Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blockbuster

http://www.starbulletin.com/business...re_stores.html

Notice the ad for Netflix above the article.

Re: Blockbuster

Blockbuster who?

Yes I used to be a member and did frequent them when I was still on the islands (Ala Moana, Waimalu, Waianae Locations) well its no news down here that some of the locations once occupied by Blockbuster where closing left and right and few still lay empty each time I pass by it every day.
    Since the introduction of "Netflix" which I am a proud member of why bother goin down to the video store nowdays? It's all about convience and the very little time everyone has to actually make the trip to a blockbuster store.

Also, I trek down to the public libraries and manage to sweep up choke titles and if they happen to be on my Netflix Queue it gets deleted off of my list.

Comment

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bud...appear-in-2011

When was the last time you went to a Blockbuster or a Radio Shack?

Comment

These guys are dying a slow and painful death. But at least now, they have an owner with Dish Network stepping up to the plate, and providing an alternative revenue stream. The bad news is, if you were a Blockbuster rentee on the Windward side, it will be an abrupt exit...

3 more Blockbuster sites to close
        The parent company of the video rental chain will shut more Oahu stores this week

By Kristen Consillio
        POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jul 12, 2011

Dish Network Corp. will shut down Blockbuster locations in Pearl City at 850 Kamehameha Highway, in Kaneohe at 46-047 Kamehameha Highway and at the Kamehameha Shopping Center at 1620 N. School St.

All three locations were slated to close Wednesday, though an employee at Pearl City said that store will now close Saturday.

Blockbuster spokesman Kelsey Smith said the lease for the stores were not assumed by Dish Network as part of the April 26 asset purchase agreement.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
        USA TODAY, page 2A
        11 March 1993

Comment

Originally posted by TuNnL View Post
          These guys are dying a slow and painful death. But at least now, they have an owner with Dish Network stepping up to the plate, and providing an alternative revenue stream. The bad news is, if you were a Blockbuster rentee on the Windward side, it will be an abrupt exit...
          "Bad news" for who? Anyone who doesn't have a mailing address or high-speed internet access? Basically, those are the only people in this present day and age who need a bricks-and-mortar video rental store.

The Blockbuster employees in their blue uniforms will one day be like the milkman and the rollerskating carhop: a nostalgic memory of the past.
          This post may contain an opinion that may conflict with your opinion. Do not take it personal. Polite discussion of difference of opinion is welcome.

Comment

After NOT going into Blockbuster for years and years and years, I finally visited one just a few weeks ago. The prices are amazing! Most “new release” rentals are $1.99. The other (old) rentals are .99. And with each rental, you get a coupon for a free rental. So, for two rentals (a new and an old) at a total price of about $3, I got four rentals (two paid, two free). So, in essence, I’ve been getting rentals for about .75 for the last couple of weeks. And on Sundays, the prices drop by half. The only caveat is that they are all one-day rentals.

But with this kind of pricing structure, I don’t think Blockbuster will last much longer. How can they make money?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankie's Market View Post
              "Bad news" for who? Anyone who doesn't have a mailing address or high-speed internet access? Basically, those are the only people in this present day and age who need a bricks-and-mortar video rental store.
              I would disagree. I have used Netflix and all my family members are avid fans. But one thing you can’t do is check the disc for scratches before you rent it. At Blockbuster, you can do that. Also, it’s a lot easier to lose a Netflix disc since it comes in a thin paper sheath that doubles as the mail-back envelope. Get it wet, and you’re done. Blockbuster has the traditional industrial plastic cases. And finally, some are indecisive enough that they need a human being to advise them on movie choices. They usually find themselves in the same place as “spontaneous spur-of-the-moment” people who want a movie that night, and prefer Blu-ray bliss over the crappy quality of streaming video.

Hey, it’s a trade-off. But if there wasn’t a market for Blockbuster service, they would have shut down the entire chain overnight.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
              USA TODAY, page 2A
              11 March 1993

Comment

I've been a Netflix customer since they started about 10 yrs ago. They ship disks in an envelope that is somewhat like tyvek, inside the red mailing envelope. I've gotten the envelopes wet and nothing bad happened. If a disk is unplayable, I've gotten a replacement disk - often before they received the bad one back! Since they opened the Honolulu distribution center, if I mail a disk back on monday, I have a new disk to watch on wednesday. and I don't have to drive back to the store to return it. why in the world would anyone choose to go to Blockbuster? or Red Door or any of the other ones.
                "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

My wife used to work for Blockbuster, back when it was thriving, and even then it had an air of death about it.

Any Blockbuster conversation reminds me of this great video:

Historic ‘Blockbuster’ Store Offers Glimpse Of How Movies Were Rented In The Past

Comment

Originally posted by Honoruru View Post
                    After NOT going into Blockbuster for years and years and years, I finally visited one just a few weeks ago. The prices are amazing! Most “new release” rentals are $1.99. The other (old) rentals are .99. And with each rental, you get a coupon for a free rental. So, for two rentals (a new and an old) at a total price of about $3, I got four rentals (two paid, two free). So, in essence, I’ve been getting rentals for about .75 for the last couple of weeks. And on Sundays, the prices drop by half. The only caveat is that they are all one-day rentals.

But with this kind of pricing structure, I don’t think Blockbuster will last much longer. How can they make money?
                    and how much gas are you using to get back & forth from Blockbuster to get your 75 cents rental?
                    "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                    – Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Originally posted by anapuni808 View Post
                      and how much gas are you using to get back & forth from Blockbuster to get your 75 cents rental?
                      Zero! I live close enough to this Blockbuster that I can walk. And I walk everywhere. But you do have a point. If it was a block or two farther away, I'd have second thoughts. And the one day rental is also something to think about. I'm so used to two or three day rentals.

Comment

http://www.khon2.com/2013/06/22/seco...uled-to-close/

Just one Blockbuster store left.

Comment

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/seth-ro...231208864.html

This is the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X