What's Still Free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Still Free?

The other day I had to fill my car's tires with air, when, after finding out my regular service station's compressors were out of order, drove up King street to an alternative service station.

Come to find out, unlike my regular self-serve service station who charges 50 cents for air (or water) via coin op', this alternative service station (still) offers air for free! Well, hey, air (and water) in its natural state should be free, but when mechanically compressed or supplied, of course there's an expense, which most service stations now pass on to the consumer. Used to be, all the service stations offered compressed air and water (for coolant) free, but not in this day and age. Not that 50 cents dents my wallet, but of course finding a competitor offering the same service FREE was nice!

Probably the most newsworthy current issue related to this subject are commercial airlines jumping on the 1st or 2nd baggage fee. No longer is bringing your personal effects on your travels "free".

Soon there might be coin-op machines at the entrance of business' restrooms. I can see that, as there's a major upkeep cost for maintaining (cleaning) a restroom, especially when the public can easily access it. There may be laws which prevent that (access fees), though.

So the question here simply is: What FREE products and/or services (or perks or comps) are businesses you frequent currently (or still) offering? And, is that an incentive for you to continue patronizing those establishments?

Does McDonald's still offer free coffee refills? I think that's what started the whole retirement class to hang out there.
    Last edited by Pomai; October 25, 2008, 11:41 AM.
    sigpic The Tasty Island

Re: What's Still Free?

Condiments at fast food restaurants.
    Condoms at Health Clinics?

Comment

Originally posted by Walkoff Balk View Post
      Condiments at fast food restaurants.
      Not some Jack in the Box locations, like those in Waikiki. Especially if you ask for Buttermilk dressing (for the onion rings!). Those costs 25 cents each. But worth it!

The trick to skip the condiment fee is to ask (very politely) when you pick up your order (after paying).
      sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

shipping and returns from Shoes.com

Comment

Originally posted by leashlaws View Post
          shipping and returns from Shoes.com
          thanks for the site reference leashlaws - now i can shop for shoes on line and not have to wait in line at the store

mahalo
          stay forever young

Comment

Originally posted by Seeking Penance View Post
            thanks for the site reference leashlaws - now i can shop for shoes on line and not have to wait in line at the store

mahalo
            You're welcome! And no tax! They always have saturday sales they
            email about too.

Comment

I pump my tires with a hand pump - not exactly free, but always available.
              May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union always has a table of free stuff. Coffee, pastries, cookies, punch, water, shopping bags....one or all of these on a regular basis.

Costco always has a buffet for sampling. Quick lunch if you are that cheap.

The massage parlor's down Waikiki always have free condoms. Though I will never understand why you need a condom to get a massage.
                FutureNewsNetwork.com
                Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Originally posted by timkona View Post
                  Hawaii Community Federal Credit Union always has a table of free stuff. Coffee, pastries, cookies, punch, water, shopping bags....one or all of these on a regular basis.
                  ooooohhh I am always up for freebies - i'm in the less fortunate category

Costco always has a buffet for sampling. Quick lunch if you are that cheap.
                  that is always a deal

The massage parlor's down Waikiki always have free condoms. Though I will never understand why you need a condom to get a massage.
                  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
                  stay forever young

Comment

No product is actually "free", the cost is just absorbed elsewhere. You pay for the "free" burger condiments elsewhere in the fast food charges; you pay for the "free" water and air at gas stations in the cost of gas, or soft drinks inside the store. The "free" food at Costco's food demo's is paid for by the manufacturer and passed on to you when you buy the product.

Even "free" things like blood pressure checks at the fire station, and library books, and other government freebies, are paid for through tax dollars.

What is free? The air, the wind, the sea, rainbows, snow atop Mauna Kea, waterfalls. Nature is free. Everything else has a price tag. Someone is paying for it.
                    Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Honolulu Weekly is free while the Advertiser goes up to 75 cents.

Comment

My opinion is free, and worth that much, too!
                        Now run along and play, but don’t get into trouble.

Comment

Junkmail or Politicians' mail-outs.

Comment

Originally posted by Pomai View Post
                            Not some Jack in the Box locations, like those in Waikiki. Especially if you ask for Buttermilk dressing (for the onion rings!). Those costs 25 cents each. But worth it!

The trick to skip the condiment fee is to ask (very politely) when you pick up your order (after paying).
                            That usually works at most Jack-in-the Cracks, but the one on McCully street will still make you cough up a quarter, no matter what.

We can’t be so fixated on our desire to preserve the rights of ordinary Americans.

— U.S. President Bill Clinton
                            USA TODAY, page 2A
                            11 March 1993

Comment

Plenty of stuff online still free (if you don't count the monthly fee you have to pay for access, though if you know where to go even that can be free with wifi).

1. Free email: Google Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, AOL mail, etc.

2. Free websites: Many services where you can create your own website for free and many more where you can view content for free (such as this one).

3. Free Music: Yes, legitimate free music is out there if you know where to look. The exciting new TheSixtyOne.com has tons of free songs to download for free. Amazon.com gives away a number of free songs every week. Even iTunes gives away a new free song as well as videos every week. Plus countless numbers of free streaming sites.

4. Podcasts: Thousands of them available for listening and download for FREE.

5. Free Blogs: Yes you can read nearly all blogs for free and create your own on leading services such as WordPress and Blogspot for FREE.

6. Free image hosting at various sites such as Flickr, BuzzNet, Photobucket, and dozens of others.

7. Free software: And yes there are tons of free software out there ranging from word processors, web browsers to complete operating systems. They vary in quality and complexity, but we are talking about "free" here, so you can't be choosy. Don't expect free Windows XP or Vista or free Mac OSX.

OK, I think I covered most of the major online freebies.

Next....
                              Last edited by mel; October 28, 2008, 08:49 PM. Reason: fix
                              I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X