner of property should be able to do as the regulations allow. IMO
                  Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X