Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lingle says Obama "not local"?

Originally posted by MyopicJoe View Post
    I'm not familiar with journalism. Why does a writer sometimes include a quote, and sometimes omits one?
    If a story is just a string of quotes, you're not reporting, you're repeating. It's the reporter's job to put the topic in context and weed out the non-news.

And sometimes the remarks are paraphrased to provide clarity and interest.
    Burl Burlingame
    "Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
    honoluluagonizer.com

Comment

[...]
      What I'm guessing she was trying to say was: if Obama becomes president, he won't necessarily have Hawaii's best interests in mind.
      If true, I'd even have a problem with that, MJ. Any POTUS must have the best interests of the entire nation in mind. There will be decisions made that will positively impact Hawaii and other decisions that will negatively impact Hawaii. Ditto for the other 49 states.
      Does any Hawaii politician have influence with Obama? I wonder how many politicians will kiss up to Obama's grandparents, in hopes they'll whisper in Obama's ears.
      I doubt it'd do any good. Only Obama's grandmother is alive, is well into her 80s and, from what I've heard, is quite frail. Maybe sister, Maya, will be on the receiving end of those kisses!
      [...]Maybe we control the country's strategic stockpile of Spam.
      Oh shoots, you just spilled the (baked) beans!

Comment

Originally posted by buzz1941 View Post
        If a story is just a string of quotes, you're not reporting, you're repeating. It's the reporter's job to put the topic in context and weed out the non-news.
        Gotcha.

Being a journalist must be challenging, since you're walking a fine line. Trying to report things as accurately as possible, yet keep it interesting, and all on a deadline.

As a reader I want certain aspects covered more closely than others. Of course a reporter / editor can't make everyone happy.

Thanks for the insights, Buzz.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
        Any POTUS must have the best interests of the entire nation in mind.
        Good point, TS.

Oh shoots, you just spilled the (baked) beans!
        Heh heh, rut roh. I hope the Department of Homeland Security doesn't come knocking on my door!
        "By concealing your desires, you may trick people into being cruel about the wrong thing." --Steven Aylett, Fain the Sorcerer
        "You gotta get me to the tall corn." --David Mamet, Spartan
        "
        Amateurs talk technology, professionals talk conditions." --(unknown)

Comment

Obama is somewhat local. Is his glass of localness half empty or half full?

He didn't exactly run for congress to represent Hawaii, now did he. He backed a different State instead.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
            Obama is somewhat local. Is his glass of localness half empty or half full?

He didn't exactly run for congress to represent Hawaii, now did he. He backed a different State instead.
            Curiosity question...
            Politics completely aside...
            and, for the sake of debate...
            If Obama was, say, an actor or an author (oh wait, he is one!) or a sports celebrity, how would you label him with respect to his roots in Hawaii?

Comment

Am I local?
              http://thissmallfrenchtown.blogspot.com/
              http://thefrenchneighbor.blogspot.com/

Comment

If Obama was, say, an actor or an author (oh wait, he is one!) or a sports celebrity, how would you label him with respect to his roots in Hawaii?
                For one thing he is just another former State of Hawaii resident. Nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't matter to me if he pass or fail those "if you are a local" test. If Obama wants to talk about his time in Hawaii either good or bad he is entitled to it and quite frankly I don't see why Lingle is bringing this up, it's not like Obama is running for office within the State of Hawaii.

Comment

Did the Governor have any local in her?
                  This sounds like a set-up to a punchline.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
                    Did the Governor have any local in her?
                    This sounds like a set-up to a punchline.
                    Family board!

Comment

Originally posted by oceanpacific View Post
                      Once a local, always a local ....... he knows Rainbow Drive-Inn
                      I don't know Rainbow Drive-Inn. I'm born and raised on Moloka'i. Does that mean I'm not local?
                      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo lolo View Post
                        Pretty stupid,coming from someone born in Missouri,...
                        Lived on Molokai for a time, then on Maui.

I know that Obama is trying to convey the image of being an American (and I emphasized that) President. But until he start talking pidgin -- IMHO, no baser language than someone who speaks Cajun English from Louisiana -- then I'm convinced he's on the Kalihi side of the track (rather than the Hawaii Kai side).
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

The Star Bulletin references an interview the Fort Collins Now did with Linda Lingle ... Nowhere in it do I see her stating Obama isn't local.

I'm confused by the title of this thread, the organization of the SB article, and Mazie Hirono's response.
                          For the most part, I have to agree with this sentiment. Nowhere in any publication cited did Lingle say Obama is “not local” as the title of this thread implies. I do agree with the SB headline’s characterization, as she did dismiss and even mischaracterize his local ties, even while acknowledging them.

That being said, I totally disagree with most of Lingle’s speech, with the exception of the part that Colorado is hardly similar to Hawai‘i.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                          USA TODAY, page 2A
                          11 March 1993

Comment

The Star Bulletin references an interview the Fort Collins Now did with Linda Lingle. In it Lingle responds to Obama's implicit suggestion that Hawaii is just like Colorado, so Colorado voters should trust him. Nowhere in it do I see her stating Obama isn't local.

I'm confused by the title of this thread, the organization of the SB article, and Mazie Hirono's response. Is there a transcript of Lingle's interview, which I haven't found yet?

I don't expect much from people who automatically vote Democrat either.

Mike Fisch lived in Hawaii for about 10 years and ran a business here. Maybe he's full of aloha and love for the local people.

I don't automatically vote for the Democratic Party candidate. I vote for the candidate whose views on issues are similar to mine. If a candidate doesn't talk about the issues ,then I have to assume their positions are so toxic,they
                            won't even discuss them.

Comment

I've noticed TS looking askance at me during our HT lunches & get-togethers. She must not think a retired aerospace engineer who's lived more'n half his life in California is still local. Don't tell her I said so, though. I no like get beat up.
                              Born in Hawaii, too - Truss me

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
                                For the most part, I have to agree with this sentiment. Nowhere in any publication cited did Lingle say Obama is “not local” as the title of this thread implies. I do agree with the SB headline’s characterization, as she did dismiss and even mischaracterize his local ties, even while acknowledging them.
                                How exactly did Lingle "mischaracterize" Obama's local ties?
                                This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                X