No announcement yet.

Acer to Acquire US-Based Gateway, Inc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer to Acquire US-Based Gateway, Inc.

Acer, a Taiwanese company, is buying out Gateway Computers for $710 million.

In the second quarter, Acer was the world's fourth-largest PC maker behind U.S.-based Hewlett-Packard, No. 2 Dell, and third-ranked Lenovo Group Ltd. of China, according to research company Gartner Inc. Irvine, California-based Gateway is the third-largest PC vendor in the U.S. by market share after Hewlett-Packard Co. and Dell Inc
    This leaves HP and Dell as the only American manufacturers in the marketplace of major PC manufacturers.

It's a little bit alarming, particularly in light of recent rumors that Seagate Technology is being targeted by a Chinese company for possible sale. If it is sold, that would only leave Western Digital producing American-made drives.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Acer to Acquire US-Based Gateway, Inc.

source

Acer Inc. (TWSE:2353), one of the world's leading branded PC vendors, announced today it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Gateway, Inc. (NYSE: GTW). Gateway is the fourth largest PC company in the US and a leading retail PC provider. The combination will create a multi-branded PC-company with over US$15 billion in revenues and shipments in excess of 20 million PC units per year.
    and FYI, Gateway already bought emachines.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Re: Acer to Acquire US-Based Gateway, Inc.

Originally posted by adrian View Post
      source

and FYI, Gateway already bought emachines.
      That only leaves HP and Dell. Every other major PC manufacturer is foreign owned.

There have been rumors that a Chinese company wants to buy Seagate Technology, but the government is getting a little queasy at that prospect. If Seagate actually is sold, though, that will only leave Western Digital as a drive manufacturer in this country.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Does it really matter though since every component is practically made in China?

Comment

Originally posted by joshuatree View Post
          Does it really matter though since every component is practically made in China?
          It only matters because we're losing manufacturing jobs in this country and because it makes us even more beholden to the Chinese. Do we really want to be in any more debt to the Chinese than we already are?

Suppose our government got into a huff with the Chinese government and our government issued a trade embargo (or they imposed an export restriction barring us from buying their goods), which means no more goods from China. We'd really be in a world of hurt because almost all shoes made in this world and lots of important ingredients and food additives are exported from them, as are most of the things you can find in WalMart and KMart and Target and all those other discount stores, not to mention our kids' toys.

There's a book you can get on Amazon about one woman and her family who tried to live for an entire year without buying anything that was imported from China. I gotta read that book, because I know it's pretty difficult to be China-free already. So when I hear that we're losing another high tech company to the Chinese with the prospect of losing Seagate as well, then it makes me concerned. I want our country to be a healthy exporter of goods too, as well as a healthy importer. I don't like it when things are tipped so out of balance by our current relationship with China and the fact that they hold so much of our debt.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
          X