HELP-Search-Computer Company name..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP-Search-Computer Company name..

I have a tower HP/ windows XP, I need the best (failrly cheap if possbly), computer company to help me atleast bring some life if anything at all to my tower.

My Tower wont come on at all.

I just need to be able to print out ALL of my email that I have from all of different people.

It acted like it was going to hibernate, then later, nothing at all =(.

It just wont turn on =( =(.

I feel that somehow it can be fixed if temporarily at all, I just need a good recomendation of a company name from you, if possible a company that might be known nation wide, & there is one here in Honolulu (from you out there in the mainland), or unless you know of a company name here on Honolulu (Oahu).

Please HELP!!.

Hope to hear from anyone soon.

Aloha.

P.S. yes, I know that my tower is probably old, but I need a way to just bring some kind of life into it for a while inorder for me to just orint out my email addresses.

Aloha.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: HELP-Search-Computer Company name..

Do any of the power/HD lights come on at all?

Does the CD-ROM drive flash when booting up?

If none of these come on it could be a processor issue.

Did your computer in the recent past (when it booted up) ever freeze or lock up on you while running it, becoming more frequent or occuring closer to when it boots up to the desktop?

If it has then the problem could be a CPU fan failing causing the CPU to overheat or shut down.

Lately with the cold wet weather we've been having, I've come across three computers (desktop towers) that have had failing CPU cooling fans. One computer's CPU overheated and fried, two others were fortunate enough to have been shut down before any heat damage occured.

From your description of your failing computer, this could be the issue, but if it doesn't even power up (AT ALL) chances are you fried your CPU.

Is the data recoverable? Unless your hard drive physically crashed, data can be recovered. Is your E-mail stored on your computer or kept on your ISP's server? How old is your computer? What OS and CPU are you running?

Questions like these help determine if the computer is worth repairing if you're planning on sending it in to a repair shop as their hourly rates can be more than the computer's worth. If the data is what's important then you'll pay whatever you deem necessary to retrieve it.

Too bad you're not on the Big Island in East Hawaii because I would look at it for free and only charge for parts.

Good luck and you may want to PM Speedtek as he does computer repair reasonably.
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

If your email is stored on your hard drive, as craig suggests, you should be able to get the data back. It doesn't sound to me like a drive failure. There are a few places around that will charge you a flat rate for this kind of thing, but the places I knew of that do aren't around anymore.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Can you remove the hard drive yourself? Typically you remove both sides of your computer's case. The hard drive is held in place with up to eight small #1 Phillips machine screws, one molex power connector and one IDE ribbon cable. Remove all of these (make sure the computer is unplugged) and the hard drive slides out. Some computers have locking slide rails such as Dell.

Once removed that hard drive can be quearied with another computer and data pulled. When I pull data off of client hard drives, I use my bench computer that has a special removable IDE drive rack. This way the client's hard drive is now a Secondary IDE Slave drive and the computer will see it as just another storage device. Because the client's OS isn't running, my bench computer simply sees data so it bypasses all of the Windows passwords and log ons.

This kind of work is easy and usually takes less than an hour to complete.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Although if you've never done it, it will take all weekend, probably. It's exactly the kind of thing Adrian can do in his sleep. Where is that guy?
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener View Post
            Although if you've never done it, it will take all weekend, probably. It's exactly the kind of thing Adrian can do in his sleep. Where is that guy?
            He's working. Hey! Adrian, come back to HT. It's a New Year.

Auntie Lynn
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Wow!!. Thanks gang!!.

I didn't realize there would be so much replies here. Thanks so much.

I have no knowledge on how to open up a tower, & much less know what I should be looking at.

When I made some calls around (to search for a computer repair company that reached my price), I was given a guesstimate, a possibly being the power suply & a much needed memory for the inside of my tower.

My hubby had to go through a few channels to find a friend's Phone number, who could help me to fix my desktop computer (tower).

So, we had to pick up my tower from my hubby's other friend, who could not do much, & into another computer tech, who could possibly do much better than the last guy who looked at it.

What a reiief!! I didn't have to wait till Thursday fory hubby to find that guy's Phone number. We ended up having it fixed this evening.

Thaks soo much, for the effort of finding out & to try to help me some how.

Thanks again.

The Mystery has been solved.

Happy 2008 everybody!!.
              Aches & Pains

Comment

I think the reason why I wanted to save my tower (instead of getting a new one) is the fact that, I have my original music that I downloaded on my apple iTunes for my iPod, & I really wanted to save it, I just didn't want to get a whole new one, like my hubby suggested. I guess he didn't realize & didn't remember about my downloaded music, & I almost forgot myself.

I'm glad that I decided to save it as oppose to just getting all the email addresses I have in my tower, & not disposing after afterwards.

I have no idea (if it is hard or eay to do) how to copy music from my iPod to another apple iTunes.

So, I'm glad we found someone to get my tower fixed.

Aloha.
                Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                X