Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't fall victim to the 'Free Wi-Fi' scam

source

The next time you're at an airport looking for a wireless hot spot, and you see one called "Free Wi-Fi" or a similar name, beware -- you may end up being victimized by the latest hot-spot scam hitting airports across the country.
    I'm not sure, but I think there's a different icon for a adhoc network rather than the normal wifi connection people are used to looking at. I'll try to get a confirmation on that tomorrow at work.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Don't fall victim to the 'Free Wi-Fi' scam

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    source

I'm not sure, but I think there's a different icon for a adhoc network rather than the normal wifi connection people are used to looking at. I'll try to get a confirmation on that tomorrow at work.
    It's not just airports, I've already encountered that at hotels and public places. It's really just a pc to pc connection but scammers simply name the connection "Free Wi-Fi" to catch less savvy users. The icon would be a laptop connecting to another laptop.

Comment

If you see one I would start looking around to see who else is using a laptop.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Is there an actual HTML link on that? I only see "source" in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by i-hungry View Post
          Is there an actual HTML link on that? I only see "source" in the link.
          oh, sorry about that. Here's the link
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
          X