ISPs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISPs?

Any recommendations? One with combo packs of internet,phone and cable would be great. That's what I have now. One bill together=organized for me. Thanks!

Re: ISPs?

wait until Hawaiian Telcom rolls out their TV over internet.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I shouldn't be responding 'cuz I'm one untechie tutu...but...if you want/need a land line phone, I don't think we have such an animal.

Hawaiian Telcom offers DSL and land line phone but no cable TV. Oceanic Time Warner offers cable TV, RoadRunner and digital phone but no land line.

Ok all you tech heads. Did I even come close with this info?

Comment

Yes tutu, you got it right.

"One bill" sounds nice, but I think you'll pay for it. Oceanic's phone is cheaper only if you load up on the features. Since some people skip home phones for cell phones, keeping it simple might be something to think about.

Oceanic is the most expensive ISP. Yes, it's the fastest (download), but frankly, I doubt if most people would notice the difference the extra $15 a month gets them. I can do better things with that $180/year I save.

Hawaii Tel doesn't offer cable at this time. Depending on where you are, standard cable might be part of the rent. I think in time HawaiiTel will offer TV services. There are already services you can get over the Internet.

If paying bills really bother you, put them on a bill paying service. Then you don't have to go though the hassle of even paying one bill. (Just make sure the money is in the bank.)

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
          Yes tutu, you got it right.[...]
          <FAINT>

It pays to read all those scripts I cast!

Comment

Ok, I will look into the ones you all mentioned. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tutusue View Post
              Hawaiian Telcom offers DSL and land line phone but no cable TV. Oceanic Time Warner offers cable TV, RoadRunner and digital phone but no land line.
              Just nit picking here. Digital phone is Oceanic's iteration of Hawaiian Telcom's land line phone service.
              Check out my blog on Kona issues :
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Wanna get confused??? Just went to cover the hula bowl....the light poles at the stadium hung banners advertising Clearwire....and also, inside of the stadium...major advertising for Clearwire...now, I am confused!

Comment

Originally posted by hifotog View Post
                  Wanna get confused???
                  Confused about what? Clearwire offers broadband. They are slower then either DSL or RR. They are not the cost leader. They have even come out and said that they do not support running VOIP on their service.

The one advantage is that it's reasonably portable. It is the size of a good side modem and it requires a power outlet. But you can take it with you to different places. The question is is that one advantage worth it to you?

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                    Confused about what? Clearwire offers broadband. They are slower then either DSL or RR. They are not the cost leader. They have even come out and said that they do not support running VOIP on their service.
                    Although I recall reading a public notice a few months ago that Clearwire's
                    in-house VoIP service applied with the Hawaii PUC to offer service here.
                    Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Konaguy View Post
                      Although I recall reading a public notice a few months ago that Clearwire's in-house VoIP service applied with the Hawaii PUC to offer service here.
                      Quite possible, but I think the warning is still in place for anyone considering of running something like Skype over Clearwire.

Comment

Originally posted by OahuGirl View Post
                        Any recommendations? One with combo packs of internet,phone and cable would be great. That's what I have now. One bill together=organized for me. Thanks!
                        Unfortunately, simplicity in billing can lead to compromises in service in terms of performance ... depending on your needs. If you're a tech junkie like me, you'll want RRunner for fastest download of torrents at home, Clearwire for staying connected on the road (and "Slinging" DVR content), and Oceanic Cable for reliable regular & HD programming and a cell phone for all your calls.

On the other hand, if you want to totally simplfy, you could depend on Clearwire to deliver phone service, digital content and internet service all in one. You'd have to forego normal cable programming, but the savings would be substantial. And, yes, you can switch ports to outsmart any attempts Clearwire might make to stop your use of VOIP.

And, no, I'm not an employee of Clearwire, Oceanic or any ISP.
                        "If it's brown, it's cooked. If it's black, it's f***ed" - G. Ramsey

Comment

Clearwire is not getting rave reviews.

http://www.dslreports.com/comments/1592?1=1&p=1

Road runner

Download Speed: now up to 5 Mbps!
                          Upload Speed: up to 384Kbps!

Not from the Hawaii website though. I couldn't easily find their packages. They do tell you that their cable modem is "capable of speeds up to 50 times* faster than conventional 28.8 Kbps telephone modem". I don't know how conventional or mainstream 28.8 Kbps is nowdays. Exclamation marks are theirs

dsl vs cable in Hawaii An interesting article

http://www.yourcomputerminute.com/20...nses/#comments

Hawaiian telecom has fastest advertised upload speeds (768K I think) but how that translates into real life I'm not sure and would like to find out from Hawaiithreads members.

Thanks

Comment

Not necessarily HT members, but here are some sample speeds from Hawaiian Telcom users:
                            http://www.dslreports.com/archive?zi...t&start=Search

Comment

Originally posted by reineke View Post
                              Hawaiian telecom has fastest advertised upload speeds (768K I think) but how that translates into real life I'm not sure and would like to find out from Hawaiithreads members.
                              Getting 708K right now and that's through my Linksys Router. I think I've gotten higher in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X