Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI Activates Cell Phones Remotely for Wiretapping

Source
    The method used for listening in on conversations held by alleged members of Cosa Nostra is called a "roving bug" and was ruled to be a legal method of wiretapping by U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan. The bug was alledgedly used on two Nextel phones. It looks like all cellular phones are vulnerable to this sort of wiretapping according to CNet's findings:

The U.S. Commerce Department's security office warns that "a cellular telephone can be turned into a microphone and transmitter for the purpose of listening to conversations in the vicinity of the phone." An article in the Financial Times last year said mobile providers can "remotely install a piece of software on to any handset, without the owner's knowledge, which will activate the microphone even when its owner is not making a call."
    I guess this will take phone flashing to a whole new level.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: FBI Activates Cell Phones Remotely for Wiretapping

Originally posted by doc1456 View Post
    So if you find your battery life suddenly starts to really suck....

Comment

Oh well. I guess some civil servant will have to listen to some really boring conversations and voice mail checks.

Comment

As long as the MIB know your number or they can get it thru thier handheld tracer they can tap into your phone. and they can even activate the internal GPS. I know this for a fact. everytime your phone transmits it sends out the ESN numbers also.

Comment

They can't track your mobile phone if you don't have a mobile phone! BWAHAHAHA!

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
            As long as the MIB know your number or they can get it thru thier handheld tracer they can tap into your phone. and they can even activate the internal GPS. I know this for a fact. everytime your phone transmits it sends out the ESN numbers also.
            MIB?

Watching too much movies I see...
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

I am trying to be a vague as possible. I know about this by first hand knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by GeckoGeek View Post
                So if you find your battery life suddenly starts to really suck....
                UH OH! Maybe my battery is not dying!! Quick hide the!....wait I got nothin gto hide but the kids!
                Since when is psycho a bad thing??
                Sharing withother survivors...
                www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

Originally posted by speedtek View Post
                  and they can even activate the internal GPS.
                  If it has one. I don't think all the companies went that route to implement the required 911 services.

Comment

Well I guess I'm safe cuz I hardly have a cell signal where I live and when I am in range, it's either my car stereo pumping away, my kids screaming or the sound of my pants pocket. Oh yeah the clickity clack of my keyboard as I post threads on HT
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                    X