Affordable housing gap widens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable housing gap widens

Housing prices are rising faster than the rate that wages are growing, which is making the dream of an affordable house even more unattainable for many residents of Hawai'i. Because of the lack of new major retail developments and the cost of real estate in Honolulu, some big box retailers might also be thinking twice about expanding to Hawai'i.

The median home price more than doubled over the past five years, peaking at $640,000 last year, up from nearly $300,000 in 2001, according to the latest investment market report released this week by Colliers Monroe Friedlander Inc.

An anticipated reduction this year in the growth rates for personal incomes, job growth and overall gross state product will continue to widen the affordability gap for the average household to buy a new home, said Mike Hamasu, Colliers director of consulting and research.

...Office:

» Fewer large spaces will make it harder for large tenants to relocate or expand.

Retail:

» Retailers will continue to face hardships in expanding because no large scale retail developments are planned in Honolulu.

As rents and construction costs continue to rise, national retailers are reconsidering expansion to Hawaii.

Industrial:

» The shortage of vacant industrial land has resulted in a 100 percent to 150 percent increase in land values for West Oahu industrial parks over the past two years.

Multi-family:

» Honolulu apartment rents rival prices in San Francisco and Boston.

However, it is still not financially viable for developers to build apartments with construction costs of more than $300 per square foot.
    Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Affordable housing gap widens

Yeah, we were shocked to get our new assessment from the City and County. From $350,000 last year up to just over $550,000 this year. We were thinking about contesting the increase until we saw recent prices of even older homes in the area. Dang! Would've been just a waste of ink.

Comment

Re: Affordable housing gap widens

Good thing too. Because this real estate market is getting softer. Recently, I have been attending public hearings and touting the benefits of moratoriums all in an effort to stop development so that prices will continue to rise.

I have finally realized that the Politics of NO folks have been working FOR me all this time by stifling projects and helping to keep prices high. Now that I see the light, I can abandon any concern I used to have about the homeless. It is comforting to realize that all the anti-growth activists are working to help my property values maintain their lofty prices at the expense of those less fortunate than me.

FutureNewsNetwork.com
      Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Working...
      X