Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Kaka`ako aquarium, or not?

Originally posted by Miulang View Post
    I was always taught to leave things in BETTER condition than when I arrive, and I usually pick up trash when I see it.
    Amen. As the saying goes, "Take only photographs; leave only footprints."

Instead, you have plastic bags, pieces of paper and lord only knows what else blowing in the breeze all along Pulehu Rd. Thank god the tourists don't normally travel on that road. They would be appalled.
    Sadly, on O`ahu it's on back roads and on major roads too.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
      So you think that it's tourists who discard zillions of derelict cars and rusty refrigerators and bald tires and broken stoves and termite-riddled cabinets along the side of Hawai`i's roads, sometimes mere feet from the entrance to free garbage dumps?
      Feel free to come back to the discussion when you're able to make a distinction bewteen beaches and roads.Next time, try not to let your feeblemindedness get in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Keanu View Post
        Feel free to come back to the discussion when you're able to make a distinction bewteen beaches and roads.Next time, try not to let your feeblemindedness get in the way.
        That's kinda OT anyway, Keanu. (mea culpa, I may have been the one who derailed it in the first place). This thread is about whether the County should give a developer a $75 million tax credit to build a new aquarium in Kaka'ako. If anything, the subtext of this thread is whether a new aquarium should be built more for the taxpayers or for the tourists. I think that's where the conversation veered off to the beaches and highways of Hawai'i.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

That's kinda OT anyway, Keanu. (mea culpa, I may have been the one who derailed it in the first place). This thread is about whether the County should give a developer a $75 million tax credit to build a new aquarium in Kaka'ako. If anything, the subtext of this thread is whether a new aquarium should be built more for the taxpayers or for the tourists. I think that's where the conversation veered off to the beaches and highways of Hawai'i.

Miulang

I'll accept blame for the topic diversion. Thanks for bringing the original topic of conversation back into play.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui View Post
            So you think that it's tourists who discard zillions of derelict cars and rusty refrigerators and bald tires and broken stoves and termite-riddled cabinets along the side of Hawai`i's roads, sometimes mere feet from the entrance to free garbage dumps?

And to LavaGal -- methinks your tongue-in-cheek comment on this went WHOOSH right over a couple of heads.
            USED TO IT!
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

"Nemo" was brought up a little earlier in this thread. Not many people know (and the local aquariums don't really tell people this) but the clownfish from which the Nemo character was created are not Hawaiian reef fish and therefore not representative of what snorklers see.

Yellow tangs, Moorish Idols, hinalea, kole, ta'ape, aholehole , manini and mamo are the common Hawaiian reef fish.

Clownfish (ocellaris or percula) are endemic to the South Pacific, and waters off Indonesia and the Philippines. They're also bred and hatched in captivity now because they are so hardy. I have a couple of tank-raised tomato clownfish in my own tank right now, in fact.

One other cool thing about clownfish is they can change sexes! And if you have 2 of them in your tank, they'll agree with each other somehow that one will be the boy clownfish and the other will be the girl clownfish (and the female is always the LARGER one).

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe View Post
                Ahhh but if you worked smarter you'd be upper middle class by now
                HAHA! Oh but only if my chosen proffession would allow me the the opportunity to make more money. Sadly, a CAD Draftsman can only make so much.

"Nemo" was brought up a little earlier in this thread. Not many people know (and the local aquariums don't really tell people this) but the clownfish from which the Nemo character was created are not Hawaiian reef fish and therefore not representative of what snorklers see.

Yellow tangs, Moorish Idols, hinalea, kole, ta'ape, aholehole , manini and mamo are the common Hawaiian reef fish.

Clownfish (ocellaris or percula) are endemic to the South Pacific, and waters off Indonesia and the Philippines. They're also bred and hatched in captivity now because they are so hardy. I have a couple of tank-raised tomato clownfish in my own tank right now, in fact.

One other cool thing about clownfish is they can change sexes! And if you have 2 of them in your tank, they'll agree with each other somehow that one will be the boy clownfish and the other will be the girl clownfish (and the female is always the LARGER one).

Miulang
                I had a tank raised clown once even had an anemone that it got along with. I'd love to have a maroon/gold clown! Sadly, I moved and trying to move a marine tank is quite difficult and it didn't survive. Not to mention that a pet store allowed me to buy a choc chip starfish without informing me that it would eat the anemone

Next time someone's at the Waikiki aquarium, could you look at the exhibit that has how they run the water filtration system with the computer? I was going to write the manufacturer down to see if they made anything for home use but I forgot to.

Ultimately, I'd like to have a 100+ gallon bow front with live rock and a triangle triggerfish
                -kp!

Comment

Originally posted by Kungpao View Post
                  Ultimately, I'd like to have a 100+ gallon bow front with live rock and a triangle triggerfish
                  Heh. I've had some very expensive sashimi in my tank! Flame angels, Potter's angels, plus yellow tangs, squirrelfish, Hawaiian cleaner wrasses, coris wrasses, bird wrasses, ta'ape, etc. etc. Even had an aholehole I nicknamed Bubba who, by the time of his untimely demise, grew to be about 6 inches long, which was way too big for the 45 gallon tank I have! Finally I realized I was not meant to be the parent of really expensive Hawaiian reef fish (maybe it's because I don't clean the tank often enough and aren't religious about measuring chemical levels or water temperature) so I now just have "colorful" fish that are tank raised: my 2 tomato clowns and a couple of yellow tailed blue damsels!

Triggerfish are very very aggressive little buggers. And they love to chew on coral!

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; February 13, 2007, 06:49 AM.

Comment

I'm really rather impressed with your legislators this session. Not only are they debating critical issues like CON and Superferry, but they are considering using the $75 million tax credit to help support affordable housing on the North Shore. I think this would be a much better use of your taxpayer dollars than an aquarium would be.

A controversial $75 million state tax credit originally meant for an aquarium at Ko Olina Resort & Marina would go toward tax credits for affordable rental housing and tourism training facilities on the Leeward Coast, under a bill advanced by a Senate committee yesterday.

The measure would repeal the Ko Olina tax credit and instead establish tax credits of up to $50 million for affordable housing projects and up to $25 million for educational and training facilities operated together with visitor accommodations in the area.

To qualify for the tax credits, housing projects must rent all units to households with incomes at or below 60 percent of the Honolulu median income, which the state says is no more than $42,780 for a family of four. The housing and training facilities would be within the Leeward Coast, defined as Senate President Colleen Hanabusa's district, which spans Nanakuli to Makaha.
                    Did Sen. Hanabusa introduce this bill, since it's her district that would benefit from its passage?

Miulang

Comment

I'm really rather impressed with your legislators this session. Not only are they debating critical issues like CON and Superferry, but they are considering using the $75 million tax credit to help support affordable housing on the North Shore. I think this would be a much better use of your taxpayer dollars than an aquarium would be.

Did Sen. Hanabusa introduce this bill, since it's her district that would benefit from its passage?

Miulang
                      She probably did but cannot remember who asked her to do so
                      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

She probably did but cannot remember who asked her to do so
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too Funny!!!!

Good catch Craig!

Auntie Lynn
                        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Re: New Kaka`ako aquarium?

Tanks eh auntie!

Now back to the poll. I take offense to the selection that says "we" don't need another aquarium. Who is "we" the state of Hawaii or just Oahu?

Yeah maybe Oahu doesn't need one but I think we should be all encompassing when asking if there should be another aquarium anywhere in the state of Hawaii.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Re: New Kaka`ako aquarium?

I take offense to the selection that says "we" don't need another aquarium. Who is "we" the state of Hawaii or just Oahu?
                            Point taken, Craig. But when I started this thread, it was strictly about aquariums on O`ahu and not the outer islands. Thread drift got it off topic. So perhaps you could start another thread about aquariums on the outer islands, and include a poll for that too? Sounds like a good thread to me.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X