Smoking & Smoking Bans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1stwahine View Post
    You or nobody else can or should tell a smoker when to stop.
    That maybe true.

I believe it is a person's right to smoke. It is a Smoker's choice.
    I'm sorry to reply this way, but....

Who said that????

it's "their choice" & "the right" to pass on second hand smoke to others, which also includes old people, asthmatic people & children, too?? which in turn makes them sick???

Auntie Lynn
    22 days and counting!
    Well.....

Good for you!!!.

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
    My dad quit cold turkey, too...after it was too late. The possibility of death was a strong incentive. But, just because your hubby's dad and my dad were able to quit cold turkey doesn't mean, in the least, that "anyone can do it as well". Smoking is an addiction. Everyone will react differently to withdrawal. The majority have a tough time. Nicotine is a drug, afterall.
    I suppose, so.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

Re: New smoking ban

Who's lived in their apartment longer, you or your neighbor? The unfortunate thing for you is, because of the tight rental market in Hawai'i, your landlord can pick and choose his/her tenants. If you can't come to a compromise with your neighbor, if it really starts affecting your health, and if the landlord refuses to do anything about turning your building into a smoke-free one, you might have to be the ones to leave. How many units are there, and do you know how many other of your neighbors smoke?

If I was a landlord, I would allow pets (like one small dog or 2 cats max) with a damage deposit, but I wouldn't allow smokers. Why? Because to decontaminate a smoke-filled apartment (I doubt many Hawai'i apartments have wall to wall carpeting, but if they do, once a smoker has vacated, you have to do extensive carpet cleaning and/or replace the carpeting, and repaint smoke covered walls, and replace or clean window coverings). Very rarely will a pet do damage to a wall. And fires are caused by people falling asleep while holding lit cigarettes or carelessly disposing of their butts. I've never heard of a pet peeing and causing a fire!

Miulang
      Last edited by Miulang; September 22, 2007, 07:53 PM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I just want to add.

I stopped smoking five days before I suffered a TIA. I believe if I didn't stop, I would have had a major stroke which would have caused me to die or left me with more medical problems. I did suffer weakness on my left side from the TIA. I also have some numbness on my face.

No one could have stopped me from SMOKING.

I tried many times.

The last time I decided to quit, I had $5.00 to choose to eat a sandwich or to buy a pack of cigarettes. I chose the cigarettes. I knew then the cigarettes were controlling me. I decided it was going to be the END!

Straight to Longs Pali, I went to purchase the Patch for $26.00 + tax. For seven days I followed it to the T. I realized it was a crutch. I didn't use it anymoa. Blaine told me about http://www.callitquitshawaii.org/ I have counselors to check on my progress as well as support groups.

One day at a time.

I want to Live!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
          Who's lived in their apartment longer, you or your neighbor? The unfortunate thing for you is, because of the tight rental market in Hawai'i, your landlord can pick and choose his/her tenants. If you can't come to a compromise with your neighbor, if it really starts affecting your health, and if the landlord refuses to do anything about turning your building into a smoke-free one, you might have to be the ones to leave. How many units are there, and do you know how many other of your neighbors smoke?
          We have lived in this building the longest. The only time that the land lady will change her rules & regulations is when my neighbor's (2 doors down) lease is up (when ever that is).

There is 8-10 untits/apartments in the building, & the ones 2 doors down are the only ones that smokes around here!!. Everyone else incuding us, doesn't smoke, & down below & a ways over, there is a couple just had a child recently a few month ago.

If I was a landlord, I would allow pets (like one small dog or 2 cats max) with a damage deposit, but I wouldn't allow smokers. Why? Because to decontaminate a smoke-filled apartment (I doubt many Hawai'i apartments have wall to wall carpeting, but if they do, once a smoker has vacated, you have to do extensive carpet cleaning and/or replace the carpeting, and repaint smoke covered walls, and replace or clean window coverings). Very rarely will a pet do damage to a wall.
          Personally, I really wish you were the land lady here (if that will be your rules & regulations for the buiding).

Infact, supposidly that there is no pets allowed, but it isn't wriiten on the rules at all. If that is true about pets here, which is kindof odd, because it should be the other way around. No Smoking, & pets allowed.

One day at a time. I want to Live!
          Good for you & I'm proud of you for trying to quit!!. =)

God Bless you!!. =)
          Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
            Good for you & I'm proud of you for trying to quit!!. =)

God Bless you!!. =)
            Thanks Serenity! Your words mean so much to me right now!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity View Post
              You know...

now that I think about it more, why can't they try to atleast quit, when there is countless of people out there in the world are already dying, & one of them is from cancer .

Why can't they just shutt their window closed, seeing as they love the smell/odor of it any way, why can't they just close their damn window?!?!.

I don't think I will be the one, I realy like my FRESH AIR!!.
              If it was me, I'd just shut my window for you. I'm more then willing to work with people on something reasonable. I fact I do keep my windows shut and it helps keep all the urban black dust from getting on all my things inside. As for quitting, if people want to quit fine. However it should be a personnal choice and not the product of other people dictating how others should live their own lives. That's a slippery slope of intorerance which doesn't seem all that bad until it targets something that you enjoy that may not be politically correct at the time. Can't we all just get alone?

Comment

Thanks Serenity! Your words mean so much to me right now!
                Awww. Shucks. I'm speechless,
                and all I can give you is a whole bunch of smiles.

Originally posted by AlohaKine View Post
                If it was me, I'd just shut my window for you. I'm more then willing to work with people on something reasonable. I fact I do keep my windows shut and it helps keep all the urban black dust from getting on all my things inside. As for quitting, if people want to quit fine. However it should be a personnal choice and not the product of other people dictating how others should live their own lives. That's a slippery slope of intorerance which doesn't seem all that bad until it targets something that you enjoy that may not be politically correct at the time. Can't we all just get alone?
                I guess my reply to that is, it is just like any other drugs, with exception of the fact that this one is the most legal of them all.

*People have to hit rock bottom in order for people to realize that they need to quit.

That's all there is to it.

Some just takes longer than others, & some realizes it way too late.

Now being repectful to others is a different subject altogether.

It seems like we (smokers ~vs.~ non smokers) are all like bull horns, & we continue to keep butting heads to see who will back down first.

Humanbeings, I tell you!. We don't seem to ever get satisfied, maybe that's because that's why we are always fighting with each other in some kind of form or the other, & can never come to an agreement.

*just to keep positive- I'm sure someday we will.

Aches & Pains

Comment

If it was me, I'd just shut my window for you. I'm more then willing to work with people on something reasonable. I fact I do keep my windows shut and it helps keep all the urban black dust from getting on all my things inside.
                  If only that was an option in every situation. But that's not reality. How many times have I had to give up my seat at a bus stop shelter because some inconsiderate fool upwind from me lit up and started puffing away. When I was young kid, I wouldn't say anything. When I got older, I used to speak up and politely ask them to not to smoke if they were upwind of me because of my asthma. Sometimes, they would apologize and move away. But the vast majority of the time, they would give me the stink eye,... or just plain ignore me. I would hardly call that behavior "respectful."

So I gave up trying to be polite. Now, whenever I catch the bus, I bring my portable mini-fan with me in case anyone lights up at the stop to blow that poison away from me. Ironically, the last time I did that, some of the smoke went right back to the smoker, and she started coughing and hacking. How do you like that, a smoker who can't stand her own second-hand smoke?
                  This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
                    So I gave up trying to be polite. Now, whenever I catch the bus, I bring my portable mini-fan with me in case anyone lights up at the stop to blow that poison away from me. Ironically, the last time I did that, some of the smoke went right back to the smoker, and she started coughing and hacking. How do you like that, a smoker who can't stand her own second-hand smoke?
                    YEAH!! MY KIND OF PERSON!! *gleefully jumping up & down while cheering for you smiley*

For, now & then, while we are out in about, we just like to be the rudest of them all couple. We cough & sometimes to the sound of "that stinks", or we would say or shout "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT STENCH ~OR~ WHERE IS THAT STENCH COMING FROM"!!.

Perhaps we might go the the store just to buy the same fan just to blow it out to their (smokers)directions aswell. lol.

Thanks for the awesome idea. =)

If it was me, I'd just shut my window for you. I'm more then willing to work with people on something reasonable.
                    I wish they my (smoking) neighbors would just think like you do!!.
                    Unfortunately, they just don't feel the same way!!. sigh!!.

I'm thinking....

If I had a signed petition from all of the tenants in my building, & send it to the land lady for my neighbor(s) to not smoke (or to stop smoking) in this building (8-10 apartments/tenants), & for them to walk out of this building a few feet away or so (if & when they want to lite up) , would that actually work at all??

Just curious, & just an idea.

What does any one think of this???

Hope to hear from any one soon.

P.S.

(If any, I will have to reply back some time Tuesday.)

Byeee.
                    Aches & Pains

Comment

I wish they my (smoking) neighbors would just think like you do!!.
                      Unfortunately, they just don't feel the same way!!. sigh!!.
                      If I had a signed petition from all of the tenants in my building, & send it to the land lady for my neighbor(s) to not smoke (or to stop smoking) in this building (8-10 apartments/tenants), & for them to walk out of this building a few feet away or so (if & when they want to lite up) , would that actually work at all??
                      Have you actually spoken with the neighbor yet, or are you still trying to force your solution on them in a roundabout fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                        Have you actually spoken with the neighbor yet, or are you still trying to force your solution on them in a roundabout fashion?
                        well.... Uhm....

First off, he said that "they may not even follw up with our request, even if we talked to them".

The next time, he said, that :"they are within their rights & I don't want to cause bad blood, & maybe I'm just a chicken."

I really don't want to go there & talk to them myself, because I'm already upset, & I might make everything much worse than it already is.

So...

I guess, sometimes, we just drop hints now & then (out loud), & hope that they are listening or hearing what we are saying.

Maybe I can write them a letter & also send a copy to the land lady about my written request??

I seem to be better in letters than I am confronting people, especially when I am upset already.

Can I also take them to court if they don't comply? or do I also need some sort of a doctor's note to add on as an attachment with the letter I will write (when or if I have to take them ot court??)

or should I just forget the whole entire idea & just suffer???
                        Last edited by Serenity; September 24, 2007, 09:38 PM.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

well.... Uhm....

First off, he said that "they may not even follw up with our request, even if we talked to them".

The next time, he said, that :"they are within their rights & I don't want to cause bad blood, & maybe I'm just a chicken."

I really don't want to go there & talk to them myself, because I'm already upset, & I might make everything much worse than it already is.

So...

I guess, sometimes, we just drop hints now & then (out loud), & hope that they are listening or hearing what we are saying.

Maybe I can write them a letter & also send a copy to the land lady about my written request??

I seem to be better in letters than I am confronting people, especially when I am upset already.

Can I also take them to court if they don't comply? or do I also need some sort of a doctor's note to add on as an attachment with the letter I will write (when or if I have to take them ot court??)

So the straight answer to Leo Lakio's question is "No, I haven't spoken to the neighbors." Reading your tortured excuses and reasoning is making me want to go smoke a cigarette and I don't even smoke!

Comment

Originally posted by glossyp View Post
                            So the straight answer to Leo Lakio's question is "No, I haven't spoken to the neighbors." Reading your tortured excuses and reasoning is making me want to go smoke a cigarette and I don't even smoke!
                            Ahhhh...don't even joke about it!

Plezzzzz.

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Of course you shouldn't have to suffer.

And I realize that I'm pushing you into an uncomfortable zone. No one likes to face the potential conflict in a situation like this, and we generally have been taught by experience to expect the worst outcome.

But I really think you have to give it an honest and direct try. You don't have to be rude, angry or manipulative. Come over as a friendly neighbor and have a straightforward chat with them. (Is there an outdoor common area where you can meet with them?) Don't pre-judge them as bad, just because they choose to smoke. Let them know that you have health concerns that you need to address, and ask for their cooperation. They might propose a workable compromise.

Remember - you may be living near these folks for a long time to come. You can set the tone here - one that will show them you are a good neighbor that they will want to get along with --- or that you are a behind-the-scenes troublemaker (in their eyes.)

Comment

Now being respectful to others is a different subject altogether.
                                Your neighbors are limiting their smoking to the insides of their own home. That IS respectful, Serenity. Until they are told that their smoke is getting into your house and causing you health problems, how are they supposed to know? You're not giving them a CHANCE to be respectful neighbors.
                                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                                X